Mt. Hamilton Call for Volunteers

  • Kevin Winterfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2007
      If you can help out with the Mt. Ham Low-Key Hillclimb on
      Thanksgiving mornin', please send me a note. I'll be coordinating
      the climb and need the following tasks covered by volunteers:

      1) Registration - 3 volunteers are needed to register riders.
      2) Timing - 3 volunteers are needed to time the riders. It is best
      to have 1 person working the timer and recording times, with 2
      others assisting with rider number and finish order verification, as
      well as backup timer.

      Note that the climb starts earlier than the others in the series at
      9:30 a.m. with reg open from 8:30 - 9:20 a.m. and is on Thanksgiving
      day, Thursday, November 22.

      Send me a note directly if you can help support our fearless riders
      as they scale the mountain named after this man:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentine_Hamilton

      Maybe this year, as was done for Laurentine Hamilton in 1861, we
      will officially rename the mountain after the first male and female
      riders to reach the top... for example: Clark Martinez Mountain or
      Foy Biddick Mountain... You never know!

      - Kev
    • Judy Colwell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2007
        Hi Everyone...

        I'm the coordinator this next Saturday, and I'd sure love some help.
        Please let me know if you would like to participate. Or, wouldn't like to,
        but are plagued by guilt if you don't. :-)

        I think we need a minimum of 5 (besides me).

        Registration:
        Someone to manage the waivers & brand new riders
        Someone to handle cash
        Someone to check each returning rider in
        A floating helper (it could be pretty busy)

        Top o' the hill:
        Ideally 3 timer/recorders, with someone driving a vehicle
        to the top carrying food/drinks and riders' gear.

        We'll converge at the start at 8:45.

        Thanks!
        Judy
      • Dan Connelly
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
          With volunteers needed for the next two climbs, I figured I'd review how volunteers are handled in the scoring:

          * For the individual week results, volunteers are not included
          * For the overall individual results, if you volunteer at least once, one less score is counted for the overall, then the overall scaled appropriately. For example, if 5 scores count for most riders, if you've volunteered at least one week, 4 count, then the overall is multiplied by 125%. In effect, one of your volunteer weeks counts as the average of you other counting weeks (not the average of all of your weeks).
          * For the team overall score, all of of your volunteer weeks receive the average of your counting weeks.
          * For the "most improved", "year-to-year improvement", and endurance award scores, volunteer weeks don't count.

          For example, for scores of 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, with 3 volunteer weeks (9 weeks total), normally 5 would count, but instead 4 now count with a 125% correction factor, so the total score is 420 * 5/4 = 525. On the other hand, if those volunteer weeks were no-shows, 5 would count, and the score would be 500.

          Volunteers get two free entries, transferable either to someone else, or used on a climb next year.

          Dan
        • Kevin Winterfield
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
            If you tried to respond to me directly via this Yahoo! Group, your
            note went to an old account. I've updated my membership email.
            Please resend your email. (kmwinterfield@...)

            Thanks, KevW
            --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Winterfield" <kmwinterfield@...>
            wrote:

            > If you can help out with the Mt. Ham Low-Key Hillclimb on
            > Thanksgiving mornin', please send me a note. I'll be coordinating
            > the climb and need the following tasks covered by volunteers:
            >
            > 1) Registration - 3 volunteers are needed to register riders.
            > 2) Timing - 3 volunteers are needed to time the riders. It is
            best
            > to have 1 person working the timer and recording times, with 2
            > others assisting with rider number and finish order verification,
            as
            > well as backup timer.
            >
            > Note that the climb starts earlier than the others in the series
            at
            > 9:30 a.m. with reg open from 8:30 - 9:20 a.m. and is on
            Thanksgiving
            > day, Thursday, November 22.
            >
            > Send me a note directly if you can help support our fearless
            riders
            > as they scale the mountain named after this man:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentine_Hamilton
            >
            > Maybe this year, as was done for Laurentine Hamilton in 1861, we
            > will officially rename the mountain after the first male and
            female
            > riders to reach the top... for example: Clark Martinez Mountain or
            > Foy Biddick Mountain... You never know!
            >
            > - Kev

          • Kevin Winterfield
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2007
              Wouldn't it be nifty if we had 100 volunteers and 1 rider with
              ULTIMATE SUPPORT?

              Well, that probably won't happen - but, how about 3-6 volunteers
              stepping forward to assist on Turkey Day's 'Pick your seat for the
              Tour of California' Low-Key Hillclimb on THURSDAY ---> Yes,
              Thursday... (don't tell your legs just yet)...

              Right now I have zero volunteers which makes for an interesting
              event. So, c'mon out and help make the finale a day to remember...

              In the immortal words of Reverend Rufus J. Connelly (great
              grandfather of Dan Connelly and founder of these events in 1822)
              when placed in a similar situation (and imagine, that was before
              there was a road up Mt. Hamilton!): "Ask not what Low-Key can do for
              you, but what you can do for Low-Key."

              Lookin' forward to hearing from you all... well, 6 of you all.

              Kev, Low-Key Coordinator, Mt. Hamitup.

              wrote:

              > If you can help out with the Mt. Ham Low-Key Hillclimb on
              > Thanksgiving mornin', please send me a note. I'll be coordinating
              > the climb and need the following tasks covered by volunteers:
              >
              > 1) Registration - 3 volunteers are needed to register riders.
              > 2) Timing - 3 volunteers are needed to time the riders. It is
              best
              > to have 1 person working the timer and recording times, with 2
              > others assisting with rider number and finish order verification,
              as
              > well as backup timer.
              >
              > Note that the climb starts earlier than the others in the series
              at
              > 9:30 a.m. with reg open from 8:30 - 9:20 a.m. and is on
              Thanksgiving
              > day, Thursday, November 22.
              >
              > Send me a note directly if you can help support our fearless
              riders
              > as they scale the mountain named after this man:
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentine_Hamilton
              >
              > Maybe this year, as was done for Laurentine Hamilton in 1861, we
              > will officially rename the mountain after the first male and
              female
              > riders to reach the top... for example: Clark Martinez Mountain or
              > Foy Biddick Mountain... You never know!
              >
              > - Kev

            • David Kelly
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2007
                Hi kevin,

                I will volunteer. The only thing is I have a 6 month old now so I don't really want an important job like timing (I did that last year).  I can help with registration, chasing the riders as they cross the line to get their number or anything else you would like me to do.  I can also get photos. Anyway let me know what I can do.

                I hope that you are enjoying New York and it will be great to see you next week.

                Penny

                wrote:

                > If you can help out with the Mt. Ham Low-Key Hillclimb on
                > Thanksgiving mornin', please send me a note. I'll be coordinating
                > the climb and need the following tasks covered by volunteers:
                >
                > 1) Registration - 3 volunteers are needed to register riders.
                > 2) Timing - 3 volunteers are needed to time the riders. It is
                best
                > to have 1 person working the timer and recording times, with 2
                > others assisting with rider number and finish order verification,
                as
                > well as backup timer.
                >
                > Note that the climb starts earlier than the others in the series
                at
                > 9:30 a.m. with reg open from 8:30 - 9:20 a.m. and is on
                Thanksgiving
                > day, Thursday, November 22.
                >
                > Send me a note directly if you can help support our fearless
                riders
                > as they scale the mountain named after this man:
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurentine_Hamilton
                >
                > Maybe this year, as was done for Laurentine Hamilton in 1861, we
                > will officially rename the mountain after the first male and
                female
                > riders to reach the top... for example: Clark Martinez Mountain or
                > Foy Biddick Mountain... You never know!
                >
                > - Kev

              • Kevin Winterfield
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2007
                  Penny,
                  6 months old! Already! Hmm...Have you taught that child to read a
                  timer yet?

                  We should now be able to track the progress of the climbs each year
                  using BabyTime (Dan, can you come up with a formula for that? (pun
                  accidental, but left in intentionally)).

                  Thanks Penny! Reg and rider chaser! You got it.

                  -Kev

                  --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "David Kelly" <plhdpk@...> wrote:

                  > Hi kevin,
                  > I will volunteer. The only thing is I have a 6 month old now so I
                  don't
                  > really want an important job like timing (I did that last year).
                  I can help
                  > with registration, chasing the riders as they cross the line to
                  get their
                  > number or anything else you would like me to do. I can also get
                  photos.
                  > Anyway let me know what I can do.
                  >
                  > I hope that you are enjoying New York and it will be great to see
                  you next
                  > week.
                  >
                  > Penny
                  >
                  > On 11/17/07, Kevin Winterfield <kmwinterfield@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Wouldn't it be nifty if we had 100 volunteers and 1 rider with
                  > > ULTIMATE SUPPORT?
                  > >
                  > > Well, that probably won't happen - but, how about 3-6 volunteers
                  > > stepping forward to assist on Turkey Day's 'Pick your seat for
                  the
                  > > Tour of California' Low-Key Hillclimb on THURSDAY ---> Yes,
                  > > Thursday... (don't tell your legs just yet)...
                  > >
                  > > Right now I have zero volunteers which makes for an interesting
                  > > event. So, c'mon out and help make the finale a day to
                  remember...

                  > > In the immortal words of Reverend Rufus J. Connelly (great
                  > > grandfather of Dan Connelly and founder of these events in 1822)
                  > > when placed in a similar situation (and imagine, that was before
                  > > there was a road up Mt. Hamilton!): "Ask not what Low-Key can do
                  for
                  > > you, but what you can do for Low-Key."
                  > >
                  > > Lookin' forward to hearing from you all... well, 6 of you all.
                  > >
                  > > Kev, Low-Key Coordinator, Mt. Hamitup.
                  > >
                  > > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com <lkhc%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kevin
                  Winterfield"