Land of Medicine Buddha / Digest 1!

  • LMB@medicinebuddha.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2001
      DIGEST 1, August 2001

      "The Medicine Buddha practice is so precious…you can do
      Medicine Buddha puja for ANY purpose, ANY problem, ANYTHING!"
      Lama Zopa Rinpoche, LMB, July 28, 2001.

      1. Upcoming and Ongoing…
      2. Ribur Rinpoche returns to LMB soon!
      3. The Dynamics of Compassion: Ribur Rinpoche and Robina Courtin
      4. Denma Locho Rinpoche and Great Medicine Buddha Initiation
      5. How to have an easy life…
      6. Medicine Buddha prayers
      7. On Retreat with Lama Zopa Rinpoche
      8. Woman and Intimacy with Ilana Sharaun
      9. Download the Diamond Cutter!
      10. Lama Zopa on Medicine Buddha

      Dear Friends,

      Welcome to the first of a regular digest to keep you up-to-date on
      what's happening and what's new at LMB. If you haven't visited Land
      of Medicine Buddha lately, I should let you know that we are busy
      landscaping - there is now a beautiful zen-style pebble courtyard
      outside the meditation hall, and flowers, flowers, flowers blooming
      and still being planted everywhere.

      Meanwhile, in the meditation hall we are making extensive offerings
      every day to Medicine Buddha (see 5) to help support the Maitreya
      project (see 9) and eagerly looking forward to the return of Kyabje
      Ribur Rinpoche (see 2). Welcome and wonderful additions to our
      published program: Kyabje Denma Locho Rinpoche will be giving Great
      Medicine Buddha initiation early September (see 4), Ven Robina will
      be with us for a special weekend event (see 3) and Ilana
      Sharaun's course for women was so popular that she has been demanded
      to do another workshop in October (see 8).

      Meanwhile, Lama Zopa Rinpoche gave an exquisite talk on the benefits
      of Medicine Buddha practice (see 10) which I have edited for all of
      you. Lama Zopa also requested that we do a Medicine Buddha Puja on
      the Tibetan 8th of each month (see 6). With all this Medicine Buddha
      energy, we are building up to the Great Retreat with Lama Zopa in
      October (see 7) and I recommend you reserve your place soon as
      bookings are coming in from around the world.

      So please enjoy, and if you need more information on any of the
      events, check out our website www.medicinebuddha.org or call the
      office 831-462 8383 (9 am - 7 pm every day).

      With kindness
      Ven Sarah
      Tenzin Yiwong

      i) Jonathan Landaw, author and beloved teacher of Buddhism is
      teaching a popular Entering the Practice of Meditation class,
      Thursdays 7.30pm
      ii) Jon will be teaching a weekend on Preparing Now to Die
      Happily Later, August 17-19…
      iii) Tuesday nights' talks with Ven Sarah at 7pm have blossomed
      since the newspaper interview in the Sentinel…see our website for
      iv) We look forward the visit of Prema Dasara, innovative dancer,
      who will lead a day of joyful dancing for children and adults, August

      With great excitement, we look forward to Kyabje Ribur Rinpoche's
      return to LMB later this month. Rinpoche will be continuing the Path
      to Enlightenment teachings begun earlier in the year. This time the
      topics are: liberation, love, compassion, the awakening mind of
      enlightenment and the six perfections including emptiness--the
      ultimate view of reality.

      For those of you who missed the first part of the teachings, we
      should let you know that Rinpoche's wise, compelling and
      compassionate presence along with his powerful, experiential style of
      teaching are something not to be missed. His teaching transformed
      many people's lives earlier this year—and we expect this to
      be the same again—only better!

      There will be teachings every weekend from August 25-26 through to
      the end of September. Come to all, or as many as you can manage.
      Extra events will be announced through our e-groups. It is going to
      be a joyful, inspiring and uplifting 6 weeks!
      August 25/26, September 1/ 2, 8/9, 15/16, 22/23, 29/30

      Kyabje Ribur Rinpoche and Ven Robina Courtin
      September 8-9

      Join us for a very special weekend experience: Kyabje Ribur
      Rinpoche—one of the great realized lamas of Tibetan Buddhism—will
      introduce us step-by-step, in an experiential way through treasured
      authentic meditations for awakening the heart of loving-kindness and
      compassion. He will be joined by Ven Robina Courtin—a dynamic
      Western teacher and star of the film "Chasing Buddha"—who will talk
      straight about how to use these teachings to change your heart and
      mind, and start living life the way you really want to. The synergy
      of old and new will blend to give you a very real taste of the
      dynamics of compassion.

      September 4-5

      Kyabje Denma Locho Rinpoche has agreed to give the extremely rare two-
      day empowerment of Great Medicine Buddha at LMB. For those of you who
      have not yet met Rinpoche, he is the heart-disciple of His Holiness
      the Dalai Lama's Senior Tutor and a great scholar, great yogi and
      major lineage-holder of many important teachings and initiations, who
      is very close to His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Amongst his thousands
      of students are some of the highest Gelukpa lamas. Since this
      initiation is so rare and precious, the commitments between lama and
      disciple are expected to be strict, so please call for details.

      According to Lama Zopa Rinpoche— "More merit means easy
      life". So here at LMB we are busy doing as much as we can to make
      that happen by making lots and lots of offerings.

      Lama Zopa himself, inspired by our new Medicine Buddha statues—
      blessed by the Dalai Lama at Shoreline—is sponsoring constant
      light offerings. And Ven Sophia Su (Tenzin Chotso), our dedicated
      newly resident Chinese nun, is coordinating more than 112 sets of
      offerings to the Buddhas and other holy objects in the meditation
      hall, with special dedications for the Maitreya project and our new
      Medicine Buddha temple.

      We invite all of you to come and share in the merit by dedicating
      some time and energy to set up and take down the bowls. Ven Sophia
      will teach you how to make offerings perfectly and you are welcome to
      drop in any time—perhaps before work? There is a sign-up sheet in
      the office for volunteers and you can dedicate the merit for any
      purpose. Lama Zopa has said that making just one offering to the
      Medicine Buddhas purifies broken vows and brings protection.

      In the future, we plan to gold-leaf the robes of the statues
      and add halos and lights. If any of you have the skills to help,
      please call!

      Lama Zopa has requested us to do regular Medicine Buddha Puja on the
      Tibetan 8th of each month (see 10) with extensive offerings and to
      make tsa-tsas (plaster images) of the Medicine Buddha on the same day.

      So please add the following auspicious Medicine Buddha days
      (Tibetan 8th) to your calendar and we invite you to join us for
      prayers or to send names and dedications:

      Sunday, August 26
      Monday, September 24
      Wednesday, October 24
      Friday, November 23
      Sunday, December 23

      October 26- November 18

      More details of the Great Medicine Buddha retreat are now on our
      website. This is an extremely precious opportunity to spend 3 ½
      weeks on retreat led by our Spiritual Guide Lama Zopa Rinpoche and we
      already have bookings from around the Globe. The Great Medicine
      Buddha practice is a very rare one, and we expect this to be a
      special time.

      The Western retreat leader will be experienced senior monk Ven Marcel
      Bertels. As the retreat will be intensive and restricted, we do not
      anticipate that anyone but the retreat attendees will be able to
      attend Lama Zopa's teachings—so please sign up now if you
      don't want
      to miss out!

      October 20-21

      By popular demand!… Ilana Sharaun has agreed to lead another
      workshop for women only! The participants of Ilana's first workshop
      ("Women Awakening The Power Within), were so inspired by Ilana, and
      by each other, they were able to persuade Ilana to say yes to another
      round! This time the subject is "Reclaiming the Erotic Woman". The
      goal is to encourage women to reclaim and express their true
      sexuality, and to untangle the cultural inheritances that bind and
      limit deep intimacy. Once again, there will be meetings in the
      beautiful meadow at LMB, with lots of time to reflect and to support
      each-other's growth with caring and openness. This is truly a gem -
      don't miss it!

      Lama Zopa's beautiful teaching on bodhicitta, the preliminary
      practices and the first part of the transmission of the Diamond
      Cutter Sutra given at LMB on the auspicious Wheel-Turning Day, July
      24th, are available for download in MP3 format at:

      Many thanks to Roy Harvey of Lam Rim Radio for making this happen.
      Lama Zopa has agreed to complete the transmission of the Sutra on
      another auspicious day—so stay tuned! Reading the Diamond Cutter
      Sutra is one of the practices Lama Zopa has recommended to clear away
      obstacles to the success of the Maitreya project. For more
      information on this, check out: www.fpmt.org

      Edited and condensed from a talk during Medicine Buddha Puja by Lama
      Zopa Rinpoche, LMB, 28 July 2001

      "To the Bhagawan with equal compassion for all
      Whose name when just heard dispels lower realms' suffering
      Dispeller of disease and the three poisons
      I prostrate to Medicine Buddha Lapis Light."

      The Fifth Dalai Lama explains that the first verse expresses what
      Medicine Buddha is and talks about the qualities. Bhagawan
      means "Destroyer Qualified Gone Beyond One" or Chom Den De in
      Tibetan. "Destroyer" means not only destroyer of one's
      own gross and subtle defilements, the delusions, but also destroyer
      of other sentient beings' delusions and defilements. "Qualified"
      refers to six qualities. "Gone Beyond" means gone beyond the oceans of
      samsaric suffering. "With equal compassion for all" means Medicine
      Buddha's compassion is equal towards all sentient beings, there are
      no discriminating thoughts. Buddha doesn't just help those who have
      faith in him. Medicine Buddha has compassion to every single living
      being, equally—and that includes us. Then, "Whose name when just
      heard dispels lower realms' suffering".

      Any living being who hears the name of Medicine Buddha never gets
      reborn in the lower realms—that's the benefit, the power of
      just hearing the name, the mantra. Buddha asked his attendant Ananda:
      "Do you believe this?" and Ananda replied, "Yes I believe what
      the Buddha says." Then Buddha said "Why?" Ananda replied,
      "Because Buddha has inconceivable qualities, therefore I have no
      doubt." Then Buddha said, "Even animals who hear Medicine Buddha's
      name from that time on will never be reborn in the lower realms."
      This is such an easy way to save living beings from heavy suffering.
      There's no question about animals having faith in Medicine
      Buddha's power—so how can there be any doubt that human beings who
      hear Medicine Buddha's mantra will never again be reborn in the lower
      realms, whether they have faith or not? Just hearing the name is
      enough, so when people are dying one of the best things to do is to
      recite the name loudly in the ear, then you save the person from the
      suffering of the lower realms for many aeons. The reason there is
      so much power is due to Medicine Buddha's compassion. In the past
      when he was a bodhisattva he made so many prayers and dedications
      with strong compassion for his name to be wish fulfilling, to bring

      When he became enlightened, one of the ten powers of a
      Buddha is the power of prayer—that means that all the prayers
      that have been made get fulfilled. So it is extremely important in
      our daily life to practice Medicine Buddha and to chant his name for
      the animals. It's an unbelievably easy way to liberate yourself and
      to help others too.

      If you eat meat, recite the mantra of Medicine Buddha and blow over
      the meat. This way the animal's negative karma gets purified. No
      matter how far away the consciousness is it receives the effect and
      helps the animal to a higher rebirth. Also, if you find insects in
      the house, by reciting the mantra and blowing on them it purifies
      their negative karmas and helps them to have a good rebirth. That
      fulfils the purpose of them coming into your house, into your room.
      It makes their life meaningful and since you are able to benefit them
      it makes your life meaningful also.

      Some years ago I did retreat in Big Sur in America, in a cabin near
      the water. Many ants used to come into the kitchen. So I sent three
      tsa-tsas (images of Buddha) to the cooks and told them each time they
      found ants or insects in the house to put them in a plastic
      bag—don't seal it—or container, then hold the tsa-tsa in one hand and
      with the other hand circumambulate the bag clockwise at the same
      level as the tsa-tsa. With each circumambulation all the ants create
      the cause for enlightenment, and by the way the cause for liberation
      from samsara and by the way the cause for all the happiness of future
      lives for hundreds of thousands of lifetimes. This is such an easy
      way to help them, to liberate them. Since that time whenever we see
      insects in the house we try to take them around holy objects a few
      times. By coming into the house they make us do the best practice—
      helping others. They make our lives meaningful and we make their
      lives meaningful. We help each other.

      Medicine Buddha practice also purifies any broken vows, like
      Pratimoksha vows, or precepts. It is very powerful for purification
      and for healing sickness. Normally people think that Medicine Buddha
      is for healing but it's not only that, it's also very
      powerful for purifying negative karma and very powerful for success.
      When I was in Germany I read the Medicine Buddha Sutra and actually
      the Medicine Buddha practice is so precious. It seems that you can do
      Medicine Buddha Puja for ANY purpose, ANY problem, ANYTHING. You can
      use the Medicine Buddha practice for any kind of problem, for court
      cases, to stop wars, to stop violence, anything. It is very good for
      business, for mothers who are pregnant to give birth successfully,

      The practice can be done for anything. It is very powerful for
      success and of course the most important success is to have the
      realizations of the Lam Rim, the path to enlightenment: to realize
      emptiness, develop wisdom, bodhicitta and guru devotion—to be
      able to give extensive benefit to other sentient beings.

      Many of the Dharma kings in Tibet who did great benefit to preserve
      and spread the Dharma practised Medicine Buddha on every 8th day of
      the Tibetan month (that's the same as Tara day) and also on the
      fifteen special days of the Buddha performing miracles (the first
      fifteen days of the first Tibetan month). Recently I read a detailed
      explanation by the Fifth Dalai Lama on the Medicine Buddha practice,
      both sutra and tantra, and the biographies of the lineage lamas. Each
      one was able to give so much benefit to sentient beings and the
      teachings of Buddha and had great realizations by doing Medicine
      Buddha practice.

      For example, Lha Lama Yeshe Oe, the Dharma king who invited Lama
      Atisha to Tibet did Medicine Buddha practice as a main deity and was
      able to establish many monasteries with extensive listening,
      reflection and meditation practice. He sacrificed his life to spread
      pure Dharma in Tibet by inviting Lama Atisha. When he went to look
      for gold as an offering, he was captured and put in prison near Nepal
      where he passed away. When they offered fire to his holy body rainbow
      lights were emitted and there were rainfalls of flowers for seven
      days. Then a Medicine Buddha, the size of a thumb, appeared from his
      heart and went to Pure Land. The sky was filled with the sound of
      music and there were so many wonderful signs. All the lineage lamas
      of Medicine Buddha did Puja on the 8th of every month, had incredible
      realizations and when they passed away there were wonderful signs
      like this king Lha Lama Yeshe Oe.
      "Dispeller of disease and the three poisons"—the three
      poisons are ignorance, hatred and attachment, the sicknesses of the
      mind from which come the physical sicknesses—cancer, depression, etc.
      "I prostrate to Medicine Buddha Lapis Light."

      Medicine Buddha's mantra is: tayatha om bekandze bekandze maha
      bekandze radza samudgate soha. Tayatha—means "like this". Om—is
      composed of the three pure sounds A U and MA, which signifies one's
      own body, speech and mind that get transformed into the vajra holy
      body, speech and mind. Then bekandze bekandze—"eliminating pain,
      eliminating pain". What eliminates pain is medicine. This pain is not
      ordinary pain—even animals do not want to experience that. The first
      eliminating pain is true suffering, the second is the true cause of
      suffering. The medicine that eliminates pain is first the graduated
      path of the lower capable being, and second the graduated path of the
      middle capable being. Then maha bekandze—"the great eliminating pain"
      is the graduated path of the higher capable being, which eliminates
      the subtle defilements. So bekandze bekandze maha bekandze contains
      the whole path to enlightenment, the ultimate medicine. Radza—is
      king. Samudgate. Soha—to establish the foundation in the heart, the
      blessing, the devotion from which the realization comes.

      By actualising the meaning of the path contained in bekandze
      bekandze maha bekandze, the whole Lam Rim, you cease the defilements,
      gross and subtle, and purify the ordinary body, speech and mind into
      the vajra holy body, speech and mind. After this you are able to do
      perfect works for other sentient beings.