Pujas & New Events in April

  • Tenzin Tsomo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      Pujas this week at 7pm
      Friday:        Chittamani Tara Puja
      Saturday:    Vajrasattva Tsog Offering

      ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

      Lojong-Mind Training with Jon Landaw
      Sundays, April 5, 12, 19 at 11am - 12.30pm

      As ordinary humans, we all come into contact with difficult situations. These teachings  will help you to learn how to take charge of how you respond to the irritations of life, and transform even the most difficult experiences into the practice of compassion. Founded on learning to see others as the true source of our happiness, Lojong, or thought transformation teachings, are as relevant today as they were centuries ago.

      Jon Landaw and Venerable Steve Carlier will teach on five Sundays leading up to a Compassion-Lojong (mind training) Weekend with meditations on om mani padme hum in May co-led by these two highly qualified teachers.   On May 3 & 10, 11am, Venerable Steve will spend two Sundays on the om mani padme hum mantra, talking about its meaning and benefits and how to meditate while reciting it.

      Compassion-Lojong (mind training) weekend
      Transforming Difficult Times with Compassion
      on May 15 - 17
      led by Venerable Steve and Jon Landaw

      ●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

      Buddhist Sutras: Taking the essence
      by Venerable Thubten Munsel
      Wednesdays, April 8 & 15 at 7pm

      Buddhist sutras, or scriptures, are the holy teachings spoken by Lord Buddha during his 49 years as a teacher after he had achieved peerless, full enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree.  The Buddha spoke according to the dispositions of the sentient beings he was teaching. It is said:

          The Buddha spoke the Dharma,
          For the sake of living beings’ minds;
          If living beings had no minds,
          What use would the Dharma be?

      There are numberless sutras within the Buddhist canon. The practice of reciting sutras, memorizing sutras, writing out sutras, and prostrating to each word or syllable in the sutras is still carried out, throughout the world, by both laypeople, and ordained Sangha. It is said that the merit that one collects by engaging in these practices with a virtuous mind is limitless.

      In this class we will be going over selected sutras, such as the Avatamsaka Sutra, the Wonderful Dharma Lotus Sutra, the Shurangama Sutra, the Heart Sutra, and the Sutra of the Past Vows of Earth Store [Kshitigarbha] Bodhisattva. We hope that this class will help you to open the door to your investigation, understanding, and practice of the Buddhist sutras.