Thursday Meditation

  • Jim Surles
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2013

      In reading from “If You’re Lucky, Your Heart Will Break” by James Ishmael Ford last week, we learned that having a spiritual practice often leaves us empty and wanting because we are expecting a world-changing experience each time.  The author, however, says that  when a practice leaves you feeling as though you will never accomplish the method you are seeking just relate your practice to the words of an old song that says,  “pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again” or, as one teacher once said, “Fall down nine times, get up ten.”  Start over, the author admonishes.  “That’s the practice.”

      So, come join us Thursday evening as we practice and then read the next chapter that the author has entitled “Beginning”. He relates how Shurnyu Suzuki liked to call and recall people to beginner’s mind, which he pointed out has within it many more possibilities than one will find in the mind of an expert.  John and Sue are enjoying long-time friends from out of town Thursday so will be unable to be with us.  Even though this is our first meeting in April and we usually enjoy fellowshipping together at Rudino’s after sitting we might delay that until the following week when John and Sue can join us.

      Jim Surles