Live Oak Zen Updates

  • layover3@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 9:22 AM

      Loving Kindness Meditation – In talking with Peg Syverson about this practice, she had only one caution.  On the version for one’s self, she said that there can be a tendency to try to attain something and for this reason Joko Beck avoids teaching this practice.  With the phrase, “May I be filled with loving kindness,  one can consider this to be a filling from the outside, but this would be incorrect.  Rather, this loving kindness is inherently already within each of us so that the filling with loving kindness is referring to an awakening to its presence and letting it blossom within.  What has been holding it back is our mental social conditioning with its anxieties, cautions, and fears.  In a translation of the Heart Sutra by Red Pine, there is the phase, “no attainment and no non attainment.  Therefore, Shariputra, without attainment, bodhisattvas take refuge in Prajnaparamita and live without walls of the mind.”

      This Thursday:

      ·         We will be reading Chapter 2 of Jack Kornfield’s “A Path With Heart” titled, “Stopping the War”, which is about the war within.

      ·         Since it is the first Thursday of the month, there is the option for going to Rudino’s afterwards for a drink, snack, and conversation.

      Cheers,