January events... Starting on this Sunday!

  • Tsomo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2008
      Contents:
      1. Purification in Emptiness
      2. Wisdom of Emptiness
      3. The Myths We Live By
      4. Rethinking Plastics; Rethinking our Lives
      5. Restorative Retreat for Optimal Well-Being

      For Registration and Information:

      831-462 8383; office@...; www.medicinebuddha.org

      Suggested donation for classes: $5 - 25 per session

      No one turned away due to lack of funds - center exists through the kind support of friends and benefactors. Donations are welcome. Work trade is also available.

      1.
      Purification in Emptiness
      Vajrasattva practice with the Four Opponent Powers
      with Jon Landaw
      January 6, 13, 20
      Sundays;  10.30am - 12.30pm
      We have been so fortunate to receive extensive teachings on emptiness by Khensur Jampa Tegchog Rinpoche in the past year. Generally, our understanding of emptiness will improve as we continue to listen, study and contemplate the teachings. In addition, in order for what we have studied to become an experience within our minds, we should also practice extensive purification and accumulation of merit.  Vajrasattva Practice, combined with the contemplation on emptiness, is one such powerful purification practice. Join Jon Landaw on Sunday mornings to start the new year fresh with a more positive mind and cleaner karma!

      2.
      Wisdom of Emptiness
      by Jon Landaw
      January 8 - Feb 12
      Tuesdays,  7 - 9pm
      The actual meaning of emptiness and dependent arising – ultimate and conventional reality – and how to realize them: the heart of the Buddhist path.

      3.
      The Myths We Live By
      by Karuna Cayton (LMFT)
      January 9, 16, 23, 30
      Wednesdays, 7 - 8.30pm

      Venue: Louden Nelson Community Center - 301 Center Street, Santa Cruz

      Develop a new sense of enthusiasm and energy!

      Learn to identify long held beliefs and attitudes which result in habitual patterns leading to difficulties and stress. Learn to identify alternative beliefs that have withstood the test of time and - while derived from Ancient Buddhist tradition - are aligned to a more universal value system.

      4.
      Rethinking Plastics; Rethinking our Lives
      January 13, Sunday, 2 - 3.30pm
      A presentation by Stuart Moody of Green Sangha
      Showing of Synthetic Sea followed by slide show and exhibit of alternatives.
      Our streets, parks and beaches are clogged with non-biodegradable plastic.  Plastic is toxic.  Many modern disorders are linked to plastics exposure, including asthma, cancer, diabetes and obesity. One million  seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals die every year through accidental ingestion or entanglement in plastic.  In large areas of the Pacific Ocean, small plastic debris outweighs zooplankton by a factor of 6 to 1. Join Stuart Moody of Green Sangha, who will describe how we can free ourselves from this growing burden of litter and pollution.

      5.
      Restorative Retreat for Optimal Well-Being

      January 28-31, 2008

      This fun, de-stressing get-a-way includes a variety of relaxing and healing methods to help you rebalance and energize.

      Qigong and self acupressure will bring you to a state of deep relaxation through gentle physical movements and mindful breathing. As the Qi or vital energy moves smoothly through the meridians you can experience increased flexibility and energy.

      Enjoy heart healthy organic cooking with low fat and high flavor recipes. Learn energy massage techniques and aromatherapy for relaxation and well-being. Guided healing meditations, visualizations and mantras to reopen the heart and bring deep inner peace.

      This is a wonderful opportunity to rebalance in a beautiful, restful forest setting

      Commuter Retreat

      January 28         Check in: 4-5pm; Orientation: 5.30 - 6.30pm; Dinner: 6.30pm

      January 29-30    9:30-7pm

      January 31         9:30-1:30pm

      Cost:

      $200 includes Day Classes, Lunches and Dinners

      Day rate $60 includes Day Classes, Lunch and Dinner

      ½ day rate $40 includes 2 Classes and Lunch

      To register as a Commuter, please call (831) 462-8383

      Residential Retreat

      Cost: $420 for Double room accomodation; $570 for a Single room

      Includes classes, evening program, breakfasts, lunches and dinners

      To register as a Resident for the Retreat, please contact Elderhostel at  (877) 426-8056

      Residential Retreat is for people 55 or older, or for younger people who come with a friend of relatve 55 or older.

      Tenzin Tsomo
      Spiritual Programme Coordinator
      Land of Medicine Buddha
      5800 Prescott Road