Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Introduction

  • John Seboldt
    Message 1 of 171 , Jun 9, 2002
      At 08:45 PM 6/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
      >Thanks for the clarification.
      >
      >In answer to the effect of Vatican-2 on liturgical settings of the Mass
      >Ordinary
      >in the classical polyphonic sense: profound and largely negative.
      >
      >In their place are a lot of Mass Ordinaries for the assembly to sing, often
      >written to be embellished by a choir, and unfortunately many of them
      >are not of high quality.

      I wonder if this is any different from the "polyphonic" era. Not everybody
      was a Palestrina or Ockeghem or Victoria, or even a Vivaldi! There was a
      lot of poor utilitarian polyphonic choral "ordinary" mass music written
      before Vatican II. I know - I've experienced some of it in perusing past
      choral libraries, and even accompanied some in kind of a sentimental
      anniversary concert I helped out with in a parish.

      John Seboldt
      Milwaukee
    • James
      Message 171 of 171 , Sep 5, 2011
        Welcome, Emil!
        You might also peruse the Yahoo Occidentalis list, which is somewhat dedicated to the Sarum rite.

        Rdr. James Morgan