Re: US/Canada Printed Telephone Directories

  • Mark J. Cuccia
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
      Replying on Yahoo:local-calling-guide and Yahoo:TENproject,
      Gwillim Law <rlaw at nc at rr dot com wrote:

      > My information about those telephone book code numbers pertains
      > mostly to my telephone-book-collecting days in the 1960s. I've
      > got a webpage (http://www.oldtelephonebooks.com/pblistne.html)
      > that lists all of those codes that I could find for the
      > northeastern U.S. They are indeed sequential. The first two
      > digits indicate the state, from 01 for Alabama to 83 for Wyoming
      > (some states have more than one range; for example, Pennsylvania
      > is 62-64). Then came 84 for the Philippine Islands (!),

      Remember that the US got ownership and possesion of the Philippines
      following the Spanish-American War, circa 1899/1900. The US gave
      the Philippines their independence shortly after WW-II, sometime
      in the mid/late 1940s. From the mid-1950s thru circa 1967, the
      dominant local/toll telephone company there, PLDT, the Philippine
      Long Distance Telephone Company, which was rebuilt following WW-II
      by a major influx of US dollars, was controlled/owned by General
      Telephone. GT&E's Automatic Electric installed a large amount of
      "AE SXS" equipment in Manilla and other parts of the Philippines
      served by PLDT.

      Circa 1967, Fernando and Imelda Marcos and their friends and agents,
      mostly took control of PLDT away from GT&E.

      I have seen a 1967 Manilla telephone directory, which the main branch
      of the New Orleans Public Library had even as late as the mid-1990s,
      and the "fonts" and "sketch-art" pictures in the Yellow Pages, etc.
      is all VERY MUCH "US/Canada looking".

      I don't remember seeing the 1950s/60s General Telephone System logo
      anywhere displayed on the cover or inside the directory, but maybe
      that 1967 -- or was it 1968? -- directory was published AFTER GT&E
      lost ownership and control of PLDT? But if PLDT was no longer part
      of GT&E at the time this directory was printed, it would still take
      some time for the now "independent from GT&E" PLDT to "de-Americanize"
      the "overall look" of their directories.

      I doubt that PLDT directories since the 1970s-era would have that
      "US/Canada look and feel" about them anymore, and I would DOUBT that
      PLDT continues to identify their directories with the (0)84XXX code
      ranges.

      > 85 for Alberta up to 95 for Quebec, 98 for Puerto Rico, and 99 for
      > the Virgin Islands. I don't have info about Saskatchewan, Yukon,
      > and the rest of the Caribbean at hand, might be able to find
      > something.

      See list below for Canada; I wasn't sure about PR and USVI, but I
      would assume that since those are US possesions at the time that the
      directory codes would have been introduced, as you mention below
      circa 1965, and since the 809 Area Code for PR and USVI was around
      at that time, I would have expected them to be included in this
      directory numbering/coding scheme.

      I don't know if the "non-US yet still NANP-Caribbean", i.e., those
      Caribbean/Bermuda/Bahama locations not part of the US, yet still
      part of Country Code +1 and at one-time all part of 809, although
      the Dominican Republic still maintains 809 as well as now being
      overlaid with 829, would have been part of this standardized
      directory coding scheme. If you have 1970s-era directories for these
      islands, it would be interesting to know if they used these codes.

      Continental Telephone did have a working arrangmenet with the UK's
      Cable & Wireless, to provide the telephone service in Jamaica,
      Grand Bahama Island - i.e., Freeport & Lucaya and vicinity - yet NOT
      the rest of the Bahamas, Barbados, Grenada, Trinidad & Tobago, from
      the late 1960s through the early/mid 1980s era. The far-left Marxist
      governments of Grenada and Trinidad/Tobago seized Contel's interests
      in the telcos in those locations rather early though, in the early
      1970s, effectively kicking-out Contel.

      But I think that Contel slowly withdrew "on their own" from Barbados,
      Jamaica, and Grand Bahama Island of the Bahamas.

      I wonder if those Contel areas ever had directories identified with
      those standardized codes?

      The OTHER "British" Caribbean Islands & Bermuda, i.e., the British
      West Indies, etc., which have been part of Country Code +1 and were
      one-time part of area code 809, have mostly been run by Cable &
      Wireless and/or the local islands' government for provision of basic
      voice telephone services.

      Contel was completely "out" of the Caribbean by the time that GTE
      bought out what existed of Contel circa 1991/92.

      General Telephone also has owned CODETEL, the incumbent telco in the
      Dominican Republic. The traditional telco there has been known as
      VeriZon since 2000, since GTE and Bell Atlantic/NYNEX merged to form
      VeriZon at that time. However, VZ wants to "exit" the Dominican
      Republic, as well as Puerto Rico.

      I wonder if GTE-Codetel's Dominican Republic ever used those standard
      directroy codes?

      I also wonder if parts of Mexico, such as the northwestern Mexican
      border towns in Baja California N and in Sonora, bordering California
      and Arizona, respectively, ever had directories identified with those
      standardized codes? Telefonica Fronteriza was the telco for such places
      as Tijuana, Mexicali, Rosarito, Ensenada, Tecate, and border towns in
      the Mexican State of Sonora, through 1980 when the Mexican Federal
      Government nationalized them and seized the operations, renaming them
      Telefonos de Norte (spelling?), aka "Telnor", now a subsidiary of
      Telefonos de Mexico, aka "Telmex".

      But back in the 1960s/70s, the border towns of Telefonica Fronteriza
      were dialable as part of the NANP/DDD Network with Area Code 903,
      NOT as part of Mexico's +52 Country Code. And AT&T/Pacific-Telephone
      executives owned the stock of Telefonica Fronteriza!

      As mentioned, the Mexican Federal Government seized the operations of
      Telefonica Fronteriza, and today, Telnor is a subsidiary of Telmex.
      Numbering/Dialing for the northwest Mexican border towns migrated to
      Country Code +52 during the 1980s, and the use of NANP Area Code 903
      was discontinued in 1980, replaced with temporary use as +1-70-6.
      This itself was discontinued in 1991, along with the use of +1-90-5
      for Mexico City and vicinity. Area Code 903 was re-assigned for use
      starting in 1990 for northeastern Texas, and Area Codes 706 and 905
      have been reassigned, respectively, to Georgia in 1992 and Ontario
      in 1993.

      But it would be interesting to note if Tijuana and such had their
      directories identified with these standard codes back in the 1970s
      era.

      I don't know if +1-671 Guam, +1-670 Mariana Islands, +1-684 American
      Samoa now have their directories identified by these standard
      directory codes though.

      > Within each state/province, the numbers follow the alphabetical
      > order of the city names. This may have changed since the 1960s,
      > of course.

      The telcos have "re-grouped" towns, renamed directory names, done
      a great deal of consolidation in some places with their directories
      and coverage areas thus eliminating smaller single-town directories
      and the like, as well as splitting up White and Yellow Pages,
      introducing "Business-to-Business" specialty type directories,
      "mini" Yellow Pages intended to be stored in the "pockets" of the
      inside of a car door, and then there are those private/neighberhood
      as well as competitive directories being published, which also use
      these standardized codes now.

      > I think they were introduced about 1965. I can check on that, too.

      That year does "sound about right"! Next time I'm at the Louisiana
      State Library in Baton Rouge to do further research in their historic
      collection of Louisiana telephone directories, I'll try to see when
      Southern Bell first introduced the code-number on the spine of their
      directories. I would suspect that the independent telco directories
      might not have first started printing this code until much later,
      especially small rural independent telcos!

      > I have the National Yellow Pages Service Rate and Data Book for May
      > 1969. It has 162 pages of information of interest to Yellow Page
      > advertisers, including the codes, which it calls "Directory Codes".
      > I've been thinking about scanning it in and putting the basic
      > information on my website, but that will take a good deal of time,
      > which is a commodity I'm short on right now.

      No rush...

      > If it would help to list the exact number ranges for each state or
      > province, I can do that in another post.
      >
      > Gwillim Law

      By using various sources I found on the Internet, such as the Verizon
      Directory Orders website, Qwest/DEX' directory ordering and price list,
      the list that Hugh Hamilton referenced, BellSouth's directories page,
      etc., and what you mention about the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and
      the USVI, I have put togather the following list. Note that I have
      referenced the previously existing five-digit codes as SIX-digit codes
      with a LEADING ZERO tacked on. I am noticing more directories printing
      SIX-digit codes on their spine. And there is the 10XXXX range of
      directory codes, six-digits beginning with '1'. Many "private" and
      "neighberhood" as well as competitive directories are being identified
      as six-digit 10XXXX codes, but even Bell and incumbnet independent
      telco directories are also using 10XXXX codes. I assume that these
      might be "new" directories that the incumbent telcos are starting up,
      such as those specialty "business-to-business" directories, the "mini"
      Yellow Pages directories, Spanish language directories, bi-lingual
      editions of directories, etc.

      There doesn't seem to be any "rhyme or reason" to the use of the
      six-digit 10XXXX codes as to geographic location or alphabetical order.
      It seems that the codes were assigned sequentially, numerically,
      first-come-first-served.

      I would assume that if Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa,
      or the non-US-yet-still-NANP-Caribbean would need to be assigned
      standard directory codes, then the assignment body, whoever that might
      be, NECA? Bellcore/Telcordia? someone else?, would simply assign the
      next 10XXXX code.

      000xxx (unassigned ??)
      001xxx Alabama
      002xxx Alaska
      003xxx Arizona
      004xxx Arkansas
      005xxx California
      006xxx California (continuing)
      007xxx California (continuing)
      008xxx Colorado
      009xxx Connecticut
      010xxx Delaware
      011xxx DC
      012xxx Florida
      013xxx Georgia
      014xxx Georgia (continuing)
      015xxx Georgia (continuing)
      016xxx Hawaii
      017xxx Idaho
      018xxx Illinois
      019xxx Illinois (continuing)
      020xxx Illinois (continuing)
      021xxx Illinois (continuing)
      022xxx Indiana
      023xxx Indiana (continuing)
      024xxx Indiana (continuing)
      025xxx Iowa
      026xxx Iowa (continuing)
      027xxx Kansas
      028xxx Kansas (continuing)
      029xxx Kentucky
      030xxx Louisiana
      031xxx Maine
      032xxx Maryland
      033xxx Massachusetts
      034xxx Michigan
      035xxx Michigan (continuing)
      036xxx Michigan (continuing)
      037xxx Michigan (continuing)
      038xxx Minnesota
      039xxx Mississippi
      040xxx Missouri
      041xxx Missouri (continuing)
      042xxx Montana
      043xxx Montana (continuing)
      044xxx Nebraska
      045xxx Mevada
      046xxx New Hampshire
      047xxx New Jersey
      048xxx New Mexico
      049xxx New York
      050xxx New York (continuing)
      051xxx New York (continuing)
      052xxx New York (continuing)
      053xxx North Carolina
      054xxx North Carolina (continuing)
      055xxx North Dakota
      056xxx Ohio
      057xxx Ohio (continuing)
      058xxx Ohio (continuing)
      059xxx Oklahoma
      060xxx Oklahoma (continuing)
      061xxx Oregon
      062xxx Pennsylvania
      063xxx Pennsylvania (continuing)
      064xxx Pennsylvania (continuing)
      065xxx Rhode Island
      066xxx South Carolina
      067xxx South Dakota
      068xxx Tennessee
      069xxx Texas
      070xxx Texas (continuing)
      071xxx Texas (continuing)
      072xxx Texas (continuing)
      073xxx Texas (continuing)
      074xxx Utah
      075xxx Vermont
      076xxx Virginia
      077xxx Washington
      078xxx West Virginia
      079xxx Wisconsin
      080xxx Wisconsin (continuing)
      081xxx Wisconsin (continuing)
      082xxx Wisconsin (continuing)
      083xxx Wyoming
      084xxx Philippines -- is this still being used?
      085xxx Alberta
      086xxx British Columbia; also Northwest Territories
      087xxx Manitoba
      088xxx New Brunswick
      089xxx Newfoundland/Labrador
      090xxx Northwest Territories; also Yukon
      091xxx Nova Scotia
      092xxx Ontario
      093xxx Ontario (continuing)
      094xxx Prince Edward Island
      095xxx Quebec
      096xxx Saskatchewan
      097xxx future Yukon ??
      098xxx Puerto Rico
      099xxx U.S. Virgin Islands
      10Xxxx additional directories throughout US/Canada

      Mark J. Cuccia
      markjcuccia at yahoo dot com
      Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA, pre-Katrina
    • Mark J. Cuccia
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
        Gwillim Law <rlaw at nc dot rr dot com> replied to Yahoo:TENproject:

        > markjcuccia at yahoo dot com wrote:

        >> The US gave the Philippines their independence shortly after WW-II,
        >> sometime in the mid/late 1940s.

        > July 4, 1946.

        Yes, and also note that it was the 4th of July as well!

        I also seem to remember that the "official" date for new states to
        enter the "Union", when the new flag with the added star was raised
        on official US Government/Military flagpoles, is supposed to be on
        the 4th of July, although I don't think that this custom was
        necessarily held to in the earliest days of the late 1700s and possibly
        earliest years of the 1800s. But it did become standard practice later
        on during the 19th Century.

        >> I have seen a 1967 Manilla telephone directory, which the main
        >> branch of the New Orleans Public Library had even as late as the
        >> mid-1990s, and the "fonts" and "sketch-art" pictures in the Yellow
        >> Pages, etc. is all VERY MUCH "US/Canada looking".
        >>
        >> I don't remember seeing the 1950s/60s General Telephone System logo
        >> anywhere displayed on the cover or inside the directory, but maybe
        >> that 1967 -- or was it 1968? -- directory was published AFTER GT&E
        >> lost ownership and control of PLDT?

        > I have somewhat shoddy pictures of three Manila phone books from the
        > 1960s at http://www.oldtelephonebooks.com/phph.html
        > None of them has a GTE logo.

        I've seen those pics at your website before -- it's a shame that the
        1960 dated directory is in as bad of shape as it is...

        Note that in the 1950s/60s, the logo used for the telephone operating
        division of GT&E was the "General Telephone System" logo, an inverted
        trapezoid with rounded corners and curved sides, sort of a
        "carriacature" of an older style rounded corners-and-sides TV screen!

        The word GENERAL was printed in big block letters on the top row
        inside the trapezoid, then the middle row would be an "oversized
        F1-looking" handset similar to those used on WECo/NECo model 302
        phones or on some AE "Monophones", and then the third, bottom row,
        would be the word SYSTEM printed in big block letters....

        i.e., "GENERAL -- TELEPHONE (represented by the handset) -- SYSTEM"

        The "perfectly proportioned" blue rectangle but with rounded corners,
        with the letters 'GTE' didn't come about until circa 1970, and was
        retained for the next three decades by GTE, until Bell Atlantic/NYNEX
        took over GTE/Contel, and renamed the whole operation "VeriZon".
        Although VZ continued GTE's practice of the 1990s, of selling off
        several legacy GTE and legacy Contel operating areas, mostly to Alltel,
        CenturyTel, Citizens' Tel, and others.

        Regarding the National Yellow Pages Association five, now six, digit
        "directory codes":

        >>> I think they were introduced about 1965. I can check on that, too.

        > I've found the codes printed on U.S. telephone books starting from
        > 1966, and 1965 telephone books without the codes. That's just a
        > spot-check.

        The 1965/66 time-period for introduction of those "directory codes",
        sounds about right!

        >> 097xxx future Yukon ??

        > It turns out that my 1972 Freeport, Bahamas telephone book has a
        > 97xxx number.

        Well, this confirms what I later pondered and posted regarding the
        097xxx range...

        I also now wonder if 097xxx is really something "reserved for future
        Yukon". I now tend to doubt it. I'm wondering if maybe "other"
        Caribbean islands and maybe at one time Mexico, was ever part of the
        097xxx range, especially maybe VeriZon/GTE/Codetel's Dominican Republic
        in the Caribbean!

        > Another post said that Canada had apparently developed a set of
        > five-digit codes independent of the ones we've been talking about.
        > Some examples in the 3xxxx range were cited. Checking my Canadian
        > telephone books from the 1960s and 1970s, I find that in some
        > provinces there are no five-digit codes printed on the telephone
        > books at all. In others, BC, Nova Scotia, Quebec, the numbers are
        > in the 8xxxx and 9xxxx range, consistent with the U.S. numbering.

        I remember the uniquely Canadian set of five-digit codes, those ranges
        separate from the 085xxx through 096xxx, being used to identify
        Canadian telephone directories during the 1980s era, when I would be
        researching out-of-town directories at various public and university
        and specialty libraries, as well as at the "out-of-town directory
        shelf" at the public lobby of a telco business office.

        I also think that AT&T or the Yellow Pages industry group made the
        set of codes VERY LARGE for assignment. Note that there could be a
        theoretical ONE THOUSAND directory code assignments for a state,
        province, or Caribbean region! And then there are several states
        which "spilled over" into a second code range, even some into a third
        range and even into a fourth range of 1000 potential directory codes!
        That does seem like "overkill"! But then today, with competitive
        and private/neighberhood, and numerous types of new "specialty"
        directories being published, there does appear to be a current use of
        such a large range of theoretical codes... And also the added range
        of 10Xxxx, which doesn't seem to be "broken down" into any special
        geographic subset ranges.

        I tried calling a lady with Yellow Pages Association this afternoon,
        to ask about the history of YPA and such, especially about the
        directory codes -- to ask about 000xxx, the once Philippine use of
        084xxx, and any further details about the 097xxx range for the non-US
        parts of the NANP-Caribbean, as well as the 10Xxxx range. I'm also
        wondering if the more recent US-Pacific additions to the NANP, Guam,
        Mariana Islands, American Samoa, have been assigned standard five or
        six-digit directory codes, as well as the other US/UN pseudo-NANP
        Pacific area, Palau, Micronesia, Marshall. And also if the northwestern
        Mexican border communities have ever used these codes as well.

        And thanks, Gwillam, for the additional info you've been able to dig
        up on these directory codes/etc!