Re: [llama] Does anyone have any ideas...

  • Llamas4God
    Message 1 of 99 , Aug 6 3:31 PM
      just as a side note, Dr Anderson is at the University of Tennessee if anyone wants to contact him.

      Blessings,
      Karen Miller
      Llamas4God Ministry
      Bristol, VA

      Message 99 of 99 , Oct 9, 2013
        I'm afraid that Yosemite has become less llama friendly since then. I am pretty certain we are not allowed on that trail anymore. The equestrians have more money and speak louder than we do.

        They even balk at me doing llama day hikes in the Valley, in the winter, when the horses are out of the Valley stables. I haven't talked much with the new superintendent yet, but I don't have much hope he would change the rules to make the Park more llama friendly.

        Date: Monday, October 7, 2013, 10:17 AM

        When I hike on horse trails (where llamas tend to be relegated on federal park lands), about half of the horses start dancing and want to bolt.  The best riders will dismount and bring the horse over to see the llama (I always get well off the trail) to help desensitize it.
        Susan Gawarecki

        Horse reactions to my llamas have all been unique. One mare gave a glance and then went back to eating. Another mare wanted him right there! She thought he was cute, turned and "presented" with the rider still on her. A big, tough, stallion turned tail and ran. A mule went up a cliff One horse died on the spot. But I think that thing in the video would spook most llamas or horses.

        From: Susan Ravan <sdravan@...>
        First time my horse saw a llama she got a hand taller and her ears touched in the center. She stood stock
        still for about a minute, then bolted when the llama got up. She got about 4-5 strides before I got her stopped. Funny horse.