American Samoa, Sat-Morn, 2-April-2005

  • Mark J Cuccia
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 5:49 AM
      At approximately 8am EST, 7am CST, 1300 UCT/GMT, which I think is also
      2am American Samoa Time (I don't know if Am.Samoa observes Daylite time
      though -- ALSO REMEMBER... THIS WEEKEND, most of the US/Canada switches
      over to Daylite time in the early morning hours of Sunday Morning)...

      011+684 type access to American Samoa began to be "intercepted" on SOME
      call attempts on AT&T and MCI.

      I was still consistantly able to reach American Samoa via US-Sprint-LD,
      Qwest/LCI-LD, and Vartech-LD, via 011+ (IDDD) access, as if 684 is a
      country code, even well in the 8am EST hour.

      But with AT&T and MCI, using various access methods (Sent Paid 011+,
      Standard post-pay account Card Access, prepaid card, AT&T-OSPS
      "Call-Manager" access, etc), I began to be "intercepted", but not on all
      call attempts, if I tried dialing American Samoa with 01(1)+ where 684
      is a country code, instead of with 0+/1+ where 684 would be an AREA code
      within Country Code +1 (NANP).

      I got the SAME "generic" male recording that sounded almost like it
      might have been computer generated, but I don't know for certain...

      indicating that it is no longer necessarily to dial 011, but to rather
      hang-up and dial 1, then 684, then the number.

      The trailer-code was consistant for AT&T, and a different trailer-code
      was consistant for MCI, for those 01(1)+ 684-nxx-xxxx-(#) call attempts
      which did get "intercepted" -- but even on AT&T and MCI, SOME call
      attempts did continue to get thru with this IDDD access method.

      If I were "intercepted", AT&T attempts returned a trailer of "D3O" (I
      don't know if the final character is really supposed to be the letter
      'O' (oh) as it was pronounced in the recording trailer, or if it is
      really supposed to be the numeral '0' (zero)...)

      and MCI attempts which were intercepted returned a trailer of "DJS".

      After listening to the "intercept" recording (and trailer) on AT&T,
      after ONE play-thru, I was "SS7-crank-backed" to a standard vacant code
      recording from the originating/homing 4ESS or 5E-OSPS.

      On MCI, I simply got a fast-busy "re-order" after having heard the
      "intercept" recording just once.

      As I mentioned, the AT&T and MCI call attempts went to the SAME male
      voice and verbage on the "intercept" recording (only the final "trailer"
      being different on AT&T vs. MCI), so I wonder if American Samoa telecom
      or Blue Sky (wireless) is playing these recordings? Maybe VZ-GTE-Hawaii
      (soon to possibly be sold off to the Carlysle Croup?) is playing these
      recordings for AT&T and MCI?

      It might be possible for American Samoa Telecom to determine whether or
      not one dialed the call as 1+/0+ (NANP) vs. 01(1)+ (IDDD) ?? Maybe as
      long as the LEC and IXCs involved retained the dialed format in the
      signaling protocal all the way to the distant LEC (Am.Samoa Telecom and
      Blue Sky wireless), it is the "signaling protocol", i.e., CCITT-5 vs.
      domestic "Bell System" MF or SS7, would indicate whether or not one
      dialed as 1+/0+ vs. 011+/01+ ???

      I assume that over the next several days/weeks/maybe months, all IXCs
      and Intl. Carriers worldwide will eventually "turn off" Country Code
      +684 access to American Samoa and instead require ONLY CC +1 NANP (with
      NPA 684 within the NANP) access... it might take some time for ALL
      service providers in the (worldwide) industry to make this change final.

      The ITU will NOT make any attempt to reassign +684 to any other possible
      (Pacific) point until 1997, according to the NANP Planning Letter. I
      doubt that cc +684 will need to be assigned anywhere else for a LONG
      time.

      CC +671 (formerly Guam) is still availble for future assignment.

      However, the ITU did re-assigned CC +670, in 2000/01 or so, to East
      Timor. +670 as a Country Code had only been Saipan/Mariana Islands all
      the way thru 1997/98 when Saipan/Marianas were migrating their
      destination digits from +670- over to +1-670-, back in 1997/98 when both
      Guam and Saipan/Marianas migrated from being ITU Country Codes over to
      Area Codes within the NANP.

      Mark J. Cuccia
      mcuccia at tulane dot edu
      New Orleans LA CSA
    • Mark J Cuccia
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2 8:35 AM
        On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Mark J Cuccia wrote:

        > At approximately 8am EST, 7am CST, 1300 UCT/GMT, which I think is also
        > 2am American Samoa Time (I don't know if Am.Samoa observes Daylite time
        > though -- ALSO REMEMBER... THIS WEEKEND, most of the US/Canada switches
        > over to Daylite time in the early morning hours of Sunday Morning)...
        >
        > 011+684 type access to American Samoa began to be "intercepted" on SOME
        > call attempts on AT&T and MCI.

        I forgot to mention that in the NANPA Planning Letter on American Samoa
        back in 2003, it was mentioned that the official date of beginning of
        permissive (Saturday-02-October-2004) and official date of mandatory
        (Saturday-02-April-2005) would have the official time at 2am American
        Samoa Local Time.

        [SNIP]

        > I assume that over the next several days/weeks/maybe months, all IXCs
        > and Intl. Carriers worldwide will eventually "turn off" Country Code
        > +684 access to American Samoa and instead require ONLY CC +1 NANP (with
        > NPA 684 within the NANP) access... it might take some time for ALL
        > service providers in the (worldwide) industry to make this change final.
        >
        > The ITU will NOT make any attempt to reassign +684 to any other possible
        > (Pacific) point until 1997, according to the NANP Planning Letter. I
        > doubt that cc +684 will need to be assigned anywhere else for a LONG
        > time.

        That should read 2007, not 1997 for when the ITU "could" attempt
        re-assignment of +684. Actually, I seem to think that the NANPA Planning
        Letter indicates that the official date of "return" of +684 or date of
        ITU "reclamation" of +684 to revert to "spare and (re)assignable" would
        be 2007.

        > CC +671 (formerly Guam) is still availble for future assignment.
        >
        > However, the ITU did re-assigned CC +670, in 2000/01 or so, to East
        > Timor. +670 as a Country Code had only been Saipan/Mariana Islands all
        > the way thru 1997/98 when Saipan/Marianas were migrating their
        > destination digits from +670- over to +1-670-, back in 1997/98 when both
        > Guam and Saipan/Marianas migrated from being ITU Country Codes over to
        > Area Codes within the NANP.

        Mark J. Cuccia
        mcuccia at tulane dot edu
        New Orleans LA CSA