Live Oak Zen

  • layover3@att.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 5, 2012

      This Thursday, the reading and discussion segment will go on to the first step on the eight fold path, Right View:

      “The Eightfold Path is an eight-step training in fire management. Right View enables us to see and deeply feel the suffering in the world, to notice our heartfelt response, to see the possibility for harnessing and directing that response. You have to be alert when you are playing with fire.”

      Hope you can come and help us understand this,

      John

    • Gail Dobrowski

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 23, 2013

            This Thursday, Karen will be bringing flowers and Karl will be leading us. In the book, The Feeling Buddha, the next chapter we will read and discuss is on the 8th of the 8 fold path, Right Samadhi. It is about having a vision, an inner experience that is uniquely one’s own, coming from a spontaneous source, which shows a true path, and which has an actual effect on one’s life.

            Coming up, for the week after this on January 31, we will be doing walking meditation outside in the labyrinth for the second half of the meeting and the following week on February 7, Peg Syverson will be visiting us and leading us in Inquiry. Below I have included a message on Gratitude Practice  by Terry Cortes-Vega of Plum Blossom Sangha that you might consider which is based on the work of Thich Nhat Hanh (Thay).

            Bows,

            John

            Dear Friends,
            Last night we explored the practice of gratitude.  Some friends asked that I share with you a gratitude practice that you can enjoy "in the beginning," "in the middle" and "in the end."

            Gratitude in the beginning:
            Before you get out of bed in the morning, recite this gatha:
            Waking up this morning, I smile.
            24 brand new hours are before me.
            I vow to live them in mindfulness.
            I vow to greet each being with the eyes of compassion.

            Gratitude in the middle:
            Arrange for a Mindfulness Bell to sing every 30 minutes throughout the day.  (You can use a clock that chimes or program your computer or iphone:  Insight Timer for iphone at the app store: $1.99 or Mindfulness Bell $.99 Mindful Clock, works with Windows 95-and-up version 2.2 from: www.mindfulnessdc.org).  Every time you hear the bell, stop what you are doing and practice Gratitude 2 Ways:  in that specific moment, notice what you are grateful for that you have and what you are grateful for that you do not have. (Thay's example is a toothache.)

            Gratitude in the end:
            Practice Cosmic Gratitude: in the evening choose an item in your space--the TV, the view outside the window, your cat, your clothes, the toilet, an apple, your beloved...anything.  Reflect on all the people, hard work, materials, skills, natural phenomena, etc. that contributed to creating and distributing that object to you---from the raw material to the finished product.
            If you really think it through you’ll notice that the whole cosmos--everything in the world-- had to come together for you to see that object.  Take a few moments to appreciate all those people, efforts, natural phenomena, skills and materials.

            Before you go to bed, practice The 5 Gratitudes: make a written list of 5 things you are happy that you have and/or things that you are happy that you do not have.  It is important to write them down because you’re going to add to your list every evening.  You don’t want to repeat yourself.  I found that my list began with pretty obvious things--I’m grateful for my health, Gustavo, my kids and grandkids, my house, my friends....but as I continued, I looked a little deeper.

            As you go to sleep, enjoy Gratitude Deep Relaxation. (An example from Thay: After you breathe in and out slowly for several breaths and your whole body is relaxed, "..when you breathe in become aware of your two feet.  As you breathe out, allow your two feet to relax.  Breathing in, send your love to your feet; breathing out, smile to your feet.  As you breathe in and out, know how wonderful it is to have two feet that allow you to walk, run, play sports, drive, dance and do so many other activities through out the day.  Send your gratitude to your two feet for always being there for you whenever you need them."  You can do the same for other parts of your body.)

            Thich Nhat Hanh
            “If you live in awareness, it is easy to see miracles are everywhere.”

            Enjoy!
            _()_
            terry

          • Gail Dobrowski

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 23, 2013
                Hi, Gail.  To orient you.  This link shows the church buildings to the left of the labyrinth. Connie

                http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3315+El+Salido+Parkway+Cedar+Park&hl=en&ll=30.460164,-97.826776&spn=0.000844,0.000874&sll=30.358656,-97.833252&sspn=0.229887,0.426064&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=20

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 5, 2013
                  Sue and I saw the movie: "Happy" the other day from NetFlix about the most important factors that make us feel happy. Along with positive factors such as having community and friends and doing aerobic training, they also reported on the benefits of doing loving-kindness meditation. For example, see http://www.news.wisc.edu/14944.
                  So, this Thursday, during our meditation periods, let's spend time doing this type of meditation! We will remind all of the basics beforehand.

                  The next chapter for read/discuss is "Only, Don't Know", (which is very hard for all us intellectuals). I will also bring along a Thich Nhat Hanh discussion about this which is one of his key mindfulness trainings.

                  This Sunday, June 9 at 6:30 PM at the Live Oak labyrinth, there is a going away party for Ann Miller. She used to sit with us until her health started making it difficult. Please attend if you know her. We wish her the best.
                  Bows,
                  John
                • John Daniewicz
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 9, 2013
                    This Thursday, we will start to read and discuss the Thich Naht Hanh book, "Going Home -- Jesus and Buddha as Brothers." We will start with the Introduction which sets the stage of describing Plum Village in France and of Thay coming in on Christmas Eve to give a Dharma talk. And then, as time allows, we will hear the beginning of that talk in the chapter, "Birth of Understanding."
                    Cheers,
                    John
                  • Yahoo Shared

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 26, 2014
                        Tomorrow, we will shorten the 2nd sitting a bit so that we can watch a 45 minute video of Thich Nhat Hanh talking about the different ways of doing a mindful meditation while following the breath. It is good to also see and hear him give a talk.
                        Bows,
                        John
                      • John Daniewicz
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2 2:01 PM
                          For this Thursday, let's do the Spring walk of the Labyrinth as part of the Four Seasons. We will first meet up in RM 109 and then do the Labyrinth as the first 20 minute period. For the second period, as we sit, I will take you through a "Guided Meditation" on Looking Deeply and Healing to help find a balance around feelings. Afterwards, we will read and discuss Thay's notes on this guided meditation.

                          Peg will be visiting us on April 17.
                          Bows,
                          John
                        • John Daniewicz
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 9, 2014
                            The voting for the book was very much in favor of Pema Chodron's "When Things Fall Apart." (Pema 15, Tara 6, Ezra 4, Michael Singer 3, Zinn 1) So for this Thursday, let's start on Pema's book if someone can bring a copy.
                            Cheers,
                            John
                          • John Daniewicz
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 16, 2014
                              This Thursday, we will start reading Pema if someone has a book by then. Otherwise we will do another chapter out of Ezra's on how to meditate.
                              Bows,
                              John
                            • Mary Connor
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 16, 2014
                                I'm still looking for my copy, but I do have Pema's little book, Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change, in my car:

                                On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM, John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen] <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                This Thursday, we will start reading Pema if someone has a book by then. Otherwise we will do another chapter out of Ezra's on how to meditate.
                                Bows,
                                John

                              • Betty Skwarek

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 12, 2014
                                    This Thursday, we will learn about doing Tonglen both for others in suffering and for ourselves when we are in anger or pain. "It is a method for overcoming our fear of suffering and for dissolving the tightness of our hearts. . . . Tonglen reverses the usual logic of avoiding suffering and seeking pleasure. In the process we become liberated from very ancient patterns of selfishness."
                                    Bows,
                                    John
                                  • John Daniewicz
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 3, 2014
                                      This Thursday, we will read and discuss the second half of the chapter, "Servants of Peace," which will discuss the last four of the five Paramitas ( discipline, patience, exertion, and meditation)  that are all supported by prajna (which I think of as intuitive wisdom).

                                      This chapter helps to explain the term prajnaparamita which is a key part of the important yet difficult ending of the Heart Sutra:

                                      "All Buddhas in the past, present and future have attained Supreme Enlightenment by relying on the Prajnaparamita. Therefore we know that the Prajnaparamita is the great magic Mantra, the great Mantra of illumination, it is the supreme Mantra, the unequaled Mantra which can truly wipe out all suffering without fail."
                                      Therefore, he uttered the Prajnaparamita mantra, by saying:
                                      "Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasemgate Bodhi-svaha!"
                                      (Which means...Gone, gone, gone over, gone fully over to the other shore. Awakened! So be it!)

                                      This second half of the chapter will complement the first Paramita, generosity, which we discussed last time.
                                      Bows,
                                      John
                                    • John Daniewicz
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 7
                                        Happy New Year!
                                        Let's start it off with some good meditations this Thursday. Afterwards, we will be going to Rudino's. The Reading/Discussion from Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart  is on Three Ways to Work with Chaos. She says, "These methods instruct us to move toward difficulties rather than backing away. We don't get this kind of encouragement very often.
                                        Very Cheery!
                                        John
                                      • John Daniewicz
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 14
                                          This Thursday we will read and discuss, "The Trick of Choicelessness." from Pema's Chapter 20. Get ready for a wake up call:
                                           "To what do we really commit ourselves? Is it to playing it safe and manipulating our life and our whole world, so that it will give us security and confirmation? Or is our commitment to deeper and deeper levels of maitri (unconditional friendliness to oneself)?  . . . Do we take refuge in small, self-satisfied actions, speech, and mind? Or do we take refuge in warriorship, in taking a leap, in going beyond our usual safety zones?"

                                          (This book ends at Chapter 22. Think about what book you would think we should read and discuss next.)
                                          Bows,
                                          John
                                        • Mary Connor
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 14

                                            On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM, John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen] <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                            Think about what book you would think we should read and discuss next

                                            For Christmas I got Ayya Khema's classic, "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere," which (so far) is wonderfully accessible and arresting. She's a Theravadan nun, like Pema. Her biography is astonishing. I'll bring it in if anyone wants to thumb through it....

                                            peace, Mary
                                          • John Daniewicz
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 22
                                              Tonight the reading and discussion is on "Reversing the Wheel of Samsara."  It is about changing our habitual patterns - especially the ones driven by our childhood views of ourselves as not good enough.

                                              "That's what the dharma is about; turning all our habits around, reversing the process of how we make everything so solid, reversing the wheel of samsara. It starts with catching ourselves when we spin off in the same old ways. Usually we feel that there's a large problem and we have to fix it. The instruction is to stop. Do something unfamiliar. Do anything besides rushing off in the same old direction, up to the same old tricks.
                                              My experience is that this is how our thoughts begin to slow down. Magically, it seems that there's a lot more space to breathe, a lot more room to dance, and a lot more happiness."

                                              Bows,
                                              John

                                              p.s. Consider what book we might read and discuss next.
                                            • John Daniewicz