DIY Dividing Head Question

  • e3pi
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004
      I've zero experience with dividing heads, but I am excited with
      their 40: 60:1 precision leverage and ease for general dividing the
      circle; and possibly used for linear ruling too; I imagine.

      I've a Dayton 24:1 Gear Reducer.
      This has helical gears with negligial backlash that I can tell.

      It is small enough to be "Taigable".

      From reading I see 60:1; 40:1 are common for dividing head worm gears.

      Note also worm gears lock position on the non-"pinion" main gear
      axel - i.e.; the main gear angular displacement cannot drive the
      "pinion" or "worm" - which is a benefit for machinery set up.
      This Dayon gear reducer will drive either axel; i.e., 24:1 or 1:24;
      as desired. This could be a problem.

      So aside from half to a third the precision of other DH's - is this
      a reasonable source on the start of my first DIY dividing head?