Re: [lmug-talk] Re: Encryptian Question

  • Martin Kelly
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
      Does that 'Government Approved' mean they hold the encryption code.

      On 1 Feb 2011, at 05:15, Group51uk wrote:

      > Windows BitLocker is, I think, only in the ultimate and enterprise versions. Even then only a specially configured (by government) BitLocker solution is approved.
      >
      > --
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On 1 Feb 2011, at 04:38, "Judith" <JudithGoldfinch@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Just don't forget the password or you'll be throwing a drive away! Happened to fellow club user I know. Won't that lot be using some PeeCee Windoze stuff?
      > > Jude
      > > ( no power at home today luv my iPhone)
      > >
      > > --- In lmug-talk@yahoogroups.com, debbiebarber@... wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I work for a local authority and they now want to encrypt my Macbook
      > > > with 'PGP Whole Disk Encryption with PGP management console'.
      > > >
      > > > The thought of letting the ICT department anywhere near my mac is just
      > > > terryifying! They think I am some kind of alien for owning an Apple.
      > > >
      > > > I don't have much knowledge of this subject. I have my Macbook
      > > > password protected and have just read an article on the support site
      > > > 'Encrypting your home folder with FileVault'.
      > > >
      > > > I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has any advice on this
      > > > subject.
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Debbie
      > > >
      > > > Macbook 10.5.8 (soon to be 10.6)

    • Group51uk
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
        No. I mean its claims have been tested and verified. I have no idea about the keys.

        --
        Sent from my iPhone

        On 1 Feb 2011, at 11:34, Martin Kelly <martinkelly@...> wrote:

        > Does that 'Government Approved' mean they hold the encryption code.
        >
        > On 1 Feb 2011, at 05:15, Group51uk wrote:
        >
        >> Windows BitLocker is, I think, only in the ultimate and enterprise versions. Even then only a specially configured (by government) BitLocker solution is approved.
        >>
        >> --
        >> Sent from my iPhone
        >>
        >> On 1 Feb 2011, at 04:38, "Judith" <JudithGoldfinch@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Just don't forget the password or you'll be throwing a drive away! Happened to fellow club user I know. Won't that lot be using some PeeCee Windoze stuff?
        >>> Jude
        >>> ( no power at home today luv my iPhone)

      • eeZee E
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
          tellem i can open or hack any pgp file in 24 hours and its not much point apart from hiding stuff from lamers etc

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
            so was 128 bit encryption when released 10 ears ago i think

            again it took my friends only 48 hours to crack it open and when they emailed the pentagon about it after they announced it as worldwide sufficient security... they emailed my friends back saying yeah we know ..you..can do it but most wont..hehe

            governements are a few years behind when it comes to security imo

            On 31 Jan 2011, at 21:34, Group51uk wrote:

            > PGP desktop has been assured and approved by the UK government as secure. FileVault is not similarly approved. You can get a free trial of PGP desktop for Mac and try it. Make sure your Mac OS is compatible - 10.5 and 10.6 only.

          • eeZee E
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
              yes, THEY can open it..

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 1, 2011
                hi all

                so i supose we all got doubles in our itunes?

                i tried quiete a few apps and manual solution over the past year but now having or coming to the 400.000 tunes in my library its driving me nuts with 15000 doubles i can see and no app deals with sufficiently to remove or kill, and if i find one that does the trick almost i cant trust it

                any recommendations from other mad music lovers?

                ta
              • Martin Kelly
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Hi eeZee
                  I'm impressed with your knowledge of Mac, could you not write a simple program to find and exterminate doubles in your iTunes library, also expand it to compare multiple hard drives scanning for file duplicates? I'm sure its something you could sell through the new Mac App store.

                  Also to all, does anybody have practical experience of setting up VPN on a Mac Server through and Airport Extreme, as I'm struggling.

                  Martin
                • Martin Kelly
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                    Does this include FireVault?

                    >yes, THEY can open it..

                    On 1 Feb 2011, at 11:34, Martin Kelly wrote:

                    >> Does that 'Government Approved' mean they hold the encryption code.

                    Martin

                  • Judith
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                      I did something similar a good while back and can't remember what I used back then, but there's choices out there.....

                      http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/dupin.php

                      http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1579/how_to_remove_duplicate_files_from_your_itunes_media_library_/

                      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-organize-your-itunes-collection-with-tidyongs/

                      Jude

                      --- In lmug-talk@yahoogroups.com, eeZee E <eezee@...> wrote:

                      > hi all
                      >
                      > so i supose we all got doubles in our itunes?
                      >
                      > i tried quiete a few apps and manual solution over the past year but now having or coming to the 400.000 tunes in my library its driving me nuts with 15000 doubles i can see and no app deals with sufficiently to remove or kill, and if i find one that does the trick almost i cant trust it
                      >
                      > any recommendations from other mad music lovers?
                      >
                      > ta

                    • eeZee E
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                        On 2 Feb 2011, at 09:01, Martin Kelly wrote:

                        > Hi eeZee
                        > I'm impressed with your knowledge of Mac, could you not write a simple program to find and exterminate doubles in your iTunes library, also expand it to compare multiple hard drives scanning for file duplicates? I'm sure its something you could sell through the new Mac App store.

                        could write it but rather describe it n get it done for 50 dollaz at www.rentacoder.com, its not just a matter of same title but of the meta content of the itunes mp3 / acc formats that need investigating, then the bitrate in comparison to the lenght in time and in filesize whilst also bearing in mind that some numbers i got appeared on 4 different albums for example, which one to keep as one can not change the album name meta tag to more then one album title

                        its simple do do a v quick search for x 1.mp3 as a double of x.mp3 etc but it mainly a manual job unless the program would learn 'your' preferences' properly... gets tedious ;]

                        > Also to all, does anybody have practical experience of setting up VPN on a Mac Server through and Airport Extreme, as I'm struggling.
                        >

                        > through an you mean?
                        >
                        > equal tedious and loss of speed is a shame

                        > Martin

                      • eeZee E
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                          anything that gets put together can be taken apart its that simple really

                          fire or file ? but yes.. ofcourse even or it would be illegal

                          On 2 Feb 2011, at 09:04, Martin Kelly wrote:

                          > Does this include FireVault?
                          >
                          > >yes, THEY can open it..
                          >
                          > On 1 Feb 2011, at 11:34, Martin Kelly wrote:
                          >
                          > >> Does that 'Government Approved' mean they hold the encryption code.
                          >
                          > Martin

                        • eeZee E
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2011
                            yay..cheers lets go play a bit xx