ITU E.164 Telephone Country Code List -- Most Recent Dated 15-April-2009

  • markjcuccia@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 2:04 AM
      The ITU has uploaded its most recent edition of their E.164 list of
      assigned telephone country codes, dated 15-April-2009, an Annex to the
      ITU Operational Bulletin #930 of the same date. (The ITU's Operational
      Bulletin comes out twice a month, dated the 1st and the 15th of each
      month).

      While the Operational Bulletin is available only as a pay subscription,
      certain lists of codes/etc. published from time to time and issued as
      annexes to the Operational Bulletin, are also available free for the
      download. (Note that there is a pay version also available, and not all
      ITU lists of codes/etc. even have a "free" version, more on that below).

      The free version for the 15-April-2009 edition of the ITU's E.164 list
      of assigned telephone country codes can be downloaded from the following
      URLs, one is a pdf version, the other is a doc version:

      http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/opb/sp/T-SP-E.164D-2009-PDF-E.pdf
      http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/opb/sp/T-SP-E.164D-2009-MSW-E.doc

      These above URLs are for the English language version. Spanish and
      French versions, also available in both pdf and doc are also available,
      see the main download page: http://www.itu.int/publ/T-SP-E.164D-2009/en

      I haven't gone through the document with a "fine tooth comb", but one
      thing that has changed from the earlier version (Sept.2007) is that
      only +870 Inmarsat SNAC is listed. The other "geographic specific" codes
      which would be used (but numbers themselves not duplicated) when the
      terminating party's phone on the vessel's ocean-based location would be
      known in advance. Now, one doesn't need to know the location of the
      vehicle/vessel in advance when placing a call, so now they use the
      single number access code (SNAC) +870 and the called party's number on
      the satellite-based air or ship phone, and the system will try to find
      the phone/location, I assume similar to cellular roaming.

      +871 Inmarsat Atlantic Ocean East
      +872 Inmarsat Pacific Ocean
      +873 Inmarsat Indian Ocean
      +874 Inmarsat Atlantic Ocean West
      have apparently all been discontinued and "reclaimed". This was to be
      expected for some years now. Last year, the ITU posted an Inmarsat
      document regarding the structure of telephone numbers under the +870
      "country" code. The document is dated 15-July-2008, and was posted on
      the ITU's website on 14-August-2008. The first line in this document
      indicates that the use of the geographic +871 through +874 would end
      on 31-December-2008.

      IMO, it's about time to do this consolidation to a single country code.
      There are at least three other ITU E.164 "country" codes regarding
      mobile and/or satellite services, +881, +882, +883, and these are NOT
      assigned nor subdivided into ocean-specific world geography! A SINGLE
      country code (subdivided into carriers, so apparently no inter-carrier
      portability of numbering, yet) for the entire global geography.

      This document (in English) can be downloaded from:
      http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/02/02/T02020000650001MSWE.doc

      The Spanish and French versions can be found from the main download
      page for +870 at: http://www.itu.int/oth/T0202000065/en

      This is part of the ITU's "National Numbering Plans", where the ITU
      posts (MW-Word) doc files with information supplied by individual
      carriers/telcos and national regulators/numbering assignment bodies,
      etc. regarding national/domestic telephone numbering/dialing issues.
      The main page for the ITU's "National Numbering Plans" is at:
      http://www.itu.int/oth/Default.aspx?parent=T0202

      The ITU's "International Numbering Resources" webpage is at:
      http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/index.html

      At this page is a link to the (free) section of lists of "International
      Country Codes",
      http://www.itu.int/opb/publications.aspx?parent=T-SP&view=T-SP2
      Click on the 'OB No.' (Operational Bulletin) for the particular list
      desired, the OB to which the particular list-document issues is annexed
      to.

      Note that there are MORE specific list-documents that the ITU publishes,
      but these apparently are only available for a fee, and are also part of
      an annual subscription package to the semi-monthly Operational
      Bulletin. ALL such "list-documents" from the ITU can be found at:
      http://www.itu.int/opb/publications.aspx?parent=T-SP&view=T-SP1
      but you will need to purchase them for download or use a username/
      password -- even if the document is otherwise free from other download
      pages, you will need a username/password if trying to download it from
      this section -- but it does list ALL of the "list-documents" from the
      ITU.

      Finally....
      Below is some of what I posed back on Sunday 24-February-2008, regarding
      the 15-September-2007 edition and how it compared with and earlier one
      from 15-October-2006....

      These changes that I mention are still effective as of the 2009 edition
      as well, and seem to be the most recent prominent changes or such
      regarding the ITU assignments of E.164 Country Codes. I have also
      inserted some new comments, interspersed with the quoted text of what
      I originally posted just over a year ago.

      BTW, there is one comparison between the September 2007 edition and the
      current April 2009 edition... the 2-digit country codes (and also the
      single digit +! NANP and +7 Russia/Kazakhstan country codes) are LEFT-
      justified when listed numerically among all of the 3-digit country
      codes! This, IMO, is how they SHOULD be listed as such, due to the
      way you "dial" a number. The September 2007 list had such 2-digit (and
      single-digit) country codes "right-justified", when listed numerically
      among the 3-digit country codes.

      But at least even on the September 2007 edition, the -digit (and
      single-digit) codes were sorted numerically based on the FIRST (or only)
      digit of the country code, something that wasn't always done in earlier
      editions! Back then, +1 was followed by +7, then +20 and +27, then the
      two-digit +3X codes for Europe, the +4X 2-digit European codes, +51
      through +58, etc. (all remaining 2-digit codes numerically through +98
      Iran), and then finally all three-digit codes numerically.

      Also note that there is an alphabetical list by country or service/
      function name, following the numerical listing.

      mjc

      > [...] the most recent available E.164 Telephone Country Code list is
      > dated. The last one I downloaded, sometime in November 2006, was
      > dated 15-October-2006. The one that is now at the ITU's website is
      > dated 15-September-2007.
      >
      > Go to: http://www.itu.int/publ/T-SP-E.164D-2007/en
      > and then select your prefered language (English, French, Spanish),
      > and format (MS-Word .doc, or Adobe-Acrobat .pdf), for a free copy.
      >
      > Some changes/highlights:
      >
      > The eastern/southern Atlantic island group (UK) of Tristin-de-Cunha,
      > is now listed with a Country Code, +290, shared from the UK island
      > group of St.Helena, also in the eastern south Atlantic.
      >
      > Of course, Montenegro's +382, is now shown, separate from Serbia +381.
      > But that change was shown in the Oct.2006 edition.

      Also note that the Balkan area of Kosovo still doesn't have its own
      country code, something that they have been wanting for some years now
      as part of their fight for independence, which was discussed about a
      year ago. If they do get their own country code, it would most likely
      be +383 or maybe +384, since these are the only two +38X range codes
      (after the old +38 Yugoslavia broke apart) which are still available
      for assignment.

      > +684 has been listed as "spare" for the past few years, now that
      > American Samoa has migrated into the NANP +1 as NANP "area code" 684.
      >
      > There is still *NO* unique geographic/POTS ITU E.164 Country Code
      > for Pitcairn. Of course, the few phone/faxes on Pitcairn do use
      > Inmarsat service, currently with +872 for the Pacific, but all four
      > of the geographic/Ocean-based Inmarsat Country Codes (+871 thru +874)
      > are to be "folded into" the single +870 country code at some point.

      The above info on +871 through +874 being "folded into" the single +870
      has taken effect as mentioned above....

      > And as for Pitcairn, I don't know if they would qualify for a unique
      > geographic country code of their own. I *GUESS* that they could
      > "share" from +690 Tokelau, similar to how Tristin now "shares" from
      > St.Helena +290.
      >
      > And in addition to GMSS (Global Mobile Satellite Service) on +881
      > which has been around for some years now, as well as +882 for
      > "International Networks" also arund for several years, there is now
      > ANOTHER "International Networks" 'country' code +883. More information
      > on their "sub-assignment" can be found within the document, as well as
      > at the ITU's (free) International Numbering Resources webpage:
      > http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/
      > under "Universal Numbers" and "Miscellaneous Numbering Topics".
      >
      > +886 for Taiwan (China) began to be listed in the October 1996
      > edition and is still listed this way. Previously, the ITU did NOT
      > recognize the (nearly) universal/worldwide (unofficial) use of +886
      > for Taiwan. Red China considers Taiwan to be in the '6...' range of
      > its own +86 Country Code (i.e., +86-6...).
      >
      > +888 *USED* to be listed as "reserved for future global service",
      > while +999 *USED* to be "reserved for future TDR, Telecom Services
      > for Disaster Relief".
      >
      > This Sept.2007 list "swaps" the previous +888 and +999 reservations.
      > +888 is now listed as (assigned to) TDR, while +999 is "reserved for
      > future global service".

      > +997 is still listed as SPARE, while +7 is still SHARED by BOTH
      > Russia AND Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is the only former Soviet Republic
      > whch still "shares" from Russia's +7. Some of us have GUESSED that
      > +997 will ultimately become a unique country code for Kazakhstan,
      > similar to how all of the OTHER 13 former Soviet Republics have since
      > broken off into their own unique telephone country codes throughout
      > the 1990s-era, and the main "base" of Russia would retain +7.

      But still at present, Kazakhstan is still sharing from Russia's +7,
      Kazakhstan still not having their own unique country code, very likely
      to be +997.

      > +970 is still listed as "reserved", with a footnote for Palestine.

      Mark J. Cuccia
      markjcuccia@...
      Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA pre-Katrina