This week - Losar Tashi Delek!

  • Tsomo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008

      Upcoming This Week

      Monday, Feb 4, 7pm

      Khensur Jampa Tegchog Rinpoche’s teachings start up again!

      Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life – Chapter Six on Patience

      Tuesday, Feb 5, 7pm

      7pm:          Wisdom of Emptiness by Jon Landaw

      8.45pm:    Group Recitation of Diamond Cutter Sutra for Ecie Hursthouse (see the message right at the bottom)

      Thursday, February 7

      Losar Tashi Delek!

      The fifteen days of Losar commemorate the occasion when Buddha Shakyamuni was challenged by the six Hindu extremists to a public contest of miracle exhibition. At first Buddha declined but the demand was pressed upon him again and again, and in the end the Buddha was forced to comply and agreed to meet them at Sravasti. According to legend, the contest continued for fifteen consecutive days.  The kings, from the different kingdoms, took turns to sponsor each day’s events - made offerings and request, the Buddha performed the miracle and gave teachings in accordance with the capacities of those present who had been moved by faith; many beings were placed on the path of one or another of the three vehicles.

      The fifteen days are said to be special Buddha days where whatever merit created is multiplied 100 million times – more information below on merit making opportunities.   It is traditional to do Palden Lhamo Puja at the break of dawn at Losar in the monasteries in Tibet and India, and make various auspicious offerings.  At Land of Medicine Buddha, we will offer praises and requests to Palden Lhamo.  Losar is also the anniversary of Lama Yeshe's passing – so we’ll offer lots of lights and perform Lama Chopa and tsog.

      We would like to offer lunch to those who join us for the Losar puja - please RSVP by Tuesday 5pm - Email: office@... or call: 831-462 8383

      8am:             Medicine Buddha Puja

      10.30am:    Lama Chopa Tsog and Palden Lhamo: Praises & Requests, with Khensur Rinpoche Jampa Tegchog

      7pm:            Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life

      8.45pm:      Group Recitation of Diamond Cutter Sutra for Ecie Hursthouse

      Merit Making during the First Fifteen Days of Miracles

      Sutra Recitation and Writing

      Recite Golden Light Sutra

      Lama Zopa Rinpoche urges us to recite the Sutra of Golden Light every day. The benefits from reciting, listening to, or even hearing the name of the sutra are immeasurable, from eliminating conflict, terrorism, torture and famine to achieving full enlightenment.

      Therefore, Rinpoche says, recite even one page every day, and if possible, do so with others.

      More information on: http://www.fpmt.org/golden_light_sutra/

      ·      Sanghata Sutra – recite or write

      On how to make the 15 Days of Miracles most beneficial, Lama Zopa Rinpoche said: “This is the best and most exciting time, whatever practice or virtue we do, the merit is increased 100 million times. So please especially do recitations of the Arya Sangatasutra as much as you can, when you can.”  The Sanghata Sutra is a direct teaching by the Buddha that promises to transform all who read or recite it.

      We invite you to help Land of Medicine Buddha create merit, the causes of success!, by reciting or writing the Sanghatasutra.

      More information on: http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/zopa/advice/sanghatasutra.asp

      Please contact me (Tsomo) if you would like to participate in any of the above recitation or writing: tsomo@.... Thank you!

      Collection for the Needy: Feb 7 - 20

      Beginning the day of the Tibetan New Year we will collect items to be donated to local people who are currently without homes.

      Items which are most needed at this time are: warm socks, hats, and mittens.

      Please place new items you would like to donate in the gompa.

      We will be delivering these items on February 21st to a local shelter.

      Join our community in the creation of merit by remembering the needs of the poor among the offerings that you intend to make during the 15 Days of Miracles

      Knitting Hats for nuns.

      Looking knitters who would like to help make warm hats for Buddhist nuns in Tibet.  The goal is to complete 250 hats by March 3, 2008 to be hand-carried to Tibet by a group of Buddhist practitioners.  For more information, please see: http://mysite.verizon.net/reso5cyd/hatsfornuns/
      Thank you so much for any assistance you are able to give - organised by Willow Million, member of Gyalwa Gyatso Buddhist Center

      A Big Thank You!

      To those of you who responded to the Diamond Cutter Sutra recitations request - either participating in our group recitations or reciting individually at home.   We should be able to completely fulfill the 110 recitations for Ecie Hursthouse by Losar.    Some of you have asked about how she is doing. Her husband, William has set up a website with daily progress report:  www.bc.org.nz/smash.  The good news is she’s recovering slowly slowly but quite steadily.  J

      Tenzin Tsomo
      Land of Medicine Buddha
      Spiritual Programme Coordinator
      5800 Prescott Road
      Soquel, CA 95073
      (831) 462 8383
      tsomo@...
      www.medicinebuddha.org

      100,000 Stupa Project: www.peacestupa.org
      LMB is Affiliated to the FPMT: www.fpmt.org

      P   Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.