course in miracles

  • sharon brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
      i know this is a very non-liturgical question, but i'm not sure what other
      group of folk i know and trust as much as all of you to ask this of -

      i saw a 30 minute show on pbs today called "the visionaries" which featured
      "a course in miracles."

      i'm sure you've heard of it, and know more about it than i do.

      it sounds intriguing - do you think i'd benefit from exploring it?

      obviously, feel free to answer off-list if you like.

      thanks,

      Soli Deo Gloria!

      sharon, osb
      a.k.a.
      sarge

      "disability is not the same as inability!"

    • bpglenn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        Unless you are turned on by New Age religion I would leave the Course in
        Miracles alone. From their website section title, "What it Says" comes
        this paragraph:

        The world we see merely reflects our own internal frame
        of reference—the dominant ideas, wishes and emotions in
        our minds.
        "Projection makes perception" (Text, p. 445). We look inside first,
        decide the kind of world we want to see and then project that world
        outside,
        making it the truth as we see it. We make it true by our
        interpretations of
        what it is we are seeing. If we are using perception to justify our
        own
        mistakes—our anger, our impulses to attack, our lack of love in
        whatever
        form it may take—we will see a world of evil, destruction,
        malice, envy
        "good" and "charitable," but because what we are seeing is not true. We
        have distorted the world by our twisted defenses, and are therefore
        seeing what is not there. As we learn to recognize our perceptual
        errors,
        we also learn to look past them or "forgive." At the same time we are
        forgiving ourselves, looking past our distorted self-concepts to the
        Self
        That God created in us and as us.

        and the whole course sounds like that. I would find the course a waste
        of time and I'm afraid that some folks replace their Christtian faith
        with this stuff. In our area this course is taught by the
        Unitarian-Universal Church and The Church of Religous Science.

        +Glenn

        sharon brown wrote:

        > i know this is a very non-liturgical question, but i'm not sure what other
        > group of folk i know and trust as much as all of you to ask this of -
        >
        > i saw a 30 minute show on pbs today called "the visionaries" which featured
        > "a course in miracles."
        >
        > i'm sure you've heard of it, and know more about it than i do.
        >
        > it sounds intriguing - do you think i'd benefit from exploring it?
        >
        > obviously, feel free to answer off-list if you like.
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > Soli Deo Gloria!
        >
        > sharon, osb
        > a.k.a.
        > sarge
        >
        > "disability is not the same as inability!"

        > To write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:

      • M. Thannisch
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
          Dear Glenn,

          Good recommendation. I would like to add a bit though. It is of extreme
          importance that we teach all the faith. Many Christians have been misled by
          this garbage. People are fascinated by meditation etc. Please give your
          youth and young (and old ) adults the Christian alternatives. In Christian
          Meditation we fill out minds with Christ instead of emptying ourselves.
          People also need to hear about (and practice) Christian healing.

          If you are not up on these, there is lots of good info. I personally
          recommend Agnes Sanford as a beginning. Her books are clear and concise.
          The only one that I remember having anything approaching heresy was her
          spiritual autobiography (but she was quite old when she wrote that) If you
          have a study group, you can discuss it. Agnes Sanford for those not in the
          know was the daughter of Presbyterian Missionaries to China. She married an
          Episcopal Missionary to China, and began a healing ministry in the Episcopal
          church that has spread out to other mainline communions.

          Shalom in Yeshua ha Moshiach

          Michael Joe Thannisch
          mjthan@...

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/