Inner Critics Questionaire

  • John Daniewicz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2013
      Here is the link to the questionaire: www.psychemaps.com that I talked about last Thursday. At the website it says a bit about each of 7 typical types of inner critics.
      Inner critics are different types of "protectors" in the Internal Family System way of looking at our psyche. "Protectors" are protecting "exiles" who were usually formed during shaming incidents in our early life stages. The inner critic types are also illustrated and described further in "Illustrated Workbook for Self-Therapy for Your Inner Critic" by Bonnie Weiss, but more importantly, the whole IFS process of getting in contact with these protectors and exiles to calm them down is covered in the book, "Self-Therapy" by Jay Earley.

      In the intro to Self Therapy, there is this statement, "The IFS model is very respectful of the pain or trauma that we all carry. Despite the fact that IFS goes deep into the psyche in powerful ways, it never tries to barge past defenses . . . It is respectful of the parts of us that protect us from pain and only works with our deep issues after getting permission from all relevant parts. Therefore it is fairly safe to use on your own [or with a partner which is recommended]. However, this book is not a substitute for psychotherapy. Some people have experienced so much pain and trauma in their lives that their internal systems are sensitive, reactive, chaotic, unstable, or strongly conflicted. If you have this kind of internal family, doing IFS work could trigger intense emotional or physical reactions. You could become panicked or depressed when trying to work with your parts. The work could activate headaches, allergies, or other psychosomatic reactions . . . You might feel spaced out and confused in the middle of a session or afterwards. If you sense that responses like this could happen to you, it probably isn't safe for you to use IFS without the guidance of a psychotherapist. If you aren't sure, you can try the work in this book very carefully to find out, but if you have any unusual or intense reactions, it is a sign that you should be working with a therapist."
      Another consideration in the book:  "If you are dependent on a parent, guardian, or spouse who couldn't tolerate your changing the way you relate to him or her, doing IFS work on your own might not be advisable. It would be better for you to do IFS work under the guidance of a therapist, who could also work with the important people in your life." (Checking out the book reviews on Amazon might also be useful.)
      It is my hypothesis that most of us have been affected by such early incidents from a wide variety of sources -- parents; siblings; classmates; societal and church taboos; cultural ideals for body looks, race, creed, ethnicity, gender, and class as communicated via movies, TV shows, advertising, etc. I am interested if there are any major exceptions to this hypotesis. So, if you  take the questionnaire, let me know if you do not have much in the way of inner critics. As for myself, I scored 11 of 16 for perfectionist, task master, destroyer, and molder and 9 of 16 for inner controller (with a score of 1 being none and 16 being a great deal) -- so I have plenty of them.

      Cheers,
      John
      Untested

      www.psychemaps.com

      http://www.psychemaps.com

      Trend Micro has not yet tested this page, and cannot show a rating for it right now.

      Click here to check the URL yourself.

      Trend Micro Page Rating