Upcoming events at Land of Medicine Buddha...

  • Sally Barraud
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006
      *Hello from Land of Medicine Buddha!

      Activities happening over the next few weeks ....*

      *The Gradual Path to Awakening - NEW!!!!!!! Starting this coming Monday...
      *
      *With Venerable Steve
      Carlier
      Steve Carlier*
      *Monday evenings 7 - 9 p.m.*
      *Beginning March 6, 13, 20, 27 and April 3 and 10th (6 sessions) Drop
      in's are okay and welcome!*

      The most meaningful use for our life is to benefit others. Therefore,
      the most meaningful thing we can do is to improve the inner world of our
      mind, by gradually discarding old, habitual ways of thinking and
      behaving that have caused ourselves and those around us, so much pain
      and suffering up to now. And to cultivate new ways of thinking and
      acting that will be much more effective in achieving the true inner
      happiness and satisfaction that each of us is seeking.
      The Stages of the Path (Lam Rim) style of presenting the Buddha's
      teachings specializes in explaining such an approach. This course will
      be based mainly on a short, Stages of the Path teaching, by Je Rinpoche
      Lama Tsong Khapa popularly known as, "The Foundation of All Good
      Qualities," (which can be found at www.lamayeshe.com under /other
      teachers/) and will also draw on another of his texts, the outstanding,
      "Three Principal Aspects of the Path," (a short text published by Snow
      Lion, and available at our bookstore). Emphasis will be placed on how
      to gain meditation experience, and how to make that experience relevant
      to daily life.

      *Mind and its Potential (A Discovering Buddhism module)
      With Jon Landaw
      **Jon LandawTuesday evenings 7 - 9 p.m.
      February 14, 21, 28, March 7, 21, 28 (no class on March 14) - (6 sessions) Drop in's are okay and welcome!*

      Examine the meaning of "mind" as well as its nature and function; how it affects our experience of happiness and suffering.
      Come explore the differentiation between mind and brain; mind as the creator of our experiences;
      The implications of possessing a mind that has no beginning and no end.
      In addition, learn methods to transform destructive thoughts and attitudes and create a positive and joyous mind.

      This is the first "Discovering Buddhism" Module in our new 2006 series of the entire Program.

      *

      Becoming Your Own Therapist
      With Karuna Cayton LMFT
      Karune CaytonWednesday evenings 7 - 9 p.m.
      March 1st, 8th and 15th (3 sessions) - Drop in's are okay and welcome!
      **
      *Through an understanding of one's own mind, true inner peace and health can be attained.
      This course will provide both an introduction to the Buddhist idea that we can become our own psychologists by becoming more familiar
      with how our minds function, and the techniques, strategiesand practices that assist in this awareness.
      While delivering content on Buddhist psychology, there will also be some dialogue on the topic of integrating these ideas into modern culture.

      *

      Way of Life of a Bodhisattva - NEW !!!!! Starting March 9th...**
      A Commentary on the Bodhicharyavatara
      *

      *Steve CarlierWith Venerable Steve Carlier
      Thursday evenings 7 - 9 p.m.
      March 9, 16, 23, 30 and April 6, 13 (no class April 20) 27 and May 4,
      11, 18.**

      *

      This text, written by the great Bodhisattva Shantideva as a personal
      meditation on the bodhisattva's path, is one of the most amazing texts
      that has ever been written in this world, detailing how to gain a
      heartfelt determination to achieve enlightenment for the sake of all the
      mother sentient beings, and then based on that how to practice the
      bodhisattva's way of life, summarized as the six perfections of
      generosity, discipline, patience, enthusiasm, concentration, and wisdom.

      */
      /*

      */Course Text: /*
      *A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life*, by Shantideva;
      Translated by Stephen Batchelor,/ LTWA/
      *or*
      *The Way of the Bodhisattva,* by Shantideva;
      Translated by Padmakara Translation Group, /Shambala/

      *Heart Shrine Relic Show at Land of Medicine Buddha
      April 1 & 2, 2006*
      RelicsWe are very pleased to announce that Land of Medicine Buddha will
      be hosting a relic show this coming April.
      These relics carry powerful blessings not only for those who are able to
      be in their presence, but for every community they visit.
      We hope that local people from all walks of life will be inspired to
      come and benefit.
      Many living Buddhist masters from a number of traditions and countries,
      including Burma, Indonesia, Thailand, Tibet and Taiwan, have donated
      relics to be placed in the Heart Shrine of the Maitreya Project statue,
      including relics of Shakyamuni Buddha which were offered by His Holiness
      the Dalai Lama.
      In March 2001, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Spiritual Director of Maitreya
      Project, released this rare and precious collection of Buddhist relics
      for worldwide exhibition. The relics will travel the world until
      approximately 2010 when they will be placed in the completed 500ft/152m
      Maitreya Buddha statue. Until then, it is Rinpoche's wish that as many
      people as possible will have the opportunity of viewing these relics in
      their local communities.
      The Heart Shrine Relic Tour exhibitions are open to the public and are
      free, giving everyone the rare opportunity to be in the presence of such
      priceless holy objects.
      For more information on the Relics and the Maitreya Project, visit
      www.maitreyaproject.org

      Land of Medicine Buddha
      5800 Prescott Road,
      Soquel, CA 95073