Re: Low-Keys returning in October

  • Daniel Connelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2012
      Sorry for the delay -- for some reason mails from this list are getting junk-binned by my mail, it seems.... not good.

      Kennedy self-timed is definitely on.  If we fill the existing rides with coordinator spots (I have one coordinator volunteer already, and will be issuing a general appeal soon), and someone wants to take this week over 100%, then I'm open to replacing Diablo.  But I forsee no logistical issues with the experiment otherwise.

      Anyway, no entry fee for self-timed weeks.  We can still have volunteer credit for riders who assist in any way: just report that you helped out and volunteer credit will be provided.

      You provided valid concern about riders staging assistance along the climb.  We'll work on language that dis-allows this.  Basically riders should work together only if they start together, and of course there's no drafting off motor vehicles.  If people really want to cheat there's nothing I can do, but cheating in Low-Key Hillclimbs is bad karma and tends to result in flat tires, encounters with irate drivers, and constipation before endurance cycling events.

      Update is I've got the scoring code working with the new rules for overall rankings.  I've still got to update the category scoring.  The idea is to create a separate tandem division (encouraging tandem riders) while allowing riders to ride with different partners or to mix tandem and solo rides.  Riding tandem is similar to a volunteering for your solo score, and riding solo is similar to volunteering for your tandem score.  Volunteering, of course, applies to each.  Similarly riders could mix in hybrid-electric rides.  We could trivially do the same for running, although the focus here isn't on running events, and I think Gary likes being ranked with the cyclists anyway :).

      Dan