Re: [liveoakzen] Thursday Zen

  • jeanne kyser
    Message 1 of 131 , May 2, 2013
      I'm not up to coming over there tonight,  folks -- could someone else bring a blossom or two? I  think I said I'd bring flowers.
      Sorry - and thank you,
      Jeanne

      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM, John Daniewicz <layover3@...> wrote:

      This Thursday, we will learn about "Koan Introspection". So here's the koan:
      45th in the Blue Cliff Record:
      A student asks Master Zhaozhou,
      "All things return to one. To what does the one return?"
      To which the venerable gave his own answer,
      "When I was living in Qingzhou, I sewed a robe. It weighed seven pounds."
      Forget the answer, consider the question.
      Bows,
      John

    • John Daniewicz
      Message 131 of 131 , Jun 13 10:34 AM
        This Thursday, we will begin a try out of a Tara Brach book, "True Refuge." Ahe is of the Vipassana tradition which is part of Trevadan school.
        Here is some background info on her:

        Tara Brach (born May 17, 1953) is an American psychologist and proponent of Buddhist meditation. She is a guiding teacher and founder of the Insight Meditation Community of Washington, D.C. (IMCW).[1] Dr. Brach teaches their Wednesday night meeting in Bethesda, Maryland.[2][3] Her colleagues include Jack KornfieldSharon SalzbergJoseph Goldstein and others in the Vipassana or Insight meditation tradition.[4] Brach also teaches about Buddhist meditation at centers for meditation and yoga in the United States and Europe including Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California, the Kripalu Center,[5] and the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies.[6]

        Brach is an engaged Buddhist specializing in the application of Buddhist teachings to emotional healing.[2] Her 2003 book, Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha, focuses on the use of practices such as mindfulness for healing trauma. Her 2013 book, True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart, offers practices for tapping into inner peace and wisdom in the midst of difficulty.

        Bows,