Inviting philosophers to participate in Seekers, ADOPT, etc.

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
      Hi Bob and all,

      Bob Lichtenbert gave me some work ($150 in all) to set up a website (a
      wiki) for projects he leads such as Seekers, ADOPT, Urgent Supper Club,
      Meaning in the Arts, see:
      http://www.seekerofmeaning.com

      The advantage of a wiki is (like with Wikipedia) that you can edit your
      own pages (and so can others, too, if they enter the password, currently:
      000000).

      Bob, I see that you're editing your pages (great!) and I note that
      tomorrow you have a meeting of the Urgent Supper Club, "6:30 p. m. at
      Marcello's Pizzeria, 645 W. North Ave. in Chicago. On Wed., July 11, we
      have voted to talk about courage."

      Bob wanted to reach out to include more practicing philosophers. I've put
      up some links on the page:
      http://www.seekerofmeaning.com/Seekers/Chicago
      I found a list of colleges and universities in the Chicago metropolitan area:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Universities_and_colleges_in_Chicago,_Illinois
      so it's possible to build our own list of links to philosophy departments
      (especially, their faculty) in the local area. We're all welcome to help
      build that list.

      I started with some of the obvious universities, but I imagine there may
      be interest by, for example, adjunct professors in schools where there are
      only one or two philosophers.

      One form of "marketing" is to simply identify such people and write an
      email to them, and then to follow up with a call. I think it helps to
      consider from their point of view, "what's in it for them?"

      For example, if they might get to choose a topic, or present their work to
      the Seekers, then they might be much more interested. I was certainly
      glad to do so last year.

      I note that Peter Pero is doing well with his new wiki at
      http://www.chicagohistorystreet.com As we learn to use wikis, we can help
      each other on our projects. Wikis can grow in value over time as they
      accumulate meaningful content.

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      ms@...
      (773) 306-3807
      http://www.selflearners.net
    • peter pero
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2012
        Andrius
        you truly have an Open Source attitude about sharing tech.

        thanks
        peter

        Peter N. Pero
        office  (312) 243-0394
        home  (773) 972-2057

        my new website is
        http://www.ChicagoHistoryStreet.com

        To: livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 13, 2012
          Andrius you truly have an Open Source attitude about sharing tech.
          thankspeter, Peter N. Pero
          http://www.ChicagoHistoryStreet.com
          -----------

          Peter, thank you! I share with us all my correspondence with Bob
          Lichtenbert of the Seekers http://www.seekerofmeaning.com

          Bob, there's a lot that we can do over the phone through your
          wiki/website. I'm wondering, do you know how to use Skype?

          You want to attract more participants. There are two extremes in
          marketing, I think. One is to reach the largest possible audience (do a
          Super Bowl commercial!) The other is to target individuals.

          Can you describe the "perfect individual" you'd like to attract for the
          Seekers, ADOPT, etc.? It might be an adjunct philosophy professor, or an
          isolated philosophy professor, somebody who loves philosophy and wants to
          do something with, not simply write journal articles.

          And then consider, what can you offer them? that is, more than what you
          offer to a casual participant. For example, you might provide them an
          opportunity to share their research, either through a Seeker's meeting, or
          your website, or your journal. Or you might bring the Seekers to their
          university for a talk they give, etc. That might yield participants who
          grow in loyalty and supportiveness.

          Here's an example of the kind of person out there: J.P. Rosensweig,
          founder of the Philosophy Institute
          http://www.thephilosophyinstitute.org/founder.html who taught a course on
          Meaning in Life! http://www.thephilosophyinstitute.org/currentcourses.htm

          There are also groups such as Neighborhood Writing Alliance, publishers of
          the Journal of Ordinary Thought
          http://www.jot.org/journal_of_ordinary_thought.php , reflections people
          make on their personal histories and ordinary experiences. Their blog is:
          Every Person is a Philosopher. http://www.jot.org/blog/

          Bob, you have solid activity with your monthly Seekers meetings. There
          are other groups who would I think cherish working with you!

          Andrius

          Andrius Kulikauskas
          ms@...
          (̉773) 306-3807
          http://www.selflearners.net

          ------------------

          Good morning Andrius,

          Thank you for trying to promote my activities to your
          livingbytruth group. I appreciate it.

          I am sorry about my disagreement with you last time
          that you were at my place, but I was feeling rather
          frustrated at the time.

          Do you think that we can do work together for ADOPT
          and me over the phone?

          I appreciate VERY much your MOST thoughtful inclusion of
          possible contacts with local philosophers. I will be sure
          to try it yet still again because it is a different
          approach that I was not open to when you were here last
          time. I am very sorry for this. We desperately need
          some way to save ADOPT!

          Bob

          ----------------

          Hi Bob,

          Yes, there's a lot that we can do over the phone. That's why the wiki is
          helpful, especially as you learn how to use it.

          May I share your letter below through Living by Truth? Then I would
          respond there and others might get interested.

          Andrius

          Good morning again Andrius,

          Very good about working over the phone together! I will
          contact
          you next week about the first of these sessions.

          Sure, you can send my last e-mail with your group e-mail
          if you
          want to.

          Bob