New/First 579-NXX C.O.Codes Assigned for southwest Quebec

  • Mark J. Cuccia
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2010
      The new 579 area code "officially" overlaid the 450 area code in
      southwestern Quebec (outside of the immediate Montreal QC 514/438
      Metro Area) on Saturday 21-August-2010. At the time, the _ONLY_
      579-NXX c.o.codes that were assigned and "worked" were the four
      579-N10 codes for testing purposes (579-610 for Bell Canada ILEC,
      579-710 for Telus-Quebec CLEC, 579-810 for Allstream-CLEC, and
      579-510 for Rogers-CallNet CLEC).

      At some point in the past few days, SAIC-CNA (Canadian Numbering
      Administration) has assigned the first 579-NXX "POTS" c.o.codes,
      thirteen of them, to (OCN 2243) the CLEC-side of Telus-Quebec.
      Telus-Quebec, formerly GTE's "QuebecTel" is also the ILEC for about
      two or three large discontiguous segments of eastern Quebec in the
      418/581 area codes (although Bell Canada is also the ILEC for other
      segments of that 418/581 region, and there are some small independent
      telcos here/there as well in 418/581).

      I don't know the exact date "when" SAIC-CNA assigned these 579-NXX
      codes, but it was probably in the past two days (since Labor Day,
      and Canada does have Labor Day on the same date that the US does),
      nor do I know when Telus-Quebec intends on putting these c.o.codes
      into effect, but it could be within another two months, certainly
      before the end of 2010.

      But here are the assignments as they are indicated at the 579-NXX
      webpage for the CNA: http://www.cnac.ca/data/ac579.htm

      579-230 Boucherville QC
      579-231 Chomedey QC
      579-232 Granby QC
      579-233 Le Gardeur QC
      579-234 Longueuil QC
      579-235 Mascouche QC
      579-236 Pont-Viau QC
      579-237 Ste-Rose QC
      579-238 Ste-Therese QC
      579-239 St-Hyacinthe QC
      579-240 St-Jerome QC
      579-241 St-Lambert QC
      579-242 St-Vincent-de-Paul QC

      Also, the 450-NXX CNA webpage: http://www.cnac.ca/data/ac450.htm
      shows that there are still several 450-NXX c.o.codes available for
      assignment, the 450 "base" area code.

      Some of these codes available for assignment are, however, reserved for
      assignment only to "new entrant" wireless/CLEC/etc. providers, or at
      least a "new entrant" wireless/CLEC/etc. provider to a specific exchange
      area (ratecenter).

      Here in the US, there are still several recently implemented overlay
      area codes where there are still no active NXX c.o.codes in the overlay
      (other than the test-number c.o.codes which might still "work"), but
      there is also one "officially effective" overlay which has been in place
      for over nine years now that still has no (POTS) c.o.codes...

      That is the 878 overlay to southwestern Pennsylvania, overlaying both
      412 for the immediate Pittsburgh PA Metro Area _AND_ the 724 outer area
      of southwestern PA. Ten-digit intra-home-NPA local dialing has been
      mandatory throughout the 412 and 724 area codes since July 2001, and the
      "official" effective date of the 878 overlay was in August 2001, but
      there are still not yet any "POTS" 878-NXX c.o.codes.

      HOWEVER, the 724 NPA only has about nine remaining 724-NXX codes still
      available for assignment. It doesn't seem that there will be any 878-NXX
      codes activated (nor even assigned) by the end of 2010, but I do think
      that by Spring or Summer 2011, there will finally be some 878-NXX codes
      when the 724 NPA does eventually "run out". And at that time, new
      878-NXX c.o.codes will likely be assignable also to the 412 "core"
      region as well as the 724 "outer" region, even though there are still
      quite a number of 412-NXX codes available.

      This is how the assignment process was last year (Fall 2009) when 872
      finally took effect with actual 872-NXX codes in the City of Chicago IL.
      After several splits in the 1990s-era, 312 has shrunk down to just the
      downtown "Loop" area, while 773 has split for the neighberhoods, but
      only within the city limits. (Suburbs/etc. outside of the city limits
      have their own area codes which split off from other area codes in the
      1990s-era). 773 ran out of 773-NXX codes in Fall 2009, while 312 still
      has several 312-NXX codes available for assignment. Back in the late
      1990s, (Lockheed-Martin at the time) NANPA assigned 872 for "eventual"
      overlay to BOTH 312 AND 773, whenever either 312 or 773 "ran out", but
      the overlay applied simultaneously to both "base" area codes at the
      point whenever either "base" area code "ran out".

      At the present time (September 2009), there aren't all that many 872-NXX
      c.o.codes assigned/active in the City of Chicago (IL), but only one of
      them is actually assigned to "Zone-01" which is also the 312 "base" NPA
      region for the downtown (Loop) region. The other (few) 872-NXX c.o.codes
      are assigned to other "Zones" which are the 737 "base" NPA region for
      the neighberhoods within the city limits.

      The Atlanta GA metro area had another overlay assigned for "official"
      implementation in September 2001 (nine years ago), the 470 area code.
      However, there were still several 404-NXX codes for the Atlanta "core"
      ratecenter, and also several 678-NXX codes for ALL of the 404/770/678
      metro area. It was only early this year (2010) when 678 ran out of
      c.o.codes available, and thus 470-NXX c.o.codes finally were assigned to
      both the "770" region as well as the "404" region. However, at this time
      (September 2010), there are only TWO "POTS" 470-NXX codes assigned,
      470-200 to a CLEC for the Conyers GA ratecenter, and 470-201 to a
      wireless provider for the Gainesville GA ratecenter. There are still not
      yet any "POTS" 470-NXX codes assigned to the Atlanta "Central" 404-base
      ratecenter.

      The 760 NPA in California was "officially" overlaid with 442 last Fall
      (2009). There are about a dozen remaining 760-NXX codes available at
      this time (Fall 2010), but not yet any (POTS) 442-NXX codes.

      And this year, there were two other overlays which are already now
      "officially" effective, but still no "POTS" c.o.codes assigned in the
      new overlay area code --

      there are not yet any "POTS" 938-NXX c.o.codes in the 256 "base" area
      code in northern/northeastern Alabama, nor are there yet any "POTS"
      534-NXX c.o.codes in the 715 "base" area code in northern Wisconsin.

      Next year (April 2011), the 402 area code in Nebraska will "officially"
      be overlaid with the new 531 area code, but recently the Nebraska PSC
      issued an order that _NO_ 531-NXX (POTS) c.o.codes can be assigned by
      NeuStar-NANPA to requesting telecom service providers, until the supply
      of available 402-NXX c.o.codes remaining for assignment has dropped to
      ten or fewer. This is documented in the recent NANPA Planning Letter
      #410.

      Mark J. Cuccia
      markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
      Lafayette LA formerly of New Orleans LA pre-Katrina
    • Mark J. Cuccia
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2010
        On Wednesday 08-September-2010, I wrote:

        > The new 579 area code "officially" overlaid the 450 area code in
        > southwestern Quebec (outside of the immediate Montreal QC 514/438
        > Metro Area) on Saturday 21-August-2010. At the time, the _ONLY_
        > 579-NXX c.o.codes that were assigned and "worked" were the four
        > 579-N10 codes for testing purposes (579-610 for Bell Canada ILEC,
        > 579-710 for Telus-Quebec CLEC, 579-810 for Allstream-CLEC, and
        > 579-510 for Rogers-CallNet CLEC).
        >
        > At some point in the past few days, SAIC-CNA (Canadian Numbering
        > Administration) has assigned the first 579-NXX "POTS" c.o.codes,
        > thirteen of them, to (OCN 2243) the CLEC-side of Telus-Quebec.

        [ ... ]

        > I don't know the exact date "when" SAIC-CNA assigned these 579-NXX
        > codes, but it was probably in the past two days (since Labor Day,
        > and Canada does have Labor Day on the same date that the US does),
        > nor do I know when Telus-Quebec intends on putting these c.o.codes
        > into effect, but it could be within another two months, certainly
        > before the end of 2010.
        >
        > But here are the assignments as they are indicated at the 579-NXX
        > webpage for the CNA: http://www.cnac.ca/data/ac579.htm
        >
        > 579-230 Boucherville QC
        > 579-231 Chomedey QC
        > 579-232 Granby QC
        > 579-233 Le Gardeur QC
        > 579-234 Longueuil QC
        > 579-235 Mascouche QC
        > 579-236 Pont-Viau QC
        > 579-237 Ste-Rose QC
        > 579-238 Ste-Therese QC
        > 579-239 St-Hyacinthe QC
        > 579-240 St-Jerome QC
        > 579-241 St-Lambert QC
        > 579-242 St-Vincent-de-Paul QC
        >
        > Also, the 450-NXX CNA webpage: http://www.cnac.ca/data/ac450.htm
        > shows that there are still several 450-NXX c.o.codes available for
        > assignment, the 450 "base" area code.
        >
        > Some of these codes available for assignment are, however, reserved
        > for assignment only to "new entrant" wireless/CLEC/etc. providers,
        > or at least a "new entrant" wireless/CLEC/etc. provider to a
        > specific exchange area (ratecenter).

        I spoke with one of my Canadian telco contacts, and they told me that
        these thirteen "first" 579-NXX POTS c.o.code assignments (to Telus
        Quebec CLEC) were made on Friday 03-September-2010, and that the
        effective date for implementation/activation in the telco network is
        for Friday 29-October-2010, a little over two months following the
        "official" effective date for the 579 area code "itself" on Saturday
        21-August-2010.

        > Here in the US, there are still several recently implemented overlay
        > area codes where there are still no active NXX c.o.codes in the
        > overlay (other than the test-number c.o.codes which might still
        > "work"), but there is also one "officially effective" overlay which
        > has been in place for over nine years now that still has no (POTS)
        > c.o.codes...
        >
        > That is the 878 overlay to southwestern Pennsylvania, overlaying
        > both 412 for the immediate Pittsburgh PA Metro Area _AND_ the 724
        > outer area of southwestern PA. Ten-digit intra-home-NPA local
        > dialing has been mandatory throughout the 412 and 724 area codes
        > since July 2001, and the "official" effective date of the 878
        > overlay was in August 2001, but there are still not yet any "POTS"
        > 878-NXX c.o.codes.
        >
        > HOWEVER, the 724 NPA only has about nine remaining 724-NXX codes
        > still available for assignment. It doesn't seem that there will be
        > any 878-NXX codes activated (nor even assigned) by the end of 2010,
        > but I do think that by Spring or Summer 2011, there will finally be
        > some 878-NXX codes when the 724 NPA does eventually "run out". And
        > at that time, new 878-NXX c.o.codes will likely be assignable also
        > to the 412 "core" region as well as the 724 "outer" region, even
        > though there are still quite a number of 412-NXX codes available.

        [ ... ]

        > The Atlanta GA metro area had another overlay assigned for
        > "official" implementation in September 2001 (nine years ago), the
        > 470 area code. However, there were still several 404-NXX codes for
        > the Atlanta "core" ratecenter, and also several 678-NXX codes for
        > ALL of the 404/770/678 metro area. It was only early this year
        > (2010) when 678 ran out of c.o.codes available, and thus 470-NXX
        > c.o.codes finally were assigned to both the "770" region as well as
        > the "404" region. However, at this time (September 2010), there are
        > only TWO "POTS" 470-NXX codes assigned, 470-200 to a CLEC for the
        > Conyers GA ratecenter, and 470-201 to a wireless provider for the
        > Gainesville GA ratecenter. There are still not yet any "POTS"
        > 470-NXX codes assigned to the Atlanta "Central" 404-base ratecenter.
        >
        > The 760 NPA in California was "officially" overlaid with 442 last
        > Fall (2009). There are about a dozen remaining 760-NXX codes
        > available at this time (Fall 2010), but not yet any (POTS) 442-NXX
        > codes.
        >
        > And this year, there were two other overlays which are already now
        > "officially" effective, but still no "POTS" c.o.codes assigned in
        > the new overlay area code --
        >
        > there are not yet any "POTS" 938-NXX c.o.codes in the 256 "base"
        > area code in northern/northeastern Alabama, nor are there yet
        > any "POTS" 534-NXX c.o.codes in the 715 "base" area code in northern
        > Wisconsin.

        Actually, there is also a THIRD overlay for this year (2010), where
        there are still _NO_ "POTS" c.o.codes assigned in the overlay area
        code, that being the Oregon (except northwest) 541/458 area code
        overlay. I had overlooked it at the time when I was preparing the
        original post on Wednesday evening! Ten-digit intra-541 local dialing
        is now mandatory, and the 458 NPA is "officially" in effect overlaying
        541 in Oregon since February 2010 but it could be quite some time
        before there are yet any actual "POTS" 458-NXX c.o.codes assigned and
        activated in effect within the 541/458 area code overlay region.

        > Next year (April 2011), the 402 area code in Nebraska will
        > "officially" be overlaid with the new 531 area code, but recently
        > the Nebraska PSC issued an order that _NO_ 531-NXX (POTS) c.o.codes
        > can be assigned by NeuStar-NANPA to requesting telecom service
        > providers, until the supply of available 402-NXX c.o.codes remaining
        > for assignment has dropped to ten or fewer. This is documented in
        > the recent NANPA Planning Letter #410.

        I don't think that Alabama or Wisconsin regulatory (nor California
        regulatory) has mandated that the "base" area codes be used up
        (virtually) completely before any c.o.codes could be assigned out of
        the new overlay area code, though... but in the 878 overlay to 412 and
        724 in Pittsburgh PA Metro and the rest of southwestern PA, the PA-PUC
        did indeed order that (at least one of the) "base" area codes be used
        up almost completely before the 878 overlay area code could have any
        actual 878-NXX c.o.codes assigned/activated. However, mandatory
        ten-digit local dialing within 412 and within 724 was made effective
        and has been so since Summer 2001, nine years ago.