The Low-Key HillClimbs are back - starting Oct 14 - are you ready?

  • winterkm
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
      Here's the official low-key website: http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/

      We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any changes tot
      the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...

      You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories, pictures,
      videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the climbs.

      Enjoy.

      Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us get this
      off the ground.
    • orindabiker
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
        These look fun. I feel like I should know this, but....what's "OLH" and "Bohlman-On Orbit"?
        Will/can you post how long and how much elevation gain each of these climbs is? That
        would be helpful. Hope to see you out there.

        Matt

      • tahoe@murphstahoe.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
          Google "Lucas loves cycling"

          > These look fun. I feel like I should know this, but....what's "OLH" and "Bohlman-On Orbit"?
          > Will/can you post how long and how much elevation gain each of these climbs is? That
          > would be helpful. Hope to see you out there.
          >
          > Matt
          >
          > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "winterkm" <kmwinterfield@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Here's the official low-key website: http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/
          > >
          > > We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any changes tot
          > > the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...
          > >
          > > You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories, pictures,
          > > videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the climbs.
          > >
          > > Enjoy.
          > >
          > > Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us get this
          > > off the ground.
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Todd Manley
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
            OLH = Old La Honda

            OLH is a nice climb from Portola Valley/Woodside area up to Skyline Blvd.  From my last climb data I have it at 1,250 ft of climbing over 3.3 miles...it works out to a 7.2% grade.

            Bohlman is a beast!  If I measure from near the bottom of Bohlman, then to the top of On Orbit, I have 1,510 ft of climbing in 2.8 miles.  Average grade is 10.2%, with a couple of pitches up to 16~18% (or at least that's what it feels like.  FYI, it starts out of Saratoga.

            Here are some other good sources of local climb info:

            http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/resources/BA_Climbs.html

            On 10/4/06, orindabiker < mwsl@...> wrote:

            These look fun. I feel like I should know this, but....what's "OLH" and "Bohlman-On Orbit"?
            Will/can you post how long and how much elevation gain each of these climbs is? That
            would be helpful. Hope to see you out there.

            Matt

            --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "winterkm" <kmwinterfield@...> wrote:

            > Here's the official low-key website: http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/
            >
            > We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any changes tot
            > the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...
            >
            > You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories, pictures,
            > videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the climbs.
            >
            > Enjoy.
            >
            > Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us get this
            > off the ground.

          • winterkm
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2006
              Howdy Matt,
              Yes, we'll post all the details very soon. - Kev

              --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "orindabiker" <mwsl@...> wrote:

              > These look fun. I feel like I should know this,
              but....what's "OLH" and "Bohlman-On Orbit"?
              > Will/can you post how long and how much elevation gain each of
              these climbs is? That
              > would be helpful. Hope to see you out there.
              >
              > Matt
              >
              > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "winterkm" <kmwinterfield@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Here's the official low-key website:
              http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/

              > > We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any
              changes tot
              > > the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...
              > >
              > > You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories,
              pictures,
              > > videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the
              climbs.

              > > Enjoy.
              > >
              > > Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us
              get this
              > > off the ground.

            • Dave Kelly
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2006
                I think this site has some of the best descriptions of the climbs..

                http://cycling.stanford.edu/

                The description for Bohlman-On Orbit starts with:

                "Brutal, oppressive, brutal, painful, savage, arduous, killer, murderous, blood-and-guts,
                formidable, backbreaking, grinding, fatiguing, unsparing, harsh, merciless, intense,
                exhausting, austere and even slavish!"

                That's pretty accurate; maybe even a bit of an understatement.

                Dave

                --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "orindabiker" <mwsl@...> wrote:

                > These look fun. I feel like I should know this, but....what's "OLH" and "Bohlman-On
                Orbit"?
                > Will/can you post how long and how much elevation gain each of these climbs is? That
                > would be helpful. Hope to see you out there.
                >
                > Matt
                >
                > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "winterkm" <kmwinterfield@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Here's the official low-key website: http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/
                > >
                > > We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any changes tot
                > > the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...
                > >
                > > You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories, pictures,
                > > videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the climbs.
                > >
                > > Enjoy.
                > >
                > > Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us get this
                > > off the ground.

              • thomasclawrence
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Hey listen as long as we're going for blood and guts on this one, why
                  not make it

                  norton/kittridge/quickert/on-orbit/bohlman

                  Much harder than "just" bohlman/on-orbit/bohlman. This is one of those
                  scenic detours that's worth doing once just to say you did it. And hey
                  if you get to race it, all the better ;)

                  -Tom

                  --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kelly" <plhdpk@...> wrote:

                  > I think this site has some of the best descriptions of the climbs..
                  >
                  > http://cycling.stanford.edu/
                  >
                  > The description for Bohlman-On Orbit starts with:
                  >
                  > "Brutal, oppressive, brutal, painful, savage, arduous, killer,
                  murderous, blood-and-guts,
                  > formidable, backbreaking, grinding, fatiguing, unsparing, harsh,
                  merciless, intense,
                  > exhausting, austere and even slavish!"
                  >
                  > That's pretty accurate; maybe even a bit of an understatement.
                  >
                  > Dave
                • bcbuck
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                    I would second this recommendation, if it's possible logistically.
                    The roads are narrower than Bohlman, but MUCH less traffic.

                    --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "thomasclawrence" <tom.lawrence@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hey listen as long as we're going for blood and guts on this one,
                    why
                    > not make it
                    >
                    > norton/kittridge/quickert/on-orbit/bohlman
                    >
                    > Much harder than "just" bohlman/on-orbit/bohlman. This is one of
                    those
                    > scenic detours that's worth doing once just to say you did it. And
                    hey
                    > if you get to race it, all the better ;)
                    >
                    > -Tom
                    >

                    > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kelly" <plhdpk@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I think this site has some of the best descriptions of the
                    climbs..

                    > > http://cycling.stanford.edu/
                    > >
                    > > The description for Bohlman-On Orbit starts with:
                    > >
                    > > "Brutal, oppressive, brutal, painful, savage, arduous, killer,
                    > murderous, blood-and-guts,
                    > > formidable, backbreaking, grinding, fatiguing, unsparing, harsh,
                    > merciless, intense,
                    > > exhausting, austere and even slavish!"
                    > >
                    > > That's pretty accurate; maybe even a bit of an understatement.
                    > >
                    > > Dave

                  • winterkm
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                      We'll take a look this suggestion - thanks. You folks really want
                      to hurt, don't you... - Kev

                      wrote:

                      > Hey listen as long as we're going for blood and guts on this one,
                      why
                      > not make it
                      >
                      > norton/kittridge/quickert/on-orbit/bohlman
                      >
                      > Much harder than "just" bohlman/on-orbit/bohlman. This is one of
                      those
                      > scenic detours that's worth doing once just to say you did it. And
                      hey
                      > if you get to race it, all the better ;)
                      >
                      > -Tom
                      >

                      > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kelly" <plhdpk@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I think this site has some of the best descriptions of the
                      climbs..

                      > > http://cycling.stanford.edu/
                      > >
                      > > The description for Bohlman-On Orbit starts with:
                      > >
                      > > "Brutal, oppressive, brutal, painful, savage, arduous, killer,
                      > murderous, blood-and-guts,
                      > > formidable, backbreaking, grinding, fatiguing, unsparing, harsh,
                      > merciless, intense,
                      > > exhausting, austere and even slavish!"
                      > >
                      > > That's pretty accurate; maybe even a bit of an understatement.
                      > >
                      > > Dave

                    • Ingrid Erkman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                        Would it be worth adding a poll for this on the group list?  I suspect you would see the overwhelming response for norton/kittridge/quickert option. :)

                        href="http://cycling.stanford.edu/">http://cycling. stanford. edu/

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                          You got it... take the poll:

                          No guarantees we'll do it this time around - but we'll look into
                          it. One year we added a climb 'by request' to the end of the
                          series. This might be that type of climb... the 'I can't get enough
                          pain' add-on...

                          --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Erkman" <ingrid@...> wrote:

                          > Would it be worth adding a poll for this on the group list? I
                          suspect
                          > you would see the overwhelming response for
                          norton/kittridge/quickert
                          > option. :)
                          >
                          > _____

                        • Craig Swarthout
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                            --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "winterkm" <kmwinterfield@...> wrote:

                            > Here's the official low-key website:
                            http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/

                            > We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any changes
                            tot
                            > the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...
                            >
                            > You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories,
                            pictures,
                            > videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the
                            climbs.

                            > Enjoy.
                            >
                            > Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us get
                            this
                            > off the ground.

                            I have ridden some of these climbs and they are tough the others
                            sound interesting a friend sent me to this group. What is the
                            overall goal of the group? To have fun I hope, I did notice mention
                            of timing the climbs I generally consider getting to the the top as
                            goal enough! Is this more of a racing group? I am hoping the Low-Key
                            Hill Climbs says it all! I look forward to Oct 14th.
                          • winterkm
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
                              Craig, that's a great question.

                              The low-keys are just what you want them to be. We do time and keep
                              track of times and points, but by no means is that the main reason
                              for these climbs. They're for having fun, checking out the area
                              climbs, and meeting people.

                              A wide spectrum of folks climb this series - and you can create your
                              own team and category, or call yourself something like Mr. Slug - or
                              whatever you want.

                              I hear this year we'll even have a couple unicyclists... yes, it's
                              true...

                              For those new to Low-Keyin', the process is simple:

                              1) you show up at the start (we like to encourage people to ride to
                              the start to minimize congestion), register, sign the release, get
                              your special NUMBER STICKER that you place on your handlebars
                              (something people keep throughout the series, and the years...
                              anyone still have their sticker?) -

                              2) then depending on the climb, we either mass start the group, or
                              start you in small groups, or individually..

                              3) you climb to the top at your own pace - some fly up, others sit
                              and chat with friends and other riders

                              4) when you reach the top, you yell out your number (which is funny
                              to watch as some folks can barely speak), we record the time,

                              5) then you can eat our array of bananas, fruit drinks, etc and
                              socialize with the folks at the top.

                              6) About a day later, we place the times on the website along
                              with 'points earned' (ask Dan Connelly about the algorithm -
                              basically a % of the fastest time)... each week we do this and tally
                              the votes until the end when...

                              7) we have the final ceremonies for several categories we make up -
                              some standard ones, some unexpected.

                              It's pretty cool. And, as is tradition, all riders are invited to
                              the Low-Key HillClimbs Party at a location to be determined where we
                              share stories, watch video footage, and the like.

                              - Kev
                              --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Swarthout" <cswarth@...> wrote:

                              > --- In lkhc@yahoogroups.com, "winterkm" <kmwinterfield@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Here's the official low-key website:
                              > http://www.lowkey.djconnel.com/
                              > >
                              > > We'll use this group to provide up-to-minute status on any
                              changes
                              > tot
                              > > the climbs - like 'it's raining today, no climb'...
                              > >
                              > > You should use it to post your climb reports, share stories,
                              > pictures,
                              > > videos, suggestions for improvment - anything related to the
                              > climbs.
                              > >
                              > > Enjoy.
                              > >
                              > > Special thanks to Dan Connelly and Patt Baenen for helping us
                              get
                              > this
                              > > off the ground.
                              > >
                              > I have ridden some of these climbs and they are tough the others
                              > sound interesting a friend sent me to this group. What is the
                              > overall goal of the group? To have fun I hope, I did notice
                              mention
                              > of timing the climbs I generally consider getting to the the top
                              as
                              > goal enough! Is this more of a racing group? I am hoping the Low-
                              Key
                              > Hill Climbs says it all! I look forward to Oct 14th.

                            • Menestrina, Leo
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 9, 2006
                                Kev,

                                I'm checking with my wife about October 14th to see if I am available.  What do you think the drill will be?  Show up at 6:00, set up a table?  I have lots of numbers from past Pescadero races.  You can have them!  I can bring a table too!  Should we get together and talk about organization?

                                Leo