Laundry Near Yokohama Station?

  • Eric (NJ)
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
      I am an American who will be staying at a hotel by Yokohama Sta. for 9
      days later this month for a business trip. I have been to that hotel
      & area several times before. But I speak nor read any Japanese --
      only English.

      Can anyone tell me if there is a laudramat near Yokohama Sta. that I
      could use to wash my clothes?

      Thanks!
      Eric
    • Stuart Woodward
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
        On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 02:00:08 -0000
        "Eric (NJ)" <ericthered732@...> wrote:

        > I am an American who will be staying at a hotel by Yokohama Sta. for 9
        > days later this month for a business trip. I have been to that hotel
        > & area several times before. But I speak nor read any Japanese --
        > only English.
        >
        > Can anyone tell me if there is a laudramat near Yokohama Sta. that I
        > could use to wash my clothes?

        If you are on an all expenses paid business trip I suggest that you just
        use the hotel laundry service.

        If you really need to find a "laudramat" then the Japanese word that you
        need to know is "coin laundry". All Japanese people will understand this.

        If you ask at the front desk at the Hotel they might know, but the area
        around Yokohama station is pretty built up so I can't think of where
        there would be one.

        "Coin laundries" tend to be found in areas with cheap housing as most
        people have their own washing machine (even if it is out on the verenda)
        so you may have walk quite a distance from the station or take the train
        one stop in any direction to find one.
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2003
          Live Improv, Stand Up and Sketch Comedy!

          Once a month at Bar Why Not? Motomachi (near GAP)

          Opening Night 8pm October 16th

          Yokohama's one and only Improv team - Improhama

          ALSO the handsome Stand Up Comic Tim Evans - (a)live
          on stage

          Voted as one of the ten sexiest men in Malaysia by the
          magazine, Marie Claire (absolutely true - or so the
          story goes)

          1,000yen (includes one drink)

          Interested in improv or want to be on Yokohama Theatre
          Group's Mailing list. Then send an e-mail to
          improv@...

          or let me know

          Yokohama Theatre Group (YTG) is a dynamic group of
          individuals who produce English speaking theatre in
          the Kanagawa area. YTG is made up of ex-pats and
          Japanese who love producing theatre. We try to channel
          some of our profit back into community, the rest goes
          to producing performances.

          We hope you can support us, so we can support you. We
          are also available for inservice and workshops.

          (For those who don't know - Improv or improvisation
          is comedy theatre games played live and impromptu)

          Cheers

          Shane Meiklejohn

          =====
          Thanks a bunch

          Shane Meiklejohn

          engeki_man@...
          engeki_man@...

          cellular: 09029082023

          Contact me via webcam/instant message (im) on
          ICQ: 251668255
          MSN Messenger: engeki_guy
          Yahoo Messenger: engeki_man
          AIM Messenger: engeki_guy
          Mac iChat: engeki_man
        • julesandjamesinjapan
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
            --- In liy@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Woodward <stuart@g...> wrote:

            > If you really need to find a "laudramat" then the Japanese word that
            you
            > need to know is "coin laundry". All Japanese people will understand
            this.

            So long as you don't make the mistake of pronouncing 'laundry'
            anything like the standard english way, which (in our limited
            experience, ie once at a campsite) may be met with blank
            incomprehension. 'Randori' is what you want!

            James
          • Eric (NJ)
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 11, 2003
              Yokorelo, thank you for the good information on coin laundries near
              Yokohama Sta (msg # 1554). You mentioned a very good fact: The coin
              laundry may not have dryers (drying machine). For me, a dryer is an
              absolute must! I cannot hang my clothes to dry in my hotel room.

              Your suggestion for me to visit a dry cleaning store is very good. I
              wish I knew where such a store was in Totuska-ku. When I come to
              Japan, I stay in a hotel by Yokohama Sta. but I go to Totsuka Sta.
              each morning for work. However, I speak no Japanese. I doubt that
              the workers at a dry cleaning store would be able to speak English.

              So I must good my laundry to my hotel. 1,000 JPY for each pair of
              casual dress pants or blue jeans!!!!!!!