Digital Digest "LiveUpdate" Newsletter - Issue 79

  • Digital Digest Newsletter
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2008

      DIGITAL DIGEST - http://www.digital-digest.com
      DIGITAL DIGEST | LiveUpdate Newsletter - Issue 79

      TOP NEWS SUMMARY:

      1. Introduction

      2. Weekly News Roundup

      3. Weekly Software Roundup

      4. How to cancel/change your subscription email address/settings
      - how to maintain the subscription to this newsletter even
      if your email address has changed

      1. Introduction

      My 10 month old Xbox 360 finally died of the RRoD problem. I've
      decided to write a series of blogs to follow my experience with
      dealing with the repair, it should be interesting and would mean
      several blog entries without really having to think of something to
      write. Yeah!

      Links:
      * My Xbox 360 Just Died
      http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2008/01/28/my-xbox-360-just-died-part-1/
      http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2008/01/28/my-xbox-360-just-died-part-2/

      -- DVDGuy

      2. Weekly News Roundup

      Sometimes I wonder if anybody is actually reading this, and that if
      I should bother continue writing this roundup. But I think I will
      continue, because I like routine and there's nothing like a Sunday
      afternoon spent in front of your computer writing something nobody
      reads. No, really, it's good.

      In Europe, record labels are now blaming ISPs for music piracy <1>.
      ISPs have been fearing something like this for a long time, to be
      blamed for inappropriate content that its users are obtaining
      online, be it copy protected content or child pornography. They know
      that if they are held responsible, they will have to start
      monitoring user traffic. The privacy issues apart, it's a huge task
      and responsibility to be placed on a company that sometimes has less
      than 20 employees. And do we really want a private company to
      monitor everything we download and to tell us what is appropriate
      and what is not? The targeting of ISPs might be a change of
      direction of content owners, since a court has ruled that personal
      privacy is more important than upholding the rights of content
      owners <2>. It seems like a very reasonable decision to me, but we
      now live in a time when reason has fallen victim to corporate greed.
      And to no surprise of anybody, The Pirate Bay has finally been
      charged with breaking copyright law <3>. I have a feeling the guys
      over at TPB have been waiting for this and are prepared for the
      battle. It will be interesting to see what happens.

      And while not strictly copyright related, the beta version of Qtrax
      was finally launched <4>. Qtrax promises access to millions of songs
      from record labels free to download in P2P form, with the
      playback/download application being advertising supported. I for one
      don't think this will work, since Internet advertising is not what
      it used to be, and with a few content owners coming out to say they
      don't know what's going on <5>and that they have had no dealings
      with Qtrax, things are not looking too bright.

      HD DVD is still fighting the good (?) fight, and will spend millions
      on a 30 second Superbowl ad spot <6>. I just hope they make it funny
      like most other Superbowl ads. Toshiba's price cuts to HD DVD
      players seems to be having an effect, clawing back some of the
      market in player sales after being beaten senseless in the week
      following Warner's Blu-ray exclusive decision (although news has now
      filtered out that the figures from that week represented a Blu-ray
      player give-away plus a plunge in HD DVD player sales, meaning total
      HD sales dropped after Warner's announcement, which is not what
      Warner had hoped for in choosing to go with a single format). Here
      in Australia, the Toshiba HD-XE1 high end player is selling
      extremely well, not surprising for a $1,000+ player being sold for
      half of its value. Rumours <7> suggest that HD DVD player sales out-
      did Blu-ray player sales by 2 to 1 in Australia this last week (led
      by the XE1), even with the PS3 is included. Going by some of the
      posts I've been reading on Australian HD forums and testimonials
      from people who have visited electronics stores to enquire about the
      XE1, that's not totally surprising. The US is also seeing HD DVD
      player "clearance" sales, although as Circuit City points out <8>,
      the "clearance" tag is just used for promotion, and they plan on
      continuing to carry HD DVD since sales has been quite good since
      the "clearance" started. Low prices sell stuff, it's not rocket
      science. Although with Blu-ray in a strong position, will we start
      seeing the end of free movie redemption and movie discounts <9>? I
      hope not. High definition movies still have a long way to go before
      consumers are convinced that it is needed to replace DVDs, and
      discounts will definitely help. And speaking of discounts, here in
      Australia, we can buy The Jack Ryan HD DVD Collection (four movies:
      The Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games
      and The Sum of All Fears) for about $USD 35. This title is part of
      Paramount's HD DVD line up for Q1 2008 <10>, and has a retail price
      of $USD 99 in the US. People in the US might want to buy from
      Australia, since HD DVD is region-free and any disc will work
      anywhere. This store <11> in Australia ships to the US for those
      that are interested.

      A couple of short items in terms of movement between HD camps <12>,
      some Italian distributors have gone HD DVD exclusive; rumour suggest
      Imation might be scrapping HD DVD production through its TDK brand
      (even though TDK has never released HD DVD, and TDK company is a Blu-
      ray exclusive backer and became a major shareholder in Imation in a
      deal that allowed Imation to use the TDK brand name); ADV Films
      (anime) might be going Blu-ray exclusive too. Sonic also announced
      that they will stop supporting the HD DVD version of their Scenarist
      authoring tool <13>. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth for people
      who purchased the HD DVD version of their quite expensive software,
      even if a exchange program is going to be made available (I'm sure
      people who bought the HD DVD version had specific needs that won't
      be addressed by the Blu-ray version, which they might already own
      anyway). Oh well, I'm sure other companies will fill the demand, if
      they haven't done so already. Microsoft maybe?

      And finally, in gaming, a firm release date has been released for
      GTA: IV in late April. Rockstar broke the silence on the release
      delay <14> (it was supposed to be available back in October 2007)
      and as expected, it was the PS3 version that was holding things
      back, although only partly responsible. The exclusive downloadable
      content will still be available on the Xbox 360 only, but there will
      be more downloadable content that will be available on both
      consoles. I for one can't wait, and hopefully my RRoD'd 360 will be
      fully functioning by then. There is also rumours floating around
      that a new PS3 will be available in the autumn <15>, one that is
      slimmer and has 120 or 160 GB storage depending on where you found
      the rumour. Competition to a new quiter, cooler, 360 SKU to be
      released around the same time? And to follow up on the Mass Effect
      Fox News Sex Scandal <16> (it sounds a lot more exciting than it
      actually is, kind of like everything being "reported" on Fox News),
      the Fox News contributor admits she was wrong and that she has now
      had a change of mind after actually seeing the game being played for
      the first time. Oh dear.

      And so this concludes this week's roundup. Hopefully I will have
      more updates on my 360 RRoD experience, perhaps an update to a very
      popular guide that will allow better video playback on a certain
      game console, and maybe I'll write that blog on HD managed copy that
      I promised to write 2 weeks ago. Patience, my lovelies.

      Links:
      <1> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86024
      <2> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86070
      <3> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86087
      <4> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86012
      <5> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?postid=552784
      <6> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86071
      <7> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?postid=552979
      <8> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86083
      <9> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86096
      <10> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86093
      <11> http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/798105
      <12> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86092
      <13> http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/30/sonics-scenarist-now-blu-ray-digital-distribution-format-only/
      <14> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86016
      <15> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86097
      <16> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=85993

      3. Weekly Software Roundup

      February 3, 2008 Burn4Free 4.1.0.0 (Freeware)
      February 3, 2008 MP4Box 0.4.5 Dev (20080201) (Freeware)
      February 3, 2008 Dr. DivX 2.0.1 Beta 7 (Freeware)
      February 3, 2008 PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 Build 3730
      February 3, 2008 Txt2VobSub 3.4 (Freeware)
      February 3, 2008 ffdshow Rev. 1839 (Freeware)
      February 3, 2008 DVB Web Scheduler 5.0.0.17 (Freeware)
      February 3, 2008 MoKgVm2DVD 1.2 (Freeware)
      February 2, 2008 Wondershare Photo Story Platinum 2.8.0
      February 2, 2008 ProgDVB 5.13.1 (Freeware)
      February 2, 2008 MediaInfo 0.7.5.8 (Freeware)
      February 2, 2008 GOTSent 0.23 beta 10 (Freeware)
      February 1, 2008 DVD slideshow GUI 0.81 (Freeware)
      February 1, 2008 DV Media Player Pro 2.0
      February 1, 2008 DV Media Player Basic 1.4.0 (Freeware)
      February 1, 2008 TV Toolbox 1.0 Beta 4 (Freeware)
      February 1, 2008 tsMuxeR 1.2.9 (Freeware)
      February 1, 2008 TitleWriter 4.64 (Freeware)
      January 31, 2008 RipBot264 1.8.7 (Freeware)
      January 31, 2008 FLV Splitter 1.0.0.4 (Freeware)
      January 31, 2008 Goldwave 5.23
      January 31, 2008 CoreAVC 1.6.5.0
      January 30, 2008 MediaCoder 0.6.1 Build 4045 (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 SMSG 1.0.5.0 Beta (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 Kantaris Media Player 0.3.2 (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 Movie Library ++ 4.1.1 (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 Vista Codec Package 4.5.7 (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 (20080127) (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 x264 full rev. 736 (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 AVI ReComp 1.4.0 (Freeware)
      January 29, 2008 Coollector 2.01 (Freeware)
      January 28, 2008 mkv2vob 1.5.2 (Freeware)
      January 28, 2008 VisualSubSync 0.9.14 (Freeware)
      January 28, 2008 eac3to 2.20 (Freeware)
      January 28, 2008 ffmpegX 0.0.9y (Freeware)
      January 27, 2008 YAMB 2.0.0.8 (20080121) (Freeware)
      January 27, 2008 CCCP 2008-01-24 (Freeware)
      January 27, 2008 Winclipdvb 2.9.7 (Freeware)
      January 27, 2008 DVD-Audio Solo 1.4.3
      January 27, 2008 MONOGRAM GraphStudio 0.1.4.0 Alpha (Freeware)

      http://www.digital-digest.com/software/lastweeksoftware.php

      email account that receives this newsletter.
      - Or go to the Yahoo My Groups page to edit your group
      subscriptions. More information here:
      - DO NOT reply to this email for unsubscribe requests - it will be
      ignored

      To change the email address that receives this newsletter:
      - Un-subscribe using your current one, and sign up using a new email
      address

      ======END OF LIVEUPDATE NEWSLETTER======
    • Digital Digest Newsletter
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2008
        Hello All

        Just wanted to write a short message to respond to something I wrote
        in the last newsletter, in the intro to the news roundup:

        -------------What I Wrote:----------------
        Sometimes I wonder if anybody is actually reading this, and that if
        I should bother continue writing this roundup. But I think I will
        continue, because I like routine and there's nothing like a Sunday
        afternoon spent in front of your computer writing something nobody
        reads. No, really, it's good.

        This is just a note to say thanks to all those that emailed me
        asking me to stop being such a drama queen with all the threats to
        quit writing the newsletter.

        But seriously, many did write in with messages of support, and I
        would like to thank all who did that because the words of
        encouragement are much appreciated. I find writing the intro the
        hardest because I never know what to write. So I just wrote
        something I thought was quite random, but reading it again, it did
        seem like that I was threatening to quit, which was not my
        intention.

        Anyway, sorry for the confusion. The next issue will be here the
        usual time, I promise.

        --
        DVDGuy