Answer: Chapter 54

  • terri26417
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 10:05 AM
      Hi Anne,

      Just finished chapter 54, and you asked a question about us/I/we buying your original stories. I hope you've noticed that I have bought both of your original stories and just waiting until I get a job again so that I can buy the anthology that you contributed to.

      Of all the Harry Potter fanfiction that I've read over the years, you are one of two that I have bought. Yours have been mainly print until I got into ebooks; and the only reason I got into ebooks was because I don't have room anymore to store all my books. There are quite a few fanfic authors that I would love to buy from; Abraxan and Rosswrock. Abraxan has one book out and one coming soon, but both are print books not ebooks; and Rosswrock hasn't updated his fic in years so I don't know if he will be releasing his own stories.

      Would I buy your original stories? YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!
      I would!!

      Hope this works out for you, but just a cautious request. I'm looking for a job right now; don't leave your job until you feel comfortable in the money that you make. Please don't jump out of the workforce until YOU know that you are making a decent amount that will make your life good, not okay.
    • Anne Walsh
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 7:39 PM
        Yes, well... the whole making money thing is kind of the problem.

        Writing, especially writing an original story, requires time, and it requires energy. So does having a full-time job, all the more because I'm strongly introverted and find it stressful to be among people for long periods.

        Just from a time perspective, I spend sixteen to eighteen hours awake every day. On weekdays, ten hours of that is spent at work or traveling to and from work. That leaves six to eight hours to try to decompress, keep the apartment clean, love the cats, make and eat food... you get the idea. There isn't a whole lot of time left over for writing.

        Similarly, keeping myself polite and cheerful, the way my job calls for, for that ten hours every day is very draining to me. By the time I get home from work, I don't want to do anything except sit down in my chair and let my brain turn off. Trying to get up the energy to do even fanfiction writing feels impossible, and originals are harder than fanfic.

        So when you're asking me not to leave the workforce until I'm making a "decent amount" from writing, it sounds very hard, because at this point I don't think I can make anything at all from writing unless I leave my job first. I do have money saved that will last me a while, and I might be able to find other work that would fill in the cracks and still leave me time to write. I just don't know.

        Thanks for reading and for the advice, as hard as it is to listen to!