Re: July 1 & July 4

  • Ron Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2002
      There is also an interesting contrast between our current collect for
      Thanksgiving Day and that in earlier American books.
      1979
      Almighty and gracious Father, we give you thanks for the
      fruits of the earth in their season and for the labors of those
      who harvest them. Make us, we pray, faithful stewards of
      your great bounty, for the provision of our necessities and
      the relief of all who are in need, to the glory of your Name;
      through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with
      you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

      1928
      O Most merciful Father, who hast blessed the labours of the husbandman
      in the returns of the fruits of the earth; We give thee humble and hearty
      thanks
      for this thy bounty; beseeching thee to continue thy loving-kindness to us
      that our land may still yield her increase, to thy glory and our comfort;
      through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

      At 04:26 PM 6/30/02 -0400, Douglas Cowling wrote:
      >Each July, I post the collects which our prayer books give to our respective
      >national holidays. They provide an interesting reflection of our national
      >characters: Canadians speak of authority, harmony and obedience, Americans
      >of liberty, freedom and peace. I've often thought that we could each use a
      >little of the others.

      -----
      Ron Miller, Baltimore, MD (The Rev. Ronald H.) Coordinator
      Associated Parishes for Liturgy and Mission
      http://www.associatedparishes.org
      Committed to Church Renewal since 1946
    • asteresplanetai
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        Blessed be God.

        > From: Ron Miller <rh.miller@...>

        > There is also an interesting contrast between our current collect for
        > Thanksgiving Day and that in earlier American books.

        > 1928

        > that our land may still yield her increase, to thy glory and our comfort;

        > 1979

        > Make us, we pray, faithful stewards of
        > your great bounty, for the provision of our necessities and
        > the relief of all who are in need, to the glory of your Name;

        Edifying change! By the way, I wonder if any of you know that
        President Lincoln, in instituting T-day, had called for a day of
        *fasting and prayer*?

        Regards,

        John Burnett