Re: [lkhc] mapmyride elevation data

  • Dan Connelly
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
      I just recalled (and the photo verifies, as does street view) that there's a "No Through Traffic" sign at the entrance to Alta Vista Way, which is the route to Camino Del Monte that Bill suggested. I'm not sure why. Maybe due to the narrowness of the roadway.

      Dan
    • Bill Bushnell
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
        On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Dan Connelly wrote:

        > I just recalled (and the photo verifies, as does street view) that
        > there's a "No Through Traffic" sign at the entrance to Alta Vista Way,
        > which is the route to Camino Del Monte that Bill suggested. I'm not
        > sure why. Maybe due to the narrowness of the roadway.

        Probably like the advisory sign that used to be at the top of OLH.

        I think the distance will be a little shorter on Alta Vista/Camino Del
        Monte. For a large group, it is probably better to stay on the wider main
        road. But the shorter distance raises the unpleasant possibility of
        cheating. If we have no one to monitor the upper or lower intersections,
        we'll need to rely on the honor system.

        Bill Bushnell
        http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
      • Dan Connelly
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
          Honor system sounds good to me :).

          In any case, with the size of our groups, riders are would generally be within sight of someone either at the bottom or top of the short-cut, unless way off the front or way off the back. And if off the front, the marshal at the turn-off to del Orinda would notice the rider hadn't passed.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
            Another thing I thought of...

            Although it is probably too late to obtain permits that would no doubt be
            required, it is possible to extend this climb to reach the highest point
            in the Berkeley/Oakland Hills.

            Just before Lomas Cantadas reaches Grizzly Peak Blvd., a paved road (that
            wasn't always smooth and clean the last time I rode it) goes right into
            Tilden Park, past the parking area for the steam trains and one gate, and
            climbs steeply (with one short downhill) to the summit of Vollmer Peak
            (1905ft). The final 0.1 mile to the summit is somewhere around 20% grade.

            The best view along this extension is not from the summit but from the
            section of trail on the northeast side of the peak.

            Bill Bushnell
            http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
          • Dan Connelly
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
              Bill Bushnell wrote:
              > Another thing I thought of...
              >
              > Although it is probably too late to obtain permits that would no doubt be
              > required, it is possible to extend this climb to reach the highest point
              > in the Berkeley/Oakland Hills.
              >
              > Just before Lomas Cantadas reaches Grizzly Peak Blvd., a paved road (that
              > wasn't always smooth and clean the last time I rode it) goes right into
              > Tilden Park, past the parking area for the steam trains and one gate, and
              > climbs steeply (with one short downhill) to the summit of Vollmer Peak
              > (1905ft). The final 0.1 mile to the summit is somewhere around 20% grade.
              >
              > The best view along this extension is not from the summit but from the
              > section of trail on the northeast side of the peak.
              >
              > Bill Bushnell
              > http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

              Patrick mentioned this! The issue, he said, is that one has to go around a gate to continue along that road, which he says is gravel for a portion. Here's a photo I found on-line:
              http://www.acme.com/jef/photos/d3909/d3909i0008.jpg

              This is an excellent post-ride option, though.
            • Bill Bushnell
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Dan Connelly wrote:

                > Bill Bushnell wrote:
                > > Another thing I thought of...
                > >
                > > Although it is probably too late to obtain permits that would no doubt be
                > > required, it is possible to extend this climb to reach the highest point
                > > in the Berkeley/Oakland Hills.
                > >
                > > Just before Lomas Cantadas reaches Grizzly Peak Blvd., a paved road (that
                > > wasn't always smooth and clean the last time I rode it) goes right into
                > > Tilden Park, past the parking area for the steam trains and one gate, and
                > > climbs steeply (with one short downhill) to the summit of Vollmer Peak
                > > (1905ft). The final 0.1 mile to the summit is somewhere around 20% grade.
                > >
                > > The best view along this extension is not from the summit but from the
                > > section of trail on the northeast side of the peak.
                > >
                > > Bill Bushnell
                > > http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
                > >

                > Patrick mentioned this! The issue, he said, is that one has to go
                > around a gate to continue along that road, which he says is gravel for a
                > portion. Here's a photo I found on-line:
                > http://www.acme.com/jef/photos/d3909/d3909i0008.jpg
                >
                > This is an excellent post-ride option, though.

                That photo is not of the section I mentioned. The last time I rode it
                (ca. 2001/2002) the road was completely paved, although it was broken and
                covered with duff at the bottom of the short dip where the trail to the
                peak veered left off the main trail (Seaview Trail) that went right and
                down and was a dirt road from that point onward. The pavement was also
                broken where the grade was steepest near the summit, which made that part
                all the more challenging.

                Try:
                http://www.geocities.com/soaringbythebay/vollmer.htm

                These show photos of the approach and of the road starting from the steam
                trains up to the east side of the peak but don't show the final 0.3 mile
                to the summit.

                Bill Bushnell
                http://pobox.com/~bushnell/