Thursday Zen

  • John Daniewicz
    Message 1 of 131 , Apr 17, 2013
      This Thursday, we will do the Spring version of The Four Seasons. To do this, we will first meet in Room 109. Then for the first meditation period, we will go outside to do a walking meditation on the Live Oak labyrinth. After that, we will do the second meditation sitting in Room 109.
      The next chapter from "If You're Lucky, Your Heart Will Break" that we will read and discuss is called, "Shikantaza" which means Just Sitting.
      So wear some comfortable shoes for walking slowly!
      Bows,
      John
    • John Daniewicz
      Message 131 of 131 , Jun 13
        This Thursday, we will begin a try out of a Tara Brach book, "True Refuge." Ahe is of the Vipassana tradition which is part of Trevadan school.
        Here is some background info on her:

        Tara Brach (born May 17, 1953) is an American psychologist and proponent of Buddhist meditation. She is a guiding teacher and founder of the Insight Meditation Community of Washington, D.C. (IMCW).[1] Dr. Brach teaches their Wednesday night meeting in Bethesda, Maryland.[2][3] Her colleagues include Jack KornfieldSharon SalzbergJoseph Goldstein and others in the Vipassana or Insight meditation tradition.[4] Brach also teaches about Buddhist meditation at centers for meditation and yoga in the United States and Europe including Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California, the Kripalu Center,[5] and the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies.[6]

        Brach is an engaged Buddhist specializing in the application of Buddhist teachings to emotional healing.[2] Her 2003 book, Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha, focuses on the use of practices such as mindfulness for healing trauma. Her 2013 book, True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart, offers practices for tapping into inner peace and wisdom in the midst of difficulty.

        Bows,