Profile Help

  • Arianna
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm working on my final assignment for my communications class and I need a
      little help. What I'm doing is writing a profile on Anne. It basically
      consists of a in-depth interview with her, and then I find some sort of bigger
      issue to report on. I'm writing about reading online and writing and publishing
      online and its growing popularity over the years. I was wondering if a couple
      of you could answer some questions. You can pick to answer one or all of them,
      your choice.

      1. Do you just read fanfiction online, or do you read original works too?

      2. What are the advantages to reading online, in your opinion? What are the
      disadvantages?

      3. How is reading online different from reading from a book?

      4. Do you own a Kindle, eReader, Nook, etc? Why? What are its advantages?
      Disadvantages?

      5. Do you think ereading is the future, or do you think print books will stand
      the test of time?

      6. What is it about Anne's work that made you like it so much?

      7. Would you read Anne's original novel when it comes out?

      8. (if your are a writer) Do you write a blog or post your own original work
      online? Why? What sort of results or responses have you gotten?

      Thanks so much for any help you can give!

      Alexia
    • Melissa Wootton
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2011
        Yea for journalism!!! I'll be taking it in spring '12. (At least that is what I am assuming you are taking.... lol)

        1. Do you just read fanfiction online, or do you read original works too?
        I tend to read works from my literature classes online. Other than that and fanfiction, I do not read much online. I much prefer a book in my hands.

        2. What are the advantages to reading online, in your opinion? What are the
        disadvantages?
        The advantages I see for online reading are the instant access to books. As soon as you want it, you have it. You can also adjust the font size of the text. However, I hate not having the actual book in my hands. I can't take notes in it, or easily mark passages. I also need internet access and to recharge the device fairly often.

        3. How is reading online different from reading from a book?

        4. Do you own a Kindle, eReader, Nook, etc? Why? What are its advantages?
        Disadvantages?

        5. Do you think ereading is the future, or do you think print books will stand
        the test of time?
        While many will use the ereaders, I truly believe that print books will stand the test of time!

        6. What is it about Anne's work that made you like it so much?
        Anne's work is so very real. It just speaks to me as a person. It is so easy to picture myself in the scenes and situations.

        7. Would you read Anne's original novel when it comes out?
        I want to. I can't wait til I have the extra cash to get her novel!

        8. (if your are a writer) Do you write a blog or post your own original work
        online? Why? What sort of results or responses have you gotten?
        I do write bits and bobs, but nothing I am willing to really share. I also don't really post to a blog. I do a lot of things online, but don't really do that.
        Melissa

        "We pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody. Beautiful, the mess we are, honest cries of breaking hearts are better than a Hallelujah sometimes." Amy Grant

      • Warlocke@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2011
          1. Do you just read fanfiction online, or do you read original works too?

          Funny, I thought the stories on fanfiction were original!

          2. What are the advantages to reading online, in your opinion? What are the disadvantages?

          I am a stroke survivor.  I lost the use of my right arm/hand.  Reading online is easier.  I keep loosing my place in a book trying to turn the pages one handed!

          3. How is reading online different from reading from a book?

          See #2!

          4. Do you own a Kindle, eReader, Nook, etc? Why? What are its advantages?  Disadvantages?

          I have an eReader and I love it.  I carry it with me when I know I have to sit & wait somewhere.  Makes waiting easier.

          5. Do you think ereading is the future, or do you think print books will stand the test of time?

          I am sure there are some who will prefer dead tree pages for a long time.  But, I expect with time, ereading will become the "thing".  And I am sure that even cell phones will be used as they seem to be headed into becoming more like tiny computers.  However, I do not want one!

          JimS

        • Tito Broz
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2011
            Hi!
            It's so nice to see some activity here, thank you!
            You can include in your results the opportunity of having an international audience, that new authors rarely have when publishing printed versions of their works... Take me for example, from Bosnia, reading the works of an American girl about a British wizard

            1. Do you just read fanfiction online, or do you read original works too?

            I'm not sure what are you asking here.... Do I read the original work on which the fanfiction is based, or do I read "real" books at all? But in every case the answer is yes.

            2. What are the advantages to reading online, in your opinion? What are the
            disadvantages?
            Advantages: it's easily available, I don't have to pay for it
            Disadventages: I really prefer having a book in my hands,  I'm not a big fan of on-line reading; basicaly I read only Anna's stories on-line.  So, need for an internet access, not so confortable position while reading, and it's lacking that beautiful scent of a new book that I adore (how Hermionish is that! heheh)

            3. How is reading online different from reading from a book?

            It's a strain on your eyes  But that gets compensated by instant access to almost any book you need in a particular moment.

            4. Do you own a Kindle, eReader, Nook, etc? Why? What are its advantages?
            Disadvantages?

            I don't own it.

            5. Do you think ereading is the future, or do you think print books will stand
            the test of time?

            I hope that they will. The books are our greatest treasure.

            6. What is it about Anne's work that made you like it so much?

            I'm still wondering about that . It's her writing style, so natural and believable... I think that one day she may become an appreciated author... She has a potential. She just needs to be discovered.

            7. Would you read Anne's original novel when it comes out?

            Yes, if I could put my hands on it...

            8. (if you are a writer) Do you write a blog or post your own original work
            online? Why? What sort of results or responses have you gotten?

            I'm just a reader, sorry .

            Good luck with your work!

            Kisses from far away,

            Aida

          • likesblackcats
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2011
              1. Do you just read fanfiction online, or do you read original works too?

              I read a lot of stuff online - including journal articles, book reviews, yadda yadda. But if we're just referring to *fiction*... I read a lot of fanfiction online, and also read original stories on the odd occasion. The latter situation arises when the books are a) always issued from the library, or b) not part of the library collection at all. And, of course, not good enough from the tiny snippets they give you on Amazon for me to fall head over heels in love with them - ergo, not overwhelmingly fantastic enough for me to buy without reading first.

              2. What are the advantages to reading online, in your opinion? What are the disadvantages?

              Advantages: Well, in terms of fanfiction, you can actually read it at all. You can figure out whether you want to buy a book - always assuming you can FIND it online; many books I like are really difficult to find anywhere.

              Disadvantages: You can't read online in bed with the cat kneading your stomach and rubbing against the book. (My cat is lovely.) Plus there's just something about a good, solid book. I have been known to *hug* my favourite books, though, so that last point may be just me...

              3. How is reading online different from reading from a book?

              You can read a book anywhere (within reason). Try reading from a home computer when you happen to be on the bus. Plus we have one computer at home, so when someone else is on it I can't be. But nobody stops me picking up a book. There's enough books in this house that there'd have to be an influx of the entire population of Haiti in order for nobody to have a book to read... and by then we'd all have more important things to worry about anyway. :-)

              4. Do you own a Kindle, eReader, Nook, etc? Why? What are its advantages? Disadvantages?

              No, I don't. I don't see the point of shelling out money for an electronic device and then shelling out more money in order to pay to input books that are already sitting on my bookshelf.

              5. Do you think ereading is the future, or do you think print books will stand the test of time?

              Print books will stand the test of time. As I say, there's just something about a good, solid book.

              6. What is it about Anne's work that made you like it so much?

              The humour. I read Anne's work when I don't want to read anything serious.

              7. Would you read Anne's original novel when it comes out?

              I don't know what it's about; I seem to have missed the memo. I probably wouldn't buy it, though - library all the way. For the reason I stated in #1: I try to always read before I buy. Unless, of course, there's a book sale on. Then I go mad.

              8. (if you are a writer) Do you write a blog or post your own original work online? Why? What sort of results or responses have you gotten?

              I've only ever posted fanfiction - one story. The responses I got were mostly along the lines of people laughing their heads off. (The intent *was* to make people laugh, so I was thrilled that it worked...)
            • Warlocke@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2011
                3. How is reading online different from reading from a book?
                4. Do you own a Kindle, eReader, Nook, etc? Why? What are its advantages? Disadvantages?

                I had to give up reading books.  I managed to shock my doctor 17 years ago by having a major stroke and surviving it.  But, I lost the use of my right arm/hand.  That makes it extremely hard to handle a book.  I keep loosing my place trying to turn the pages!
                I do most of my reading at home with my laptop.  But, I do have an eReader I carry with me when I am away from home and know I will have to wait, like the doctor's office, etc.  I have found and keep on finding enough free books to read on the internet.  I have yet to pay for a book!
                I am looking at getting an iPad 2 to read with.  They are lighter than a notebook!

                JimS