Thursday Live Oak Zen

  • John Daniewicz
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 10 1:27 PM
      This Thursday (tomorrow), we will read the chapter, "Seven Suggstions" which is James Ford's version of the Zen precepts or ethical guidelines. In the rest of this book, he will spend a chapter on each of this suggestions.
      The following Thursday, July 18, we have Peg rescheduled to visit us to do Inquiry.
      Cheers,
      John
    • John Daniewicz
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 29, 2014
        Last Thursday was iced out -- no one came. So tomorrow, from the book, "Going Home -- Jesus and Buddha as Brothers," we will read and discuss the chapter, "The Birth of True Faith." As I said before, "faith" can be a very loaded word based on our Christian roots. We had a discussion on it at Plum Blossom not to long ago, and it was easy to see the tension rise up. Thay's teaching here is very well thought out and instructive.
        Cheers,
        John
      • John Daniewicz
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5, 2014
          This Thursday Peg Syverson, who is the founder and a Zen teacher at Appamada,will  sit with us and lead us in a discussion. For more on Appamada, see http://www.appamada.org/.
          Bows,
          John
        • John Daniewicz
          Message 4 of 30 , May 14, 2014
            Tomorrow we will be reading the beginning of Part 6 of the book "Coming Home -- Jesus and Buddha as Brothers. This is the last part and has the title "Jesus and Buddha as Brothers" which deals with the interconnections between our spiritual traditions -- the ones we grew up with and the ones we have now. Tomorrow's beginning sections from this part use a beautiful metaphor and story about the bells in his life.

            Here are the gathas he begins with:
            Before the meditation bells are sounded, the ringer of the bells breathes in and out while silently reciting each line of:
            Body, speech, and mind in perfect awareness
            I send my heart along with the sound of this bell.
            May the hearers awaken from their forgetfulness
            and transcend the path of all anxiety and sorrow.

            Meanwhile the hearers of the bell are silently reciting:
            Listening to the bell I feel the afflictions in me begin to dissolve.
            My mind is calm and my body is relaxed.
            A smile is born on my lips.
            Following the sound of the bell I go back to the island of Mindfulness
            and in the garden of my heart the flowers of peacebloom beautifully.

            Cheers,
            John

          • Mary Connor
            Message 5 of 30 , May 18, 2014
              On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM, John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen] <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Following the sound of the bell I go back to the island of Mindfulness
              and in the garden of my heart the flowers of peace bloom beautifully.

            • John Daniewicz
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 18, 2014
                This Thursday, we will read and discuss a portion of a Jon Kabat Zin book that Emily will be bringing.
                Bows
                John
              • John Daniewicz
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 25, 2014
                  This Thursday, as part of our book selection process, Sue will bring a chapter called "The Substitute Life" from Ezra Bayda's book, "Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Live." Ezra is in the tradition of Joko Beck, which is part of the Japanese version of Zen started by Dogen and which is part of Mahayana Buddhism.
                  Cheers,
                  John
                • John Daniewicz
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 1 12:44 PM
                    This Thursday, Karl will bring in a reading from Tara Brach's "Radical Acceptance". Below is the Amazon intro summary of this book.
                    Bows,
                    John

                    A psychotherapist and Buddhist meditation teacher in the tradition of Jack Kornfield (who contributes a foreword), first-time author Brach offers readers a rich compendium of stories and techniques designed to help people awaken from what she calls "the trance of unworthiness." The sense of self-hatred and fearful isolation that afflicts so many people in the West can be transformed with the steady application of a loving attention infused with the insights of the Buddhist tradition, according to Brach. Interweaving stories from her own life as a hardworking single mother with many wonderful anecdotes culled from her therapy practice and her work as a leader of meditation retreats, Brach offers myriad examples of how our pain can become a doorway to love and liberation. An older Catholic woman in one of Brach's weekend workshops, for example, recounts how she learned to ask God to help hold her pain. Like her colleagues Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Joseph Goldstein and others in the Vipassana or Insight meditation tradition, Brach is open-minded about where she gathers inspiration. Garnishing her gentle advice and guided meditation with beautiful bits of poetry and well-loved if familiar dharma stories, Brach describes what it can mean to open to the reality of other people, to live in love, to belong to the world. Obviously the fruit of the author's own long and honest search, this is a consoling and practical guide that can help people find a light within themselves.
                  • John Daniewicz
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 5, 2014
                      This Thursday, we will read and discuss a chapter that seems to fit very well the book's title: When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. The chapter is called "The Love That Will Not Die" and it is about a strange and wonderful thing that can happen in the worst of times when we get in touch with bodhichitta.
                      Bows,
                      John

                      p.s. For the Pot Luck, Cathy tells me her house at 9904 Grand Oak Drive is at the corner of Tree Bend and Grand Oak Drive, and that it is best to park on Grand Oak.
                    • Cathy King
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 5, 2014
                        Hi All,

                        Regarding the address for Saturday, I'm in Austin and the zip is 78750 in case you are using a map finder.

                        My cell is 512-296-0199 for questions, or if you get lost.

                        Cathy

                        On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM, John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen] <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        This Thursday, we will read and discuss a chapter that seems to fit very well the book's title: When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. The chapter is called "The Love That Will Not Die" and it is about a strange and wonderful thing that can happen in the worst of times when we get in touch with bodhichitta.
                        Bows,
                        John

                        p.s. For the Pot Luck, Cathy tells me her house at 9904 Grand Oak Drive is at the corner of Tree Bend and Grand Oak Drive, and that it is best to park on Grand Oak.

                      • Susan Daniewicz
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 10, 2014
                          This Thursday, the reading and discussion from Pema's When  Things Fall Apart will be on the chapter "Opinions." This has an especially important exercise/practice to better see what we are doing in the judgment arena. Jesus said love your enemies. This chapter discusses how to do it. This is a prerequisite for anything we do in the social justice and political areas. And as we near the Christmas family gatherings, it can help to make them more Merry.
                          Cheers,
                          John
                        • Mary Connor

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 28
                              This thursday, we will read and discuss the last chapter of "When Things Fall Apart" that is titled, _the Path is the Goal."
                              "Now is the only time. How we relate to it creates the future. In other words, if we're going to be more cheerful in the future, it's because of our aspiration and exertion to be cheerful in the present. What we do accumulates, the future is the result of what we do right now."

                              Bows,
                              John
                            • John Daniewicz
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 18
                                For reading/discussion, let's do a preview of "The Untethered Soul" by Michael Singer.
                                Bows,
                                John
                              • John Daniewicz
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 25
                                  This Thursday, we will read and discuss a book that Maria will bring. I forget the whole title, but the last word in the title of this more humorous approach is "Dung"
                                  Cheers,
                                  John
                                • Mary Connor

                                    Message 17 of 30 , May 20
                                      Tomorrow, we will also read and discuss the chapter, " Transcending the Tendency to Close," from Michael Singer's The Untethered Soul.
                                      " The problem is that the part of you that gets disturbed is way out of balance. It's so sensitive that the slightest little thing causes it to overreact. Your are living on a planet spinning around the middle of outer space, and your're either worrying about your blemishes, the scratch on your new car, or the fact that you burped in public. It's not healthy. If your physical body were that sensitive, you would say you were sick. But our society considers psychological sensitivities normal. Because most of us don't have to worry about food, clothing, shelter, we have the luxury of worrying about a spot on our pants, or laughing too loud, or saying something wrong. Because we've developed this hypersensitive psyche, we constantly use our energies to close around it and protect ourselves. But this process only hides the problems, it doesn't fix them. You're locking your illness inside yourself and it will only get worse."
                                      This is the last of the chapters in this book that talks about our problem. The next part is called, "Freeing Yourself." So let us dwell on the challenge!
                                      Cheers,
                                      John
                                    • John Daniewicz
                                      Message 18 of 30 , May 27
                                        Tomorrow we will be going back to Being Nobody, Going Nowhere by Ayya Khema out of the Theravadan tradition, and also a Jewish survivor out of Nazi Germany who became a nun in Buddhism. We will read and discuss the part of her chapter on the Five Hindrances on #1 Hindrance on Sensual Desire. For us Americans, this will be a challenge!
                                        Bows,