      From: liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com [mailto:liveoakzen@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Daniewicz
      Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 1:38 PM
      To: LiveOakZen
      Cc: Gale Spear; Nhu-Mai Nguyen
      Subject: [liveoakzen] Fwd: [pbsangha] Registration is Open for our April Retreat!

      This is to get you thinking about attending a Zen retreat in the Thich Nhat Hanh tradition here in Austin. As described below it is a short three day retreat -- Friday evening April 11, all Saturday, and Sunday April 13 up until around 2:00 PM. Very importantly, it is a residential retreat so that you stay at the retreat center instead of going home each night. I have attended many non-residential retreats and only last year did I attend this annual, Austin Thich Nhat Hanh residential retreat; and the difference in impact was quite amazing -- just because there are no interruptions.
      The Thich Nhat Hanh spirit of this retreat is also very different from the Zen retreats I know from the Japanese tradition. Instead of very heavy emphasis on a lot of sitting meditation, this only happens about 4 or 5 times total for all 3 days and it is only in 20 minute increments. Instead, there are many other mindfulness practices such as walking meditations, deep relaxation meditation, mild yoga exercises, small "family" discussion groups that get together for sharing on all three days, mindful eating, and just mindful, smiling acknowledgment as we pass each other on the paths. Out of these many and diverse mindfulness practices comes a deep feeling of peace and connectedness with all life, which is in the spirit of Thich Nhat Hanh's and the Buddha's teachings.
      Many experienced practitioners from around the U.S. attend this retreat which give it a solid underpinning.

      Sue and I are planning to attend, and I hope you can make it. If enough of us do so, we can consider whether or not we want to have some time together at the retreat such as in one of the small family discussion groups.

      Bows,

      John