Live Oak Zen

  • John Daniewicz
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 5, 2013
      Sue and I saw the movie: "Happy" the other day from NetFlix about the most important factors that make us feel happy. Along with positive factors such as having community and friends and doing aerobic training, they also reported on the benefits of doing loving-kindness meditation. For example, see http://www.news.wisc.edu/14944.
      So, this Thursday, during our meditation periods, let's spend time doing this type of meditation! We will remind all of the basics beforehand.

      The next chapter for read/discuss is "Only, Don't Know", (which is very hard for all us intellectuals). I will also bring along a Thich Nhat Hanh discussion about this which is one of his key mindfulness trainings.

      This Sunday, June 9 at 6:30 PM at the Live Oak labyrinth, there is a going away party for Ann Miller. She used to sit with us until her health started making it difficult. Please attend if you know her. We wish her the best.
      Bows,
      John
    • John Daniewicz
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 9, 2013
        This Thursday, we will start to read and discuss the Thich Naht Hanh book, "Going Home -- Jesus and Buddha as Brothers." We will start with the Introduction which sets the stage of describing Plum Village in France and of Thay coming in on Christmas Eve to give a Dharma talk. And then, as time allows, we will hear the beginning of that talk in the chapter, "Birth of Understanding."
        Cheers,
        John
      • Yahoo Shared

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 26, 2014
            Tomorrow, we will shorten the 2nd sitting a bit so that we can watch a 45 minute video of Thich Nhat Hanh talking about the different ways of doing a mindful meditation while following the breath. It is good to also see and hear him give a talk.
            Bows,
            John
          • John Daniewicz
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 2, 2014
              For this Thursday, let's do the Spring walk of the Labyrinth as part of the Four Seasons. We will first meet up in RM 109 and then do the Labyrinth as the first 20 minute period. For the second period, as we sit, I will take you through a "Guided Meditation" on Looking Deeply and Healing to help find a balance around feelings. Afterwards, we will read and discuss Thay's notes on this guided meditation.

              Peg will be visiting us on April 17.
              Bows,
              John
            • John Daniewicz
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 9, 2014
                The voting for the book was very much in favor of Pema Chodron's "When Things Fall Apart." (Pema 15, Tara 6, Ezra 4, Michael Singer 3, Zinn 1) So for this Thursday, let's start on Pema's book if someone can bring a copy.
                Cheers,
                John
              • John Daniewicz
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 16, 2014
                  This Thursday, we will start reading Pema if someone has a book by then. Otherwise we will do another chapter out of Ezra's on how to meditate.
                  Bows,
                  John
                • Mary Connor
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 16, 2014
                    I'm still looking for my copy, but I do have Pema's little book, Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change, in my car:

                    On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM, John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen] <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    This Thursday, we will start reading Pema if someone has a book by then. Otherwise we will do another chapter out of Ezra's on how to meditate.
                    Bows,
                    John

                  • Betty Skwarek

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 12, 2014
                        This Thursday, we will learn about doing Tonglen both for others in suffering and for ourselves when we are in anger or pain. "It is a method for overcoming our fear of suffering and for dissolving the tightness of our hearts. . . . Tonglen reverses the usual logic of avoiding suffering and seeking pleasure. In the process we become liberated from very ancient patterns of selfishness."
                        Bows,
                        John
                      • John Daniewicz
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 3, 2014
                          This Thursday, we will read and discuss the second half of the chapter, "Servants of Peace," which will discuss the last four of the five Paramitas ( discipline, patience, exertion, and meditation)  that are all supported by prajna (which I think of as intuitive wisdom).

                          This chapter helps to explain the term prajnaparamita which is a key part of the important yet difficult ending of the Heart Sutra:

                          "All Buddhas in the past, present and future have attained Supreme Enlightenment by relying on the Prajnaparamita. Therefore we know that the Prajnaparamita is the great magic Mantra, the great Mantra of illumination, it is the supreme Mantra, the unequaled Mantra which can truly wipe out all suffering without fail."
                          Therefore, he uttered the Prajnaparamita mantra, by saying:
                          "Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasemgate Bodhi-svaha!"
                          (Which means...Gone, gone, gone over, gone fully over to the other shore. Awakened! So be it!)

                          This second half of the chapter will complement the first Paramita, generosity, which we discussed last time.
                          Bows,
                          John
                        • John Daniewicz
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 7, 2015
                            Happy New Year!
                            Let's start it off with some good meditations this Thursday. Afterwards, we will be going to Rudino's. The Reading/Discussion from Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart  is on Three Ways to Work with Chaos. She says, "These methods instruct us to move toward difficulties rather than backing away. We don't get this kind of encouragement very often.
                            Very Cheery!
                            John
                          • John Daniewicz
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 14, 2015
                              This Thursday we will read and discuss, "The Trick of Choicelessness." from Pema's Chapter 20. Get ready for a wake up call:
                               "To what do we really commit ourselves? Is it to playing it safe and manipulating our life and our whole world, so that it will give us security and confirmation? Or is our commitment to deeper and deeper levels of maitri (unconditional friendliness to oneself)?  . . . Do we take refuge in small, self-satisfied actions, speech, and mind? Or do we take refuge in warriorship, in taking a leap, in going beyond our usual safety zones?"

                              (This book ends at Chapter 22. Think about what book you would think we should read and discuss next.)
                              Bows,
                              John
                            • Mary Connor
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 14, 2015

                                On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM, John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen] <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                Think about what book you would think we should read and discuss next

                                For Christmas I got Ayya Khema's classic, "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere," which (so far) is wonderfully accessible and arresting. She's a Theravadan nun, like Pema. Her biography is astonishing. I'll bring it in if anyone wants to thumb through it....

                                peace, Mary
                              • John Daniewicz
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 22, 2015
                                  Tonight the reading and discussion is on "Reversing the Wheel of Samsara."  It is about changing our habitual patterns - especially the ones driven by our childhood views of ourselves as not good enough.

                                  "That's what the dharma is about; turning all our habits around, reversing the process of how we make everything so solid, reversing the wheel of samsara. It starts with catching ourselves when we spin off in the same old ways. Usually we feel that there's a large problem and we have to fix it. The instruction is to stop. Do something unfamiliar. Do anything besides rushing off in the same old direction, up to the same old tricks.
                                  My experience is that this is how our thoughts begin to slow down. Magically, it seems that there's a lot more space to breathe, a lot more room to dance, and a lot more happiness."

                                  Bows,
                                  John

                                  p.s. Consider what book we might read and discuss next.
                                • John Daniewicz

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 8, 2015
                                        After sitting and walking meditations, we will read and discuss Ayya Khema's discourse on Rebirth.  Near the end, she says
                                        "There's another aspect of rebirth that needs to be discussed: we're all being reborn every moment. Very few people have the mindfulness or the attentiveness to become aware of that. But we can become aware of being reborn every morning. . . . This is a far more important aspect of rebirth than thinking about one's next life."

                                        This reminds me of the Thich Nhat Hanh gatha on waking up in the morning:
                                        " 24 brand new hours! I vow to live them mindfully and to look upon all beings with eyes of compassion."
                                        Cheers,
                                        John
                                      • Mary Connor

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 16, 2015
                                            This Thursday, we will read and discuss the chapter, "The Path of Unconditional Happiness" from Michael Singer's the untethered soul. It will surprise you to see just how simple it is!!
                                            Bows,
                                            John
                                          • Mary Connor
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 16, 2015
                                              Yay! And this just popped up in my feed, related to retraining the brain for happiness:

                                              http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/this-nifty-infographic-is-a-great-introduction-to-neuroplasticity

                                              See you tomorrow!
                                              peace, Mary