Upcoming events

  • Bookstore
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006

      Welcome to 2006, and a new season of teachings at
      Land of Medicine Buddha!

       We have enjoyed a quiet December, even though we just bid farewell to 30+ young people who once again put in long hours taming their minds at this winter's teen retreat.  So far we've had no unusual challenges due to the exceptional rains in California, may our prayers help all beings who have been adversely effected.

       practice room Buddhist Prayers & Practices
            This series starts  with, What are Prayers for?

                        Thurs. Jan. 12th at 7pm
       A number of popular prayers will be presented in terms of the meditation they express.  The Tibetan masters tell us without hesitation that these prayers are of real benefit.  This is a great opportunity to impress upon our minds which prayers to use for different circumstances, not to mention an opportunity to ask questions!

        In the meantime we are receiving teaching on impermanence: Venerable Kunchog (recently Brent) will no longer be teaching this series, Venerable Tsenla was scheduled to teach in his stead, however, she has just been called away.  So, we are currently working on finding a replacement teacher.
      This class will be followed on January 19th with, How to do Prostrations,
      and on January 26th with, How to do Mandala Offering

      To register, please call: 831-462 8383
      or email: office@...

      Tibetan Buddhism in Plain English
      HHDL and Oprah
                   with Jon Landaw
                                             Tuesdays, 7pm

                  January 17, 24, and 31

         What does Buddhism have to say to us here & now?  How can we use Buddhist teachings to become truly happy?  For personal and practical answers to these questions, join local author and meditation teacher Jon Landaw.

      Also with Jon Landaw, there is an upcoming weekend program
      Practice of the Five Powers
      Feb. 24-26
      Fri. 7-9pm, Sat. 10-4:30pm, Sun. 10-12:30pm
         The Five Powers explain how to make not only one's life, but one's death as well, truly meaningful and beneficial for both oneself and others.  According to Lama Zopa Rinpoche's recently compiled commentary, upon which this course will be based, these Five Powers provide the most effective means for negotiating death without fear or regret, and for achieving a Pure Land rebirth.

      To register, please call: 831-462 8383
      or email: office@...

      Author and editor of several books including “Buddhism for Dummies”, “Images of Enlightenment”, “Prince Siddhartha”, Jon Landaw was born in Paterson, New Jersey, in 1944. He received his B.A. degree in English Literature from Dartmouth College in 1965 and spent three years teaching English as a Second Language with the Peace Corps in Iran.  Jon worked as English editor for the Translation Bureau of His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Dharamsala, India at the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives (1972-77) producing numerous texts. As a student of Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa Rinpoche since the mid-1970's, he has edited numerous works for Wisdom Publications. As an instructor of Buddhist meditation, he has taught in numerous Dharma centers throughout the United States, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and elsewhere. He currently lives in Capitola, California with his wife and three children.

      relics        Heart Shrine Relic Tour
                                          April 1 & 2
      We are very pleased to announce that LMB will be hosting a relic tour exhibition this coming April.  These relics carry powerful blessings not only for those who are able to be in their presence, but for every community they visit.  We hope that local people from all walks of life will be inspired to come and benefit.

        Many living Buddhist masters from a number of traditions and countries, including Burma, Indonesia, Thailand, Tibet and Taiwan, have donated relics to be placed in the Heart Shrine of the Maitreya Project statue, including relics of Shakyamuni Buddha which were offered by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.  In March 2001, Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Spiritual Director of Maitreya Project, released this rare and precious collection of Buddhist relics for worldwide exhibition.  The relics will travel the world until approximately 2010 when they will be placed in the completed 500ft/152m Maitreya Buddha statue. Until then, it is Rinpoche's wish that as many people as possible will have the opportunity of viewing these relics in their local communities.
         The Heart Shrine Relic Tour exhibitions are open to the public and are free, giving everyone the rare opportunity to be in the presence of such priceless holy objects.
      For more information on the Relics and the Maitreya Project, visit
      www.maitreyaproject.org

    • Tsomo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2006
        Contents:
        At Land of Medicine Buddha
        1. Heart Shrine Relic Show: April 1 & 2
        2. Family Day: April 8
        3. Choden Rinpoche at Land of Medicine Buddha: April 16

        And at Dharmagates in San Jose
        4. Choden Rinpoche: March 18 & 19, April 1

        Other program for the week:
        Monday: A Gradual Path to Awakening - Ven Steve Carlier
        Tuesday: Mind and Its Potential - Jon Landaw
        Thursday: Way of Life of the Bodhisattva - Ven Steve Carlier

        at Land of Medicine Buddha, April 1 & 2

[...]

        ***************************
        Familiy Day Once Again

        Hi Friends!

        We are once again inviting children and their loved ones to an afternoon at Land of Medicine Buddha!   We will have a teaching and meditation for the parents,  teachings and crafts for the children, some exploration of the land,  and snacks.

        Date: Saturday, April 8
        Time: 1:00 pm
        Registration: Contact Sara at  (831) 338 -4095 or sara@...
        Cost: $5 for adults, children are free.

        Tell your friends!

        **************************************
        Venerable Choden Rinpoche
        at Land of Medicine Buddha
        on
        April 16, 2006, Sunday
        2 - 5 pm

        Preliminary Teaching: the Five Powers - how to make our lives meaningful for others
        The practice of the five powers is taken from the Mind Training (lo.jong) teachings. It is about how to integrate what the Buddha taught into the practice of a life-time, and how to prepare ourselves when death is approaching.

        White Tara Long Life Initiation
        Long life initiations are given to prolong life and eliminate obstacles to untimely death, in order to carry on our spiritual practice.

        Commitments:
        * Taking wishing or engaging Bodhisattva vows
        * There might be a daily mantra commitment

        Choden Rinpoche at San Jose Teaching Schedule
        We are very extreme fortunate to have Choden Rinpoche bestowing initiations and teachings again in March and April, 2006.
        The schedule of events is as follows:
        This weekend!
        1. Medicine Buddha Initiation and Teaching
        March 18 Medicine Buddha Initiation
        March 19 Medicine Buddha practice

        2. April 1 White Umbrella Initiation
        Both Medicine Buddha and White Umbrella belong to Action Tantra.

        Vegetarian food should be observed on the day of initiation until initiation is completed.
        Both initiations no commitment required.

        All initiations and teachings will start at 3:30pm.
        Held at Dharmagates Center, 980B Rincon Circle, San Jose, CA 95131.
        (We are very grateful that Dharmagates Center provided the place free of charge)

        Free Admission: Donation to support the activities is welcome!
        Please note: there will be a Chinese simultaneous translation provided,
        Please bring your FM headset if you wish to listen in Chinese.

        Questions: Jessica Wang (408)263-3962 Ching-Chi (408)867-9339