Program Highlights and news at LMB

  • lmbdharma
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2002
      LMB UPDATE, FEBRUARY 7, 2002

      * CHANGES AT LMB

      * SPRING PROGRAM

      CHANGES AT LMB

      We now have a new Director and Spiritual Program Coordinator at LMB.
      Tom Flynn, who managed both LMB and the Heart of Wisdom Teachings
      with His Holiness the Dalai Lama last May, is retiring and will be
      replaced by new Director Sally Barraud. Sally is originally from New
      Zealand and has been a student of the Dharma since 1973. She has
      directed other FPMT Dharma centres—most recently Tushita Retreat
      Centre in Dharamsala, India.

      Our new Spiritual Program Coordinator is Breige Walbridge, who been
      involved with the Dharma for a long time and is the current
      coordinator of our Elderhostel programs.

      Ven Sarah is now full-time Resident Teacher at LMB and in the
      surrounding area.

      SPRING PROGRAM

      Our Spring program is now on the website. Here are some of the
      upcoming events:

      * Miracle Month
      * Ultimate Healing with Ven Sarah
      * Animal Liberation
      * Elderhostels
      * Avalokitesvara (Chenrezig) Fasting Retreat in English and Mandarin
      * Women Awakening with Ilana Sharaun
      * Compassion Training with Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche
      * Becoming Your Own Therapist with Ven Robina Courtin

      We also continue with our regular ongoing Tuesday night class with
      Ven Sarah

      * Wise and Compassionate Living

      MIRACLE MONTH
      February 13 –30

      The first month of the Tibetan New Year is known as the "Miracle
      Month" and honours the Buddha's display of many miraculous
      feats.
      Virtue and non-virtue is said to increase millions of times during
      this month, so practice is stressed.

      Some of the events planned at LMB to maximise this special time are:

      Eight Mahayana Precepts, Feb 13, 20, 24, 27, 5 am

      Shakyamuni Buddha Puja, Wednesday Feb 13, 7 pm

      Ultimate Healing Weekend, Friday-Sunday Feb15-17.
      Animal Liberation, Sunday Feb 17, 2.30 pm

      Medicine Buddha Puja, Wednesday Feb 20, 7 pm.
      Relic Show, Sunday Feb 24.
      Shakyamuni Buddha Puja, Wednesday Feb 27, 7 pm.
      Chenrezig Fasting Retreat, Friday-Monday, March 8-11.

      EIGHT MAHAYANA PRECEPTS
      February 13, 20, 24, 27, 5 am

      The Eight Mahayana Precepts are a set of eight vows taken with the
      motivation of wishing enlightenment for the sake of all sentient
      beings and protected for 24 hours. They are a very powerful way to
      accumulate virtue through generating a compassionate intention and
      keeping pure morality.

      SHAKYAMUNI BUDDHA PUJA
      Wednesday February 13 & 27, 7 pm

      This extensive puja with many prayers directed towards the compassion
      Buddha Shakyamuni is specially recommended by Lama Zopa Rinpoche to
      honour the special anniversaries of the Buddha. All are welcome.

      ULTIMATE HEALING
      Ven Sarah, Resident Teacher, Land of Medicine Buddha,
      Friday-Sunday, February 15-17

      Healing takes place at many levels. The ultimate healing—the
      deepest,
      most expansive and profound—Takes place in the heart and mind.
      This
      weekend workshop is based on the popular new book Ultimate Healing by
      Lama Zopa Rinpoche. It will explore the psychology and techniques of
      Buddhist healing with guided meditations and discussion. All are
      welcome.

      Ven Sarah was appointed Resident Teacher at the Land of Medicine
      Buddha by Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche. She is an English nun, ordained by
      His Holiness the Dalai Lama in 1986, who has studied with many great
      Buddhist masters and taught in countries around the world.

      Friday 15, 7 pm - Introductory Talk
      Saturday 16, 10-6 pm - Ultimate Healing
      Sunday 17, 10-1 pm - Ultimate Healing

      Cost $65 (both days) Lunch $20 (both days)

      ANIMAL LIBERATION
      Sunday, February 17, 2.30 pm

      The practice of liberating animals from the danger of death and doing
      prayers and practices for their well-being is a very noble one. Aside
      from the compassion it stimulates within our minds, it is also a way
      to prevent and overcome life obstacles and to promote healing. This
      is a very good event for families as it encourages children to think
      with kindness about other creatures.

      We welcome donations towards the costs of purchasing the animals so
      that we can liberate as many as possible. Please clearly mark all
      donations "For Animal Liberation".

      ELDERHOSTEL
      Sunday, February 17, 4 pm – Friday, February 22, 1:30 pm

      Our very popular Elderhostel programs are residential and are also
      open to commuters.

      Buddhism and western narrative psychology with Karuna Cayton
      Buddhist psychology with Ven Sarah Tresher
      Qigong and self-acupressure for everyone with Breige Walbridge
      Healthy food choices with Beth Gillespie

      Call office: 462-8383 for details

      MEDICINE BUDDHA PUJA
      Wednesday, February 20, 7 pm

      "Medicine Buddha practice is so precious. You can do Medicine
      Buddha
      puja for any purpose, any problem, anything!" Kyabje Zopa
      Rinpoche,
      LMB, July 2001

      Prayers to the Medicine Buddhas are extremely powerful and beneficial
      for the sick and dying, or for those who have already passed away.
      They are also very effective for success in any activity.

      His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama blessed the Medicine Buddha
      statues in our meditation hall. We make daily offerings to them as
      well as performing the elaborate Medicine Buddha puja once a month on
      the 8th day of the Tibetan lunar calendar. That day, we also take the
      Eight Mahayana Precepts and make plaster images (tsatsas) of the
      Medicine Buddhas.

      You are welcome to join us in these prayers, help with the daily
      offerings, make a contribution, or offer names for prayers and
      dedications.

      RELIC SHOW
      Sunday, February 24

      Details to be announced.

      AVALOKITESVARA (CHENREZIG) FASTING RETREAT
      Ven Sarah (English) Ven Sophia (Chinese)

      The Chenrezig Fasting Retreat (Nyung-nay) is a very powerful
      purification practice with a special quality for developing
      compassion.

      Over the course of two days, we take Mahayana precepts, recite
      prayers and praises to the Buddha of Compassion, make many offerings
      and prostrations, abstain from eating, drinking and talking (second
      day) and practice virtue as much as possible with the purest
      motivation of compassion.

      In this way, the body is purified by abiding in the retreat, the
      speech is purified through the recitation of mantra and prayers, and
      the mind is purified by compassionate motivation and by visualizing
      oneself as the deity.

      This retreat will be conducted in both English and Mandarin.
      Participants should ideally have received an Avalokitesvara
      initiation. If this is not the case, one should have received a
      complete initiation from one of the three higher classes of tantra,
      or an initiation of one of the deities of the tathagata or lotus
      family of Kriya Tantra. As an absolute minimum, one should have
      taken refuge.

      Friday March 7, 7pm Introduction to Nyung-nay
      Saturday 8, All day
      Sunday 9, All day
      Monday 10, 4.30-7.30 am

      WOMEN AWAKENING
      Ilana Sharaun, M.A., M.F.T.
      March 16-17

      The goddess Tara is the embodiment of the swift-acting compassion of
      all the Buddhas. She represents the absolute power of the feminine
      that exists within us all…. What is it then, as women, that holds
      us
      back when our potential is so full?

      Often it is simply a question of having the courage to identify our
      deepest goals, and then awaken the power within that can accomplish
      them.

      This workshop is about just that: we will start on the meadow in the
      shade of the goddess of compassion Kwan Yin, and over the course of
      two days, there will be time, space and support to identify our hopes
      and fears, and to learn to go beyond them.

      There will be a gradual awakening of insight into how we create our
      reality, and how we can control that creative process to our
      advantage instead of being controlled by it. Techniques will be
      taught to find our own voice and to remove the obstacles that block
      us developing our own power so that by the end of the weekend the
      real adventure of living the life you truly wish for can begin….

      This workshop is for women only… Don't miss it!

      Ilana Sharaun left her job as an executive in Silicon Valley to
      become a psychotherapist working with women only. She specializes in
      helping women thrive through an inner awakening of the intuitive,
      relational and spiritual power native to every woman.

      Saturday 16 March, 10 am – 4 pm
      Sunday 17 March, 10 am – 4 pm
      Cost: $175 Lunch $20 (both days)

      ELERHOSTEL
      March 17-22
      Details to be announced

      COMPASSION TRAINING
      Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche
      March 30-31
      Details to be announced.

      BECOMING YOUR OWN THERAPIST
      Ven Robina Courtin
      Friday-Sunday, April 5-7

      Venerable Robina Courtin doesn't mince her words. For her, the
      Buddha's teachings on the mind and how to get happiness are the
      way
      to go, and her very dynamic way of presenting the teachings—the
      fruit
      of over twenty years of sorting out her own pretty traumatic life—
      have shaken up and changed many lives.

      The award-winning documentary film of her life, Chasing Buddha, which
      includes scenes from her passionate work helping prisoners, even
      those on Death Row, has become a hit and she teaches to packed
      houses. It seems people can't get enough of her and her message:
      that
      happiness is right here and right now once you get down and dirty and
      sort out your own mind. Join us for what promises to be an energetic,
      tasty and meaningful weekend!

      Friday 15, 7 pm - Introductory Talk
      Saturday 16, 7 am-9 pm - Becoming Your Own Therapist
      Sunday 17, 7 am-4 pm - Becoming Your Own Therapist

      Ongoing regular weekly class…
      WISE AND COMPASSIONATE LIVING
      Ven Sarah, Resident Teacher, LMB

      "The workshop is the mind" for this ongoing series of talks
      on
      Buddhism. Ven Sarah's experiential way of presenting the
      teachings
      stimulates inward reflection and introduces new ways of viewing
      things that can quite literally revolutionise our lives. The goal is
      a deepening of wisdom and compassion, and along with that comes a
      relaxed, open heart, a peaceful mind and a more realistic view of
      ourselves and others…

      Join us every Tuesday evening at 7 pm

      Ven Sarah was appointed Resident Teacher at the Land of Medicine
      Buddha by Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche, July 2001. She is an English nun,
      ordained by His Holiness the Dalai Lama in 1986, who has studied with
      great Buddhist masters and taught in countries around the world.

      Suggested donation $10

      COME AND HAVE A QUIET GET-A-WAY IN OUR BEAUTIFUL ENVIRONMENT

      Daily rate for Bed & Breakfast:
      $60 - one person
      $75 - two people