Jangwa - MB Retreat - New Courses

  • Tenzin Tsomo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2010

      A Purification Ritual for the Deceased
      Oct 2, Saturday at 10 am
      (at the Wish Fulfiling Shrine - formerly called Memorial Shrine)

      This Jangwa ritual, based on the Medicine Buddha, is beneficial for those who were recently deceased, or who had passed away several years ago. The Medicine Buddha Puja will be performed before the Jang wa ritual.  English translation of the texts will be available.  Everyone is welcome to join us. Geshe Ngawang Dakpa, resident lama at Tse Chen Ling, our sister centre in San Francisco, will be performing the ritual.

      Medicine Buddha Retreat

      October 8 - 11, 2010

      Friday evening through Monday afternoon(Columbus Day weekend)
      Friday, Oct 8:     Check in from 4pm; Dinner at 6pm; Welcome and First session at 7pm
      Monday, Oct 11:  Ends at 12.30pm followed by lunch and clean up!

      Led by Venerable Drimay

      Performing the Medicine Buddha meditation-recitation is a powerful & quick way to bring success, not only in healing but also for our spiritual practice & other mundane activities. The ultimate benefit that they can bring us is enlightenment.

      Healing essentially comes from the mind, not from our body. Disease is caused by our self-cherishing, ignorance, anger, attachment and other delusions & by the negative actions motivated by these negative thoughts. Doing retreat helps us to work on our mental problems and delusions, and to develop realizations, and good qualities.  This structured retreat will ensure that you have some uninterrupted time for your meditation and a like-minded group of people to support your practice.

      For more information on Medicine Buddha click here.

      For retreat schedule and cost information click here.

      How to help the Sick and Dying
      "There are so many unbelievable circumstances for death; it can happen at any time, especially as more diseases such as cancer seem to be increasing. Some people are very happy at the time of death because of their good heart: they experience even death for the benefit of numberless suffering sentient beings, thinking that even at this time this is the best thing that they can do in their life. Other people are not so happy at the time of death, but are okay. Most people, however, are very unhappy at the time of death. Irrespective of the conditions, such as cancer and so forth, the state of your mind is the actual cause of happiness and suffering, even at the time of death." - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

      Friday, Oct 22 at 7pm
      Saturday, Oct 23 - 10am - 4pm
      Theory and Practice of Death and Dying
      with Jon Landaw

      Gaining familiarity with the death process now, in order to be able to die in a more relaxed manner when the time actually comes.

      Sunday, Oct 24, 10.30am
      with Venerable Drimay

      The all-important question of what prayers, mantras and other practices are useful for us to do for the dying and the deceased and what is to be done to the body will be discussed.

      Ultimate Healing
      by Venerable Drimay
      Oct 31, Nov 7 & Nov 14
      Sunday Mornings, 10.30am - 12noon

      This three-part series will draw on a collection of teachings by the Buddhist master Lama Zopa Rinpoche who refers to traditional Buddhist ideas and techniques to address health issues, such as:
      - the karmic origins of illness,
      - the healing power of the mind,
      - the healing power of compassion,
      - and using hardships such as illness as part of our spiritual path.

      The book,
      Ultimate Healing: The Power of Compassion, by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Wisdom Publications, is a useful supplement to this course (available in LMB Book & Gift Shop).

      Tenzin Tsomo
      Land of Medicine Buddha
      Spiritual Programme Coordinator
      5800 Prescott Road, Soquel, CA 95073