Re: [living_rocks] Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus monstose plant wanted

  • Fan, Wen-Chun
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 11:22 PM
      He he, I have one that just sprouted an ugly little monster head...I might try to graft it if I am successful I can split it with you but it may take some time.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2 4:44 PM
        --- In living_rocks@yahoogroups.com, "william" <w.dick@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I am trying to purchase a grafted Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus monstose
        > plant, But without sucess, Can anybody help?.
        >
        > W.dick@...

        Yes I have one (big) I'llpost a photo of the monster.

        Alex
      • alexgonzalezrivera
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4 8:27 PM
          --- In living_rocks@yahoogroups.com, "alexgonzalezrivera" <turbinado@...> wrote:

          > --- In living_rocks@yahoogroups.com, "william" <w.dick@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > > I am trying to purchase a grafted Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus monstose
          > > plant, But without sucess, Can anybody help?.
          > >
          > > W.dick@
          > >

          > Yes I have one (big) I'llpost a photo of the monster.
          >
          > Alex

          Ooops!!! I just noticed that you wrote kotschoubeyanus!!! Sorry, but here's the photo
          anyway

          http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=monster6hm.jpg

          Alex
        • Geoff Bailey
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5 5:31 AM
            Alex,

            The retusus is a monster yes. Probably as a result of grafting it has grown large and offsetted extensively, but it is not a monstrose (deformed) form but a perfectly typical A. retusus except size and degree of offsetting. This is common behaviour with some Ariocarpus species, particularly retusus kotchoubeyanus, and to a lesser extent, bravoanus.

            Geoff Bailey
            www.living-rocks.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7 5:50 AM
              Thanks Geoff,
              Do you think this a case where the older heads revert to "normal" the small
              young heads do look monstrose, don't you think?

              Alex

              --- In living_rocks@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Bailey" <Geoff@...> wrote:

              > Alex,
              >
              > The retusus is a monster yes. Probably as a result of grafting it has grown large and
              offsetted extensively, but it is not a monstrose (deformed) form but a perfectly typical A.
              retusus except size and degree of offsetting. This is common behaviour with some
              Ariocarpus species, particularly retusus kotchoubeyanus, and to a lesser extent,
              bravoanus.

              > Geoff Bailey
              > www.living-rocks.com

            • Jack Honeycutt
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7 6:48 AM
                I did not get a response to my first post. I will toss out this
                follow up question...

                I was going to take a Q-Tip and try to self pollinate older flowers
                with a younger flower. But I did not know when the stamens were
                producing pollen and when the young flower might be ready to accept
                pollen. So I did nothing.

                Can someone give me a basic paragraph of flower/pollen development?

                Now that my one plant, with three flowers has stopped flowering,
                might I expect seeds? This plant was in a greenhouse with no
                pollinators (well, wind in the form of a fan).

                My background is mostly taxonomy, not reproduction, so I hope
                someone can toss me a bone here. I have Andersons Threatened Cacti
                of Mexico, Benson, & Andersons The Cactus Family. Maybe someone can
                refer me to a book or article?

                Thanks in advance.

                jack
              • stef vissers
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7 6:54 AM
                  Hi all, I wanna say that In holland a Fissurates CV gozilla is offered in
                  limited number for 195 euro, they are 2-3cm wide and grafted, I have never
                  seen it been offered before at all. SO be quick if you wnat some.
                  it is an companie in Holland.
                  I anyone has seen it offerd somewhere else for a cheaper price i would like
                  to know, its too expensive for me right now.

                  You can buy it at http://www.succulent-tissue-culture.com

                  Nieuw op MSN Messenger 7.5: Dynamische achtergronden
                  http://www1.imagine-msn.com/Messenger/Audio.aspx