Digital DIGEST - LIVE UPDATE Issue 22 (Text Edition)

  • Digital Digest
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2000
      DIGITAL DIGEST - http://www.digital-digest.com
      DIGITAL DIGEST | LIVE UPDATE Issue 22
      Your "whenever I have time to write one" newsletter
      Sunday, 12th November, 2000

      TOP NEWS SUMMARY :

      0. Section Zer0 - an introduction to this issue

      1. The Empire Strikes Back - Region Coding Enhancement

      2. Petition : Star Trek DivX

      3. US Politics or "What does that have to do with DVD/DivX?"

      4. New programs at Digital Digest

      5. How to cancel/change your subscription email address/settings
      - how to maintain the subscription to this newsletter even if your
      email address has changed

      6. A simple thank-you
      - a thank-you message for all those that joined this list

      0. Section Zer0

      Welcome to this, the 22nd issue, of the Digital Digest LiveUpdate
      newsletter. As the US election grips the US and part of the world,
      business is still as usual here down at Digital Digest.

      There is news of a new region management system, called RCE, that may
      mean doom for people with multi-region DVD players - but as we'll
      explain, the news may be exaggerated.

      There is also news of a petition to get Star Trek episodes on to DivX,
      or a similar downloadable/streamable format - during a time when DivX,
      and Project Mayo (the sequel to DivX) gets even more press.

      And of course, there is the usual array of new and updated DVD/DivX
      software to add to your collection.
      And lastly, we have to add that there will be little or no updates of
      Digital Digest until November 20th, and throughout the most of December.
      We apologise ahead of time for any inconvenience caused.

      As I said, business as usual =)

      1. The Empire Strikes Back - Region Coding Enhancement

      RCE - the new (or not so new, if you've been closely following the
      developments) region management system could potentially leave millions
      of DVD players worldwide useless, when dealing with DVDs that does
      feature this new management system.

      But the reality is that not everyone will be affected, and it does seem
      that most people with "modified" DVD players will still find that RCE
      DVDs won't cause them any headaches.

      So what is RCE? In short, it is a new region control system. DVDs
      carrying this new system, like The Patriot, will now try to detect the
      region setting of your DVD player - if it doesn't match the region
      setting on the disc, the disc will not play. Those with DVD players set
      to region 0, or have "automatic" region switching will find that discs
      like The Patriot won't play on their system.

      However, those with DVD players that allow manually selectable regions,
      should find that RCE makes no difference - this is not to say that ALL
      DVD players with manual switching should be okay, as some will still
      have trouble playing back RCE discs.

      But there has also been reports that some mono-region DVD players will
      also have trouble playing RCE discs - something that is quite possible
      when one tries to screw around with an established system.

      Once again, the DVD/Movie industry has shown that profits, is indeed,
      more important than its customers.

      2. Petition : Star Trek DivX

      There is currently a petition going on to urge Paramount Pictures, the
      owners of the Star Trek product license, to release an online
      downloadable/streamable version of their Star Trek TV series.

      There are already hundreds of signatures on the petition, and once they
      reach critical mass, they will be sent to Paramount to hopefully let
      them know what fans want.

      Personally, I think if Paramount does release online versions of their
      TV series, and if they do charge a reasonable amount per episode, they
      could potentially make quite a fortune, as most Star Trek/Sci Fi fans
      are already very active on the internet, and with broadband become more
      readily available, there is great demand for high quality digital
      entertainment.

      If you are interested, please sign the petition here :

      http://www.drobnik.com/

      P.S : If you signed the petition before the 13th October, please sign it
      again, as most of them were lost.

      3.US Politics or "What does that have to do with DVD/DivX?"

      As I type now, the US elections may still be undecided, following the
      electoral deadlock, which most likely will only be decided by whoever
      wins Florida.

      So what does have that have to do with DVD or DivX ?

      On the surface, nothing much - but if you look closer, this election
      does indeed have some impact on DVD/DivX and the Internet as a whole.
      First of all, it seems that whoever gets to be President will be
      appointing US Supreme Court Judges and may have a whole different spin
      on legal issues surrounding the IT industry. For example, A George W.
      Bush Presidency may mean a less harsh stance towards Microsoft.

      And with DeCSS, Napster, Scour and perhaps soon, even DivX in the legal
      spotlight, there is no doubt that the US government's stance will have a
      significant impact on these court cases - although the White House
      probably doesn't have all that much to say in these matters, but a few
      words from the President to support either side will be quite
      significant.

      And wouldn't it be interesting if the US Department of Justice desided
      to file a monopoly suit against the MPAA - not likely, but not
      impossible.

      And lastly, it seems that in 1998, Hillary Rodham Clinton was the key
      person who requested that a DVD system be fitted in the White House's
      screening room - now that she's a senator, perhaps she could convince
      the Senate to install a DVD system in it's screening - an added
      lunchtime activity for US politicians, and an added incentive for future
      political hopefuls to run for the Senate =)

      4. New programs at Digital Digest

      DivX Software :
      =================

      Bitrate Calculators :
      Advanced DivX Bit. Calculator 1.8
      Ampex's DivX bitrate calculator
      Bearson Bitrate Calculator 1.0
      Ecuador's AVI Bitrate Calculator 1.1
      Johnny DivX
      THE Bit-Rate

      Codecs :
      Angelpotion MPEG-4 Codec 1.00 build.702

      Conversion :
      AVI2VCD 1.3.3
      CompressAVI 1.04 beta 9
      DVD2AVI 11-2
      MPEG2AVI PX3 0.0.5
      VOB2AVI 0.4.5.0

      DivX Players :
      Ar1z Video Player 2.535
      BS Player 0.81
      Cinematograph 2.1.1.2
      Home Player v0.51b
      Linux DivX players
      Mac DivX player 1.0b8r2
      Mini Player
      RadLight Player 2.0b

      Editing :
      AVIedit 2.8
      AVI Mux 0.1
      DeDynamic 1.1b
      DivFix 1.03
      DivX Mutator 1.1
      FMI
      ProjectDivX 1.0

      GUIs :
      DVD2AVI GUI 1.06 Beta 1
      EasySoft DivXbase

      Launchers :
      AutoAVI 2.00.0001
      Clipmenu
      Compact Disc Autorun 1.3
      Compact Disc Launcher 4.1
      DivX Movie Launcher 1.22
      DivX MP4 Video CD Launcher
      DIVX-press! v.2
      Full-Moon Launcher 2.0
      HankDivX 0.6.1
      Movie Launcher 1.2
      Shadowboot 0.1b
      Video CD Launcher 3.2

      Rip-Packs :
      BH's DivX Rippack
      DVD-RIPP 3.0
      MPEG2AVI Rip Pack 1.2

      Subtitle tools :
      DvdC 1.0a
      Subtitle Adjuster for MicroDVD 1.3
      Subtitle FPS converter
      SubAdjust 1.4

      DVD Software :
      =================

      Authoring :
      Daikin ReelDVD
      DVD Wise 1.65
      Sonic DVDit

      Conversion :
      Aspect Ratio Calculator
      bbMPEG 1.24 beta 12
      FlaskMPEG DeCSS 0.594
      FlaskMPEG 0.594 PX3 Fix 0.0.4e final
      PX3's AC3 -> WAV 0.2beta
      TMPGEnc beta 12a

      Editing :
      iFilmEdit 1.4.5
      MakeFilm 0.2
      VirtualDub 1.4c
      VirtualDub 1.4c patched with AVI joining facility

      GUIs :
      CrazyRIP 1.51p
      Danni Din's MPEG2AVI/AC3DEC/VSTRIP GUI 0.19l
      Danni Din's VOBDec GUI 3.1

      Mac tools:
      DVD Extractor 0.9b
      DVD Toolkit 2.2
      mAC3dec 0.9b
      MPEG2Decoder 1.4

      Playback :
      Elecard MPEG-2 Player 1.15
      Eugene's DVD player 0.94
      PowerDVD 2.5 to 2.55 Patch
      PowerDVD 3.0 Evaluation
      PowerDVD 3.0 Trial
      WinDVD 2.3.55 Build 055C Patch

      Playback tools :
      More PowerDVD Skins
      WinDVD Skin Developer's Kit

      Region :
      Creative DXR-3 RegSet
      DVD Genie 3.80
      DVD Region Killer 1.0.1.0
      DVD Remote Selector 1.76
      Margi DVD-TO-GO PCMCIA Region Patches
      Mpact 3DVD region-free solution
      Region-free Firmwares

      Rip-Packs :
      VCD Galaxy DVDRip ComboPack 1.0

      Ripping :
      CladDVD 1.64
      DVD Decrypter 1.6
      EasyVDGUI V3.7
      PC Opus + VD Crack
      SmartRipper 2.02
      VStrip 0.6a - CSS version

      Subtitle :
      SubRip 0.81b
      Ultimate Subtitles Converter 0.01

      VCD :
      VCDGear 2.0

      Other :
      DC Genie 1.10
      ForceASPI 1.7
      ShutDown
      TVCC 2000 v1.1

      account that receives this newsletter.

      To change the email address that receives this newsletter :
      - Un-subscribe using your current one, and sign up using a new email
      address

      6. A simple thank-you

      Just a note to thank all the thousands of people (3000 at last count),
      including you, who joined the DVD Digest LiveUpdate program. We've spent
      quite a bit of time developing this site, and making it what it is
      today, and really do appreciate your continued support.

      We have changed most of our click ads into banner impression ads, which
      means you no longer need to click on them, although it will still help
      my advertisers. And if you are interested in advertising on our site, or
      even on this newsletter, please contact us or refer to our Advertising
      page :

      Our contact : webmaster@...
      Advertising page : http://www.digital-digest.com/advertising.html

      If you would like to provide us with some feedback as to the quality of
      this newsletter, please contact us using this email address :

      webmaster@...

      We hoped you enjoyed another LiveUpdate newsletter. We'll try to make
      this newsletter a regular fortnightly one in the future.

      Thank-you

      ======END OF LIVEUPDATE NEWSLETTER======