Re: [living_rocks] Seed Germination Questions

  • Randy Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2012
      Hi Susan.  I use sandwich baggies instead of jars but I like the idea.  I try to keep the 2" pots in the baggies as long as possible.  I have found that if I remove them from the baggies the mortality rate goes way up.  Mainly because I forget, become tired, or loose interest in the frequent maintenance of them.  Eventually they do dry out and then I water them with a spray bottle and reseal the baggie.  Sometimes alge grows and I remove them from the baggie.
      Randy

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2012
        Thanks for your response, Randy. That's pretty much what I thought.
        While the jars are a little bulky when space is at a premium I'm more
        comfortable with their stability over baggies. Although I'm finding they
        eventually start to dry out even in jars. When I mist them I use only
        boiled water to prevent alga growth. Seems to be working so far. I
        understand that Mammillaria luethyi is difficult to germinate but I'm
        hoping. Being in Canada I don't really have any option to buy plants.

        Susan

        On 22/03/2012 5:13 AM, Randy Johnson wrote:

        > Hi Susan. I use sandwich baggies instead of jars but I like the
        > idea. I try to keep the 2" pots in the baggies as long as possible.
        > I have found that if I remove them from the baggies the mortality rate
        > goes way up. Mainly because I forget, become tired, or loose interest
        > in the frequent maintenance of them. Eventually they do dry out and
        > then I water them with a spray bottle and reseal the baggie.
        > Sometimes alge grows and I remove them from the baggie.
        > Randy

      • Randy Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2012
          I don't know anything about M. luethyi.  I did have one that was grafted several years ago.  It melted in a few months.  Oh well.