Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards & Self-Learners

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
      Pamela McLean, I liked very much your letter about Dadamac Learners
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/message/3147

      I've made progress thinking through what I want to do with myself, how
      I might make a living, and how does that relate to the Minciu Sodas of
      1998 to 2010. I'm shifting my outlook from "independent thinkers" to
      "self-learners" which I suppose may be very much related to what
      you're doing.

      I want to foster a culture of self-learners and a Self-Learners
      Network http://www.selflearners.net I want to share hundreds of ways
      of "figuring things out", especially as games. Some of these I hope
      to make a living from, especially as projects through
      http://www.kickstarter.com

      Today I submitted my first project, which is to publish Face-the-Facts
      Phonics Flash Cards http://www.face-the-facts.com which I created in
      1995. I share my proposal. I want to raise at least $900 in 30 days.

      I appreciate our thoughts, who might I reach out that might like these
      flash cards?

      Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@..., http://www.gospelmath.com, +1 (773) 306-3807

      --------------------------------
      What would you like to create?
      --------------------------------

      In 1994, I tutored a second grader who was smart, but hadn't yet
      learned how to read single-syllable words. I created a system of
      phonics flash cards for him to teach himself. There are 55 beginning
      sounds (b, bl, br...) and 500+ ending sounds (ill, it, ip, ...). Each
      week I introduced one of the 16 vowel sounds. At home, he'd practice
      melding beginning and ending sounds. His father would reward him if
      he read the cards fast enough. I also created games for him to play.
      I want to brand these cards as Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards,
      design them so they look nice, create and test at least 8 fun games
      with them, write a booklet and videos which explain how to learn and
      play with them, and make it all available in the Public Domain.

      ------------------------------
      What rewards would you offer? People love limited editions,
      one-of-a-kinds, and fun experiences (parties, screenings, balloon
      rides!). What you offer and how you price it is completely up to you
      ------------------------------

      For contributions up to $30, I would offer rewards such as: an
      electronic PDF of the cards (about 25 pages) and booklet; the cards
      printed out with an inkjet printer on card stock; the booklet printed
      out; small or large poster of the card system; a phonics party in
      Chicago at the Ghetto Gallery; an online party by Skype; a weekly
      newsletter with progress reports, games and puzzles.

      For contributions from $30 to $300, I would offer: custom versions of
      the cards with pictures or portraits that I draw (I'm an artist);
      tutoring by video Skype or in person; a series of Skype conference
      calls; an email group with games and tips; appearances in our videos.

      For contributions above $300, I would offer: a presentation at a
      school; materials for a class of 30; an online version of a game; a
      special edition of the booklet; a custom game; a custom video for them
      with St.Benedict the African's gospel choir (where I sing); work with
      children in inner city Chicago, Uganda or elsewhere.

      Where can we find out more about you and your project?

      The current version of the cards (which I made in 1995 with a
      Macintosh) are available for download at http://www.face-the-facts.com
      You'll also find there a 10 minute video that Sasha Mrkailo and I
      made with his children in Serbia where we show how to use the cards.
      More than 2000 people saw the video and we received some encouraging
      comments.

      I'm currently active online at: http://www.gospelmath.com From 1998
      to 2010, I organized the Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt,
      including Worknets http://www.worknets.org and Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net I'm currently starting Self-Learners
      Network http://www.selflearners.net The Minciu Sodas sites aren't
      what they once were, so here's my resume:
      http://www.gospelmath.com/upload/andriuskulikauskasresume.doc
    • adubois70@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2011
        Good morning,

        Glag to hear that you're making some progress. Did you present this to the Malcolm X College rep. you spoke to? May be of use to their adult lit. Program. May also be a great tool for people trying to learn Eng. as a 2nd language.

        From: ms@...
        Sender: livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 02:26:40 -0500
        To: <livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com
        Cc: <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [livingbytruth] Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards & Self-Learners

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2011
          Good morning,

          Glag to hear that you're making some progress. Did you present this to
          the Malcolm X College rep. you spoke to? May be of use to their adult
          lit. Program. May also be a great tool for people trying to learn Eng.
          as a 2nd language.

          ----------

          Andrew DuBois,

          Thank you for your encouragement. I spoke yesterday with Stan Beamon
          of Human Resources. He said that the Dean will call me soon.

          Meanwhile, I'm setting up http://www.selflearners.net I wrote about
          my life and I'll share that here. Next, I'm writing up my vision.

          This afternoon I'm meeting up with Madina of the Ghetto Gallery, near
          Wentworth and 95th, who I also met at Kwanzaa. We're going to visit
          David Ellison-Bey of the Moorish Cultural Workshop at his home in
          Englewood. David is an outstanding self-learner and independent
          thinkers. Some day his Workshop might be a spot on Madina's Ghetto
          Tours.

          P.S. Your next letter should go straight through to our group. I hold
          the first letter to make sure that you're human and keep out the spam.

          Andrius

          Andrius Kulikauskas
          http://www.selflearners.net
          http://www.gospelmath.com
          ms@...
          +1 (773) 306-3807
        • ms@ms.lt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2011
            Edward, Thank you for alerting me to Words in Color.

            Unfortunately, I got a negative reply from Kickstarter.com, which I
            include below. They won't let me raise money for the Face-the-Facts
            Phonics Flash Cards project through their site. I don't really know
            why they didn't think my project would be a good fit. I'm very
            discouraged because I was hoping this small project might succeed and
            lead to more ambitious projects.

            There are some other similar crowdsourcing sites:
            http://www.rockethub.com, http://invested.in,
            http://www.indiegogo.com, but Kickstarter seemed the most prominent.

            I'm reevaluating what to do, what to try.

            Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.selflearners.net,
            http://www.gospelmath.com, ms@..., +1 (773) 306-3807

            ----------------------

            Quoting Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...>:
            > You might want to have a look at Caleb Gattegno's Words in Color
            > literacy and foreign language teaching program, as described in The
            > Silent Way. Here, for example, is a link to his color-coded charts for
            > English-language spelling.
            >
            > http://thesolutions-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_25&a=1&products_id=84&osCsid=5df17dd0cbd35990cf05d7de8cc5e02e
            >
            > Click to see larger chart images.
            >
            > I have just started a discussion with them over making these materials
            > part of the OLPC/Sugar/ccLearn ecology, in the 40 or so languages they
            > are working on.

            -----------------

            Michael McGregor commented on your Kickstarter submission:

            Hi Andrius,

            Thank you for taking the time to share your idea. Unfortunately, this
            isn't the right fit for Kickstarter. We receive many project proposals
            daily and review them all with great care and appreciation. We see a
            wide variety of inspiring ideas, and while we value each one's
            uniqueness and creativity, Kickstarter is not the right platform for
            all of them. We wish you the best of luck as you continue to pursue
            your endeavor.

            Best,

            Mike

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 13, 2011
              I received a reply from http://www.Kickstarter.com and so I wrote
              back. I share our letters. Andrius

              ----------------------------

              Hi Andrius,

              Thanks for following up. As you know, Kickstarter is an entirely new
              form of commerce that's completely devoted to creativity. When people
              traditionally think fundraising they think of charities and causes,
              but Kickstarter allows neither of these things. We're building
              something very different that's focused on people pursuing creative
              passions and having fun doing it! Look around the site and you'll see
              what I mean.

              Thanks again for reaching out.

              Best,
              Mike

              ----------------------------

              Hi Michael,

              Thank you for replying. I appreciate that.

              I'm very glad for the Kickstarter model and I'm hoping to participate.
              I know that I'm creative. I ask for your help so I might present my
              projects so they make sense at Kickstarter.

              My real passion is to bring to life a culture of self-learners. It's a
              challenge to start a culture, but there are examples, such as
              Scouting, founded by Lord Baden-Powell, or Alcoholics Anonymous,
              founded by Bob and Bill. I've laid a good foundation with my own quest
              to know everything, which I fulfilled with my film "I Wish to Know",
              and my online laboratory, Minciu Sodas, 1998-2010, for serving and
              organizing independent thinkers around the world. See:
              http://www.selflearners.net

              I'm defining this culture by sharing "ways of figuring things out".
              I've collected more than 200 that I've used in my own life. I know
              that there are hundreds more that others have used. I am trying to
              present such ways through the creative arts, especially as games for
              self-learners.

              For example, I created a Christmas card "Do You Recognize Jesus?" made
              of 70 oil pastel portraits that I drew last year.
              http://www.gospelmath.com/upload/DoYouRecognizeJesusNew.png
              It gets across the idea that God might speak to us through anybody.
              This helps us listen with a fresh mind and thus is one way of figuring
              things out. It's also a project that funded itself. I did it as a
              fundraiser for my choir at St. Benedict the African. 14 people paid
              $25 each for me to draw their portraits and include them in the card.
              They got 10 copies of the card. The choir and I split the money we
              earned.

              Another example is a question I ask, "Do you have a deepest value in
              life which includes all of your other values?" I have collected more
              than 500 different answers from people. Recently, at a Kwanzaa
              festival, I worked with people to draw them in terms of their values,
              as if they were superheroes:
              http://www.gospelmath.com/Gospel/ValuesSuperHeroes
              and ultimately, such portraits could be published and collected as game cards.

              I thought that Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards
              http://www.face-the-facts.com would be a good first project to fund
              through Kickstarter. It is a system of cards by which children can see
              the facts of English and make up their own rules. They teach
              themselves how to read by playing various fun games. I have already
              developed the cards and have helped several children learn to read
              with a few games. I need to invent and test a few more games so they
              are fun and effective, write up a booklet of how to play them, and
              remake the cards so they are attractive.

              Based on your feedback, I could focus on creating the games with the
              cards, and creating the booklet and videos which explain them. Would
              the project then fit Kickstarter? Or why not?

              I learned of Kickstarter because I am writing a short book for adults
              who would like to understand basic math in terms of deep ideas and
              classic problems. Here are my notes:
              http://www.gospelmath.com/Math/GospelMath
              http://www.gospelmath.com/Math/DeepIdeas
              I found "Punk Math" at Kickstarter. I was inspired by how the author
              presented their sensitivity and I thought I should do likewise.
              "Gospel Math" captures my personal love of God, truth and joy and so I
              started http://www.gospelmath.com But it will take a few months and as
              much as $10,000 to write the book and learning materials I want. Thus,
              I thought I should start with a more modest project at Kickstarter.

              My deepest passion, which I've been pursuing on my own, in Lithuanian,
              is to document the hundreds of ways of figuring things out that I've
              used in my life, to discover a general theory that relates them, to
              include ways that others have figured things out, and to express and
              promote them as games for self-learners, ultimately, to establish a
              culture. This will take many years. I would like to try to make a
              living through Kickstarter by finding funding for each separate project.

              Would my Face-the-Facts Phonics Flash Cards make sense at Kickstarter
              if I focused on creating the games? They truly are fun. Children enjoy
              them. Or what other projects of mine would make sense?

              Thank you for "reaching in" to me!

              Andrius
            • Dr Chris Busby
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 13, 2011
                I thought of this:

                The Parliament of All Beings

                Its a website and people pay a small sum to join and represent a creature. For example, I might speak for the Magpie.

                Then its a kind of United Nations; you have discussions and votes on contemporary issues.

                Thing is, if the representative the (Brown Bear, the jellyfish, the snail) dont involve themselves and vote and debate at some minimal level (after all they are real representatives and have to speak for these creatures) they forfeit their place which is then put up for auction. If they do remain they can still sell their position. Imagine what people would pay to be able to say at a party when asked what they "did" they represented the Golden Eagle in the parliament of all Beings. I handed this idea to a guy in Malaysia and I beleive he bought the website but no one has done anything, i am too busy. But if anyone does use it I will be the Magpie.

                The idea is to destroy anthropocentrism
                Cheers
                Chris Busby

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 16, 2011
                  Dear Andrius (and readers of my open letters at http://dadamac.posterous.com )

                  I share your email email copied below. I agree there is great overlap between what we are doing. You know that I always saw Minciu Sodas as a kind of  "alternative online non-accrediting university",  and I saw you as a great learner, an innovative thinker (and doer) and also an enabler of other people's learning.

                  Regarding your thoughts on using kickstarter. I support that idea, but think you are thinking of much bigger rewards than is usual (which could cause you to finish off financially worse off rather than better off through your proposed use of kickstarter). I suggest you look at the kind of rewards other people have offered - I think for example of Vinay and his funding of the Future we Deserve - the only other example I am really familiar with.

                  Also I want to apologise - I have always struggled with the pronunciation and spelling of your name, especially letters "a" and "u" in your your surname and I seem to have misremembered the spellling at some point and repeatedly referred to you wrongly at dadamac.net and in posts to posterous. I will not be able to correct it all but will try to do better in future.

                  Pamela

                • Andrius Kulikauskas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 2011
                    Chris,

                    I love your idea for a Parliament of All Beings where individuals can
                    advocate for various species. Franz Nahrada and I thought of such
                    "associations" and "concords" as a natural progression of a world of
                    "global villages", where there are groups (like trade groups today) that
                    advocate for each interest, and their are, say, bioregional formums
                    where they find agreement, as relevant.

                    I used to collect such endeavors and try to encourage them in masse with
                    Minciu Sodas, but that's in the past now.

                    I share your beautiful idea with several groups where somebody might
                    take it up.

                    Oh, is there any work that I can do for your research, for example, as a
                    programmer or mathematician? Please let me know!

                    Thank you also to Ben de Vries, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Surya Prakash
                    Vinjamuri, Lawrence Kincheloe for your responses regarding Zenonas
                    Anusauskas. I hope to write more later. He uploaded a sketch of his
                    furnace design:
                    http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/21777464/sn/1212175424/name/katilas.jpg
                    and a PDF in Lithuanian with photos:
                    http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/21777464/570065356/name/Untitled-1.pdf

                    I'm finding Twitter helpful. It's a way to have open conversations and,
                    I hope, reach people who might sponsor my work. I'm at
                    http://twitter.com/#!/selflearners

                    Andrius Kulikauskas, http://www.selflearners.net, @selflearners, +1
                    (773) 306-3807