Sushi Night

  • lizardhead_igloo-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012
      We are planning Sushi Night at the Lizard Head Igloo for December 7th. We are providing all the base ingredients to make the sushi: prepared sushi rice, yaki nori, ginger, sesame seeds, wasabi, soy, rolling mats, knifes and washing bowls.

      Individuals should bring their own small bowl for dipping, a plate, a mug for tea or soup, chopsticks and a drinking glass. Everyone should bring at least one ingredient to roll into the sushi and/or something to complement the dinner, such as a thermos of green tea, sake, plum wine, or Japanese beer. One could also bring prepared edamame, a Japanese soup or salad. If you do not have time to prep or shop or might be late please join us anyway, there is always enough food and cheer for everyone.

      If you feel inspired bring something unique. For more sushi information check out YouTube, there you will find numerous sushi recipes, lessons and ideas. In the links section of the group site you will find some links to online stores for ingredients and recipes.

      Anyone is welcome to make sushi at the igloo. There are some simple courtesies to follow while you are a sushi chef. Clean your hands before starting prep. Once your hands are clean and while you are preparing food do not touch anything except the fresh food and cooking utensils. If you pick up your drinking glass or touch your face, stop and clean your hands. If you touch platters, trays or bowls that have been passed around, stop and clean your hands. Please do not eat or drink while you are taking your turn as chef. When your turn as chef is finished wash the knifes and mats. We should all help the chefs follow clean procedures.

      You might also consider bringing a mat to sit on and an old blanket to cover your legs that will not mind some soy drippings.

      Some of us will prepare ingredients ahead at Don's house. If you want to join prep at Don's please meet at the Valley Floor Parking area on the highway near the Conoco at 4:30 pm for car pooling. For others arriving later and that want to car pool, meet at the same parking area at 5:30 pm.

      Have a light lunch and arrive hungry. Last year we had an amazing sushi feast that lasted late into the evening.