Baptismal Identity -- Help!

  • oblate21
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
      Hello all.

      This fall I'm beginning work for a research paper on the topic
      of "Baptismal Identity and the Identity Crisis of Modern
      Christians". (I'm still not settled on that title.)

      First, I'd appreciate any ideas for possible resources/readings.
      Thank you.

      Second, I'd be interested in seeing what Luther had to say on the
      topic of baptism and or the topic of Christian identity. If someone,
      (Pastor Senn?) could point me to the appropriate volumes of Luther's
      works, I would mightily appreciate it. I'm specifically trying to
      locate a quote of Luther, some thing to the effect of, "Christian,
      forget not whose body you were baptised into."

      Thanks,
      Cody Unterseher
    • Dave Totsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2002
        > Second, I'd be interested in seeing what Luther had to say on the
        > topic of baptism and or the topic of Christian identity. If someone,
        > (Pastor Senn?) could point me to the appropriate volumes of Luther's
        > works, I would mightily appreciate it. I'm specifically trying to
        > locate a quote of Luther, some thing to the effect of, "Christian,
        > forget not whose body you were baptised into."
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Cody Unterseher

        For Luther and baptism, you might want to check out Jonathan D. Trigg,
        "Baptism in the Theology of Martin Luther." Brill has recently released it
        in the paperback edition.

        Dave Totsky
      • fcsenn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2002
          In a message dated 7/5/2002 6:49:59 PM Central Standard Time,
          oblate21@... writes:

          > Second, I'd be interested in seeing what Luther had to say on the
          > topic of baptism and or the topic of Christian identity. If someone,
          > (Pastor Senn?) could point me to the appropriate volumes of Luther's
          > works, I would mightily appreciate it. I'm specifically trying to
          > locate a quote of Luther, some thing to the effect of, "Christian,
          > forget not whose body you were baptised into."

          For Luther baptism was the basis of Christian life, which includes the
          doctrines of vocation and the priesthood of all believers. Of course, this
          involved polemics in his early reformatory writings against a special status
          before God for priests and monks. But what he wrote in the "Open Letter to
          the Christian Nobility of the German Nation," "The Babylonian Captivity of
          the Church," and "The Freedom of the Christian" (sometimes translated "On
          Christian Liberty") are foundational. Look also to "The Large Catechism," on
          the fourth commandment as well as on baptism. This will be a start.

          FCSenn