Re: [liveoakzen] Live Oak Zen Thursday

  • John Daniewicz
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 30, 2013
      Great! That is the good version!
      John

      From: Mary Connor <maryconnor@...>
      To: liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 5:28 PM
      Subject: Re: [liveoakzen] Live Oak Zen Thursday

      On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM, John Daniewicz <layover3@...> wrote:
      And when we rise, let us rise,
      Like a bird – Joyfully!
      Found it!

    • Mary Connor
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
        That site has four recordings of Plum Village Monastery practice songs:

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 23, 2013
          This Thursday, we will read two short chapters from "Going Home == Jesus and Buddha as Brothers. The first is on Birth and Death versus No Birth and No Death.
          The second is on how To Be or Not to Be is not the question.
          Bows,
          John
        • John Daniewicz
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 8, 2014
            This Thursday, we will explore Thay's chapters that explore spiritual beliefs and the guidance of "Be aware. If you meet the Buddha, kill him."
            Bows,
            John
          • Betty Skwarek

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 15, 2014
                This Thursday, Peg Syverson will be sitting with us.
                Bows,
                John
              • John Daniewicz
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 23, 2014
                  For this Thursday, we will read and discuss 1 or 2 short Thich Nhat Hanh talks on happiness that go along with the saying, "no mud, no lotus."

                  In addition, we will work on a new song; and discuss maybe another way to do readings and discussion whereby at different times someone brings in  a section of a book that speaks to them to share with all.
                  Bows,
                  John
                • Betty Skwarek

                    Message 9 of 22 , May 21, 2014
                      This Thursday, we will read and discuss the Thich Nhat Hanh chapter, "Going Back to One's Roots." We will also lead off by singing the song, "The Island of Self." This song reminds me of the last part of the gatha on hearing the bell, "Following the sound of the bell I go back to the island of Mindfulness and in the garden of my heart the flowers of peace bloom beautifully.

                      Here is a link to hear the song: https://soundcloud.com/tj-fool/island-of-self. Please listen to it since I will have a hard time leading this song. (Maybe Jeanie can help us with this). Here are the words to the song:

                      Breathing in,

                      I go back to the Island within myself.

                      There are beautiful trees

                      within the Island.

                      There are clear streams of water.

                      There are birds,

                      Sunshine and fresh air.

                      Breathing out, I feel safe.

                      I enjoy going back to my Island.

                      Bows,

                      John

                    • John Daniewicz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 4 11:53 AM
                      This Thursday, Karl will pick out for reading/discussion a section from "The Untethered Soul -- the Journey Beyond Yourself" by Michael Singer who is more out of the Yoga tradition. This is part of our sampling of different books to see which we will do next.

                      For the time after this, if you have a book that you like, please volunteer to bring a reading from it 8 days from now.

                      Attached and below is a listing of the books we have already read. From this list, consider which ones you might be able to contribute to the Live Oak library.
                      Bows,
                      John

                      Live Oak Zen Readings

                      1.      Joko Beck – “Every Day Zen”

                      2.      Mu Soeng – “The Heart Sutra”

                      3.      Rick Hansen & Richard Mendius – “Buddha’s Brain”

                      4.      Jack Kornfield – “A Path with Heart”

                      5.      Thich Nhat Hanh – “No Death, No Fear”

                      6.      Brazier – “The Feeling Buddha”

                      7.      James Ishmael Ford – “If You’re Lucky, Your Heart Will Break”

                      8.      Thich Nhat Hanh – “Going Home – Jesus and Buddha as Brothers”

                    • John Daniewicz
                      Message 11 of 22 , Aug 13, 2014
                        The next talk by Pema Chodron, talks about how to meditate per her tradition. Therefore, lets do her reading first so we can consider it during our two meditation periods after that.
                        Bows,
                        John
                      • John Daniewicz
                        Message 12 of 22 , Aug 20, 2014
                          This Thursday, we will read and discuss Pema's next Chapter which is about "maitri" -- an approach to this practice:
                          "What makes maitri such a different approach is that we are not trying to solve a problem. We are not striving to make pain go away or to become a better person. In fact we are giving up control altogether and letting concepts and ideals fall apart."
                          It sounds good -- let's try to see how we do such a practice.
                          Bows,
                          John
                        • Mary Connor

                            Message 14 of 22 , Apr 8, 2015
                              If not raining, we will do the Four Seasons labyrinth walking meditation for Spring during the first meditation period. We will first meet in RM 109 as usual. If we do it, wear walking shoes.

                              We will read and discuss the next chapter from Being Nobody Going Nowhere by  Ayya Khema.

                              Cheers,
                              John
                            • John Daniewicz
                              Message 15 of 22 , Jul 29, 2015
                              This Thursday, we will switch over to Ayya Khema's Being Nobody, Going Nowhere.
                              It will be the  first half of the chapter on Buddha's discourse on Loving Kindness. In this discourse, before going on to describe Loving Kindness for others, he first describes 15 attributes that need to be achieved in order to make  one skilled in wholesomeness and to gain the state of peacefulness. In Loving Kindness meditation, this is the part about taking care of yourself first.

                              I have also added my notes on Chapter 11 of the untethered soul to the other notes I have sent out earlier for Chapters 8,9,and 10. This is attached. I think Chapters 10 and 11 are very instructive.

                              Bows,
                              John
                            • John Daniewicz
                              Message 16 of 22 , May 11, 2016
                                In the chapter, "Becoming" in Buddhism Without Beliefs, we have now studied how we come out of confusion, and we have done a guided meditation to help us focus on the complexity that we are to help us realize that we are not a fixed essence but rather an interactive cluster of processes.

                                To conclude this chapter, we will dwell  on how the  embodied personality that comes our of our confusion conditions sensory experience and mood which in turn conditions craving and clinging and becoming which in turn conditions our view of birth, aging, and death.

                                Bows