912Re: [liveoakzen] Fwd: Live Oak Zen Next Book Ballot [1 Attachment]

  • Yahoo Shared
    Jul 8, 2014

      Karen's I-phone

      On Jul 8, 2014, at 12:56 PM, "John Daniewicz layover3@... [liveoakzen]" <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The Survey Monkey votes are anonymous so I can't figure out your votet if you only sent it to there.
      So far, I have received votes from Karl and Jeanne.
      For everyone else, please send me your votes directly -- even if you have already sent your votes to Survey Monkey..
      Thanks,
      John

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: John Daniewicz <layover3@...>
      Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM
      Subject: Live Oak Zen Next Book Ballot
      To: LiveOakZen <liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com>

      Below and attached is the Amazon description of the five books we have recently auditioned for our next study and discussion.

      Please vote which is your first, second, and third choice using the following list as a ballot. This in the order in which we read them. First place votes will be given a score of 5, second place votes a score of 3, and third place votes a score of 1.
      • Michael Singer "The Untethered Soul"
      • Pema Chodron "When Things Fall Apart"
      • Jon Kabat Zinn "Full Catastrophe Living"
      • Ezra Bada "Being Zen"
      • Tara Brach "Radical Acceptance"

      Cheers,

      John

      5 Choices for Our Next Book to Read and Discuss

      Michael Singer “The Untethered Soul – The Journey Behind Yourself”

      What would it be like to free yourself from limitations and soar beyond your boundaries? What can you do each day to discover inner peace and serenity? The Untethered Soul—now a #1 New York Times bestseller—offers simple yet profound answers to these questions.

      Whether this is your first exploration of inner space, or you’ve devoted your life to the inward journey, this book will transform your relationship with yourself and the world around you. You’ll discover what you can do to put an end to the habitual thoughts and emotions that limit your consciousness. By tapping into traditions of meditation and mindfulness, author and spiritual teacher Michael A. Singer shows how the development of consciousness can enable us all to dwell in the present moment and let go of painful thoughts and memories that keep us from achieving happiness and self-realization.

      Copublished with the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) The Untethered Soul begins by walking you through your relationship with your thoughts and emotions, helping you uncover the source and fluctuations of your inner energy. It then delves into what you can do to free yourself from the habitual thoughts, emotions, and energy patterns that limit your consciousness. Finally, with perfect clarity, this book opens the door to a life lived in the freedom of your innermost being.

      Pema Chodron “When Things Fall Apart – Heart Advice for Difficult Times”

      Much like Zen, Pema Chodron's interpretation of Tibetan Buddhism takes the form of a nontheistic spiritualism. In When Things Fall Apart this head of a Tibetan monastery in Canada outlines some relevant and deceptively profound terms of Tibetan Buddhism that are germane to modern issues. The key to all of these terms is accepting that in the final analysis, life is groundless. By letting go, we free ourselves to face fear and obstacles and offer ourselves unflinchingly to others. The graceful, conversational tone of Chodron's writing gives the impression of sitting on a pillow across from her, listening to her everyday examples of Buddhist wisdom.

      Pema Chodron, a student of Chogyam Trunpa Rinpoche and Abbot of Gampo Abbey, has written the Tibetan Buddhist equivalent of Harold Kushner's famous book, When Bad Things Happen to Good People. As the author indicates in the postscript to her book: "We live in difficult times. One senses a possibility they may get worse." Consequently, Chodron's book is filled with useful advice about how Buddhism helps readers to cope with the grim realities of modern life, including fear, despair, rage and the feeling that we are not in control of our lives.

      Jon Kabat Zinn “Full Catastrophe Living -- Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness”

      Stress. It can sap our energy, undermine  our health if we let it, even shorten our lives. It makes us more vulnerable to anxiety and depression, disconnection and disease. Based on Jon Kabat-Zinn’s renowned mindfulness-based stress reduction program, this classic, groundbreaking work—which gave rise to a whole new field in medicine and psychology—shows you how to use medically proven mind-body approaches derived from meditation and yoga to counteract stress, establish greater balance of body and mind, and stimulate well-being and healing. By engaging in these mindfulness practices and integrating them into your life from moment to moment and from day to day, you can learn to manage chronic pain, promote optimal healing, reduce anxiety and feelings of panic, and improve the overall quality of your life, relationships, and social networks. This second edition features results from recent studies on the science of mindfulness, a new Introduction, up-to-date statistics, and an extensive updated reading list. Full Catastrophe Living is a book for the young and the old, the well and the ill, and anyone trying to live a healthier and saner life in our fast-paced world.

      Ezra Bada “Being Zen – Bringing Meditation to Life”

      We can use whatever life presents, Ezra Bayda teaches, to strengthen our spiritual practice—including the turmoil of daily life. What we need is the willingness to just be with our experiences—whether they are painful or pleasing—opening ourselves to the reality of our lives without trying to fix or change anything. But doing this requires that we confront our most deeply rooted fears and assumptions in order to gradually become free of the constrictions and suffering they create. Then we can awaken to the loving-kindness that is at the heart of our being.

      While many books aspire to bring meditation into everyday experience, Being Zen gives us practical ways to actually do it, introducing techniques that enable the reader to foster qualities essential to continued spiritual awakening. Topics include how to cultivate:

         •  Perseverance: staying with anger, fear, and other distressing emotions.
         •  Stillness: abiding with chaotic experiences without becoming overwhelmed.
         •  Clarity: seeing through the conditioned beliefs and fears that "run" us.
         •  Direct experience: encountering the physical reality of the present moment—even when that moment is exactly where we don't want to be.

      Like Pema Chödrön, the best-selling author of When Things Fall Apart, Ezra Bayda writes with clear, heartfelt simplicity, using his own life stories to illustrate the teachings in an immediate and accessible way that will appeal to a broad spectrum of readers.

      Tara Brach “Radical Acceptance – Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha”

      For many of us, feelings of deficiency are right around the corner. It doesn’t take much--just hearing of someone else’s accomplishments, being criticized, getting into an argument, making a mistake at work--to make us feel that we are not okay. Beginning to understand how our lives have become ensnared in this trance of unworthiness is our first step toward reconnecting with who we really are and what it means to live fully.
      --from Radical Acceptance

      Radical Acceptance

      “Believing that something is wrong with us is a deep and tenacious suffering,” says Tara Brach at the start of this illuminating book. This suffering emerges in crippling self-judgments and conflicts in our relationships, in addictions and perfectionism, in loneliness and overwork--all the forces that keep our lives constricted and unfulfilled. Radical Acceptance offers a path to freedom, including the day-to-day practical guidance developed over Dr. Brach’s twenty years of work with therapy clients and Buddhist students.

      Writing with great warmth and clarity, Tara Brach brings her teachings alive through personal stories and case histories, fresh interpretations of Buddhist tales, and guided meditations. Step by step, she leads us to trust our innate goodness, showing how we can develop the balance of clear-sightedness and compassion that is the essence of
      Radical Acceptance. Radical Acceptance does not mean self-indulgence or passivity. Instead it empowers genuine change: healing fear and shame and helping to build loving, authentic relationships. When we stop being at war with ourselves, we are free to live fully every precious moment of our lives.

      Attachment(s) from John Daniewicz | View attachments on the web

      1 of 1 File(s)

      Posted by: John Daniewicz <layover3@...>