Re: [liveoakzen] Live Oak Zen Thursday

  • Niranjan Sharma
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 8, 2013
      Mary you were missed. Feel better.  Hug.

      Karen's I-phone

      On Feb 7, 2013, at 8:21 PM, Mary Connor <maryconnor@...> wrote:

      So very sorry to come late and then run out on you guys tonight! I was feeling quite unwell. Guess I'll finish the book myself. :-(
      Mary

      On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM, John Daniewicz <layover3@...> wrote:

      This Thursday, Peg Syverson will join us to lead us in inquiry.

      Afterwards, let us resume the optional, first of the month visit to Rudino's.

      On our voting for the next book to read, beginning in about three weeks, the winner is, "If You're Luck, Your Heart Will Break: Field Notes From a Zen Life" by James Ishmael Ford ($12.27 or 9.89 at Amazon, $9.50 at Alibris). (The other two books received essentially the same score as the winner with only 1 point out of 15 separating them.)
      Cheers,
      John

    • John Daniewicz
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 21, 2013
        We were rained out last Thursday, so we will start off doing the Four Season's labyrinth walking meditation after we first meet up in RM 109. The next chapter's discussion of the precept on sexuality is interesting both from a historical view and from the telling of an old story.
        Bows,
        John
      • John Daniewicz
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 28, 2013
          Thursday for the reading/discussion, we will do, "Do Not Forget Your Family -- Seek Justice." An interesting discussion of a most difficult subject -- social justice.
          And we will try a new song. Wish I could send you the tune, but my computer MP3 skills aren't there.
          Bows,
          John

          And When We Rise

          And when we rise, let us rise,
          Like a bird – Joyfully!
          And when we fall, let us fall,
          Like a leaf –Gracefully!
          Without regrets.
          And when we stand, let us stand,
          Like a mountain – Solidly!
          And when we lay, let us lay,
          Like a babe – Calm and still.
          Reflecting all.
          And when we cry, let us cry,
          With a smile – All the while!
          And when we play, let us play,
          Like the ray – From the Sun,
          Rejoicingly! – Rejoicingly!
        • Mary Connor
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2013

            On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM, John Daniewicz <layover3@...> wrote:
            And when we rise, let us rise,
            Like a bird – Joyfully!

            Found it!

          • John Daniewicz
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2013
              Great! That is the good version!
              John

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2013
                That site has four recordings of Plum Village Monastery practice songs:

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 23, 2013
                  This Thursday, we will read two short chapters from "Going Home == Jesus and Buddha as Brothers. The first is on Birth and Death versus No Birth and No Death.
                  The second is on how To Be or Not to Be is not the question.
                  Bows,
                  John
                • John Daniewicz
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 8, 2014
                    This Thursday, we will explore Thay's chapters that explore spiritual beliefs and the guidance of "Be aware. If you meet the Buddha, kill him."
                    Bows,
                    John
                  • Betty Skwarek

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 15, 2014
                        This Thursday, Peg Syverson will be sitting with us.
                        Bows,
                        John
                      • John Daniewicz
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 23, 2014
                          For this Thursday, we will read and discuss 1 or 2 short Thich Nhat Hanh talks on happiness that go along with the saying, "no mud, no lotus."

                          In addition, we will work on a new song; and discuss maybe another way to do readings and discussion whereby at different times someone brings in  a section of a book that speaks to them to share with all.
                          Bows,
                          John
                        • Betty Skwarek

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 21, 2014
                              This Thursday, we will read and discuss the Thich Nhat Hanh chapter, "Going Back to One's Roots." We will also lead off by singing the song, "The Island of Self." This song reminds me of the last part of the gatha on hearing the bell, "Following the sound of the bell I go back to the island of Mindfulness and in the garden of my heart the flowers of peace bloom beautifully.

                              Here is a link to hear the song: https://soundcloud.com/tj-fool/island-of-self. Please listen to it since I will have a hard time leading this song. (Maybe Jeanie can help us with this). Here are the words to the song:

                              Breathing in,

                              I go back to the Island within myself.

                              There are beautiful trees

                              within the Island.

                              There are clear streams of water.

                              There are birds,

                              Sunshine and fresh air.

                              Breathing out, I feel safe.

                              I enjoy going back to my Island.

                              Bows,

                              John

                            • John Daniewicz
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 4, 2014
                              This Thursday, Karl will pick out for reading/discussion a section from "The Untethered Soul -- the Journey Beyond Yourself" by Michael Singer who is more out of the Yoga tradition. This is part of our sampling of different books to see which we will do next.

                              For the time after this, if you have a book that you like, please volunteer to bring a reading from it 8 days from now.

                              Attached and below is a listing of the books we have already read. From this list, consider which ones you might be able to contribute to the Live Oak library.
                              Bows,
                              John

                              Live Oak Zen Readings

                              1.      Joko Beck – “Every Day Zen”

                              2.      Mu Soeng – “The Heart Sutra”

                              3.      Rick Hansen & Richard Mendius – “Buddha’s Brain”

                              4.      Jack Kornfield – “A Path with Heart”

                              5.      Thich Nhat Hanh – “No Death, No Fear”

                              6.      Brazier – “The Feeling Buddha”

                              7.      James Ishmael Ford – “If You’re Lucky, Your Heart Will Break”

                              8.      Thich Nhat Hanh – “Going Home – Jesus and Buddha as Brothers”

                            • John Daniewicz
                              Message 15 of 19 , Aug 13, 2014
                                The next talk by Pema Chodron, talks about how to meditate per her tradition. Therefore, lets do her reading first so we can consider it during our two meditation periods after that.
                                Bows,
                                John
                              • John Daniewicz
                                Message 16 of 19 , Aug 20, 2014
                                  This Thursday, we will read and discuss Pema's next Chapter which is about "maitri" -- an approach to this practice:
                                  "What makes maitri such a different approach is that we are not trying to solve a problem. We are not striving to make pain go away or to become a better person. In fact we are giving up control altogether and letting concepts and ideals fall apart."
                                  It sounds good -- let's try to see how we do such a practice.
                                  Bows,
                                  John
                                • Mary Connor