Re: [liturgy-l] a few odds and ends from Cardinal Medina's letter

  • David Waller
    Message 1 of 28 , May 2 1:54 PM
      Is the text of the letter available on the web?

      Message 2 of 28 , May 2 2:13 PM

        --
        Daniel Lawson dlawson1@...
        Maintainer of Daily Office web site, http://www.nd.edu/~dlawson1/office.html
        Message 3 of 28 , May 3 12:30 AM
          I also found Thomas' three points interesting. As he knows from
          another forum where we have met, I'm a big fan of the dependent
          clauses in the collects, but had pretty much despaired of ever seeing
          them return in the English translations. So I'm glad to see that they
          have another chance. Likewise, I'm happy with the retention of the
          traditional text of the Lord's Prayer.

          On the other hand, I find the bit about paten vs. plate and chalice
          vs. cup a bit silly. I can't believe that they are really proposing
          to have the institution narrative say "Likewise after supper he took
          the chalice. . ."? But this is in fact what the group CREDO proposes
          (see their proposed translation at http://www.credo.org/sample.htm),
          and I'm afraid some of them may have the ear of Medina. If they want
          the rubrics to say "chalice," fine. But in the context of the
          institution narrative I think this would be a highly misleading
          translation.

          F Bauerschmidt
          Message 4 of 28 , May 3 8:36 AM
            on 5/3/02 3:30 AM, fbauerschmidt at fbauerschmidt@... wrote:

            > On the other hand, I find the bit about paten vs. plate and chalice
            > vs. cup a bit silly. I can't believe that they are really proposing
            > to have the institution narrative say "Likewise after supper he took
            > the chalice. . ."? But this is in fact what the group CREDO proposes
            > (see their proposed translation at http://www.credo.org/sample.htm),
            > and I'm afraid some of them may have the ear of Medina. If they want
            > the rubrics to say "chalice," fine. But in the context of the
            > institution narrative I think this would be a highly misleading
            > translation.
            >
            > F Bauerschmidt

            I was surprised: the CREDO translation is pretty good. However, there are
            plenty examples where exact translation does not produce modern English.

            To translate "in sanctas ac venerabiles manus suas" as "into His holy and
            venerable hands" is to ignore that "venerable" now measn "old, ancient" in
            modern usage. Christ sounds positively dottery.

            "Offerte vobis pacem" as "Offer the peace to one another" sounds pretty
            cranky to me.

            Using "chalice" is just plain wrong. There is a historic difference between
            a "cup" and a "chalice".

            One doesn't expect inclusive language from this group, but why the archaic
            "brethern" for "fratres"? But even this group can't ignore the changes in
            gender terminology. "et operis manuum hominum" is translated "and the work
            of human hands"

            I'm curious about the Tudor language Lord's Prayer. In the Anglican Church
            at least, people use both versions without much problem now. Certainly
            catholics can pick it up easily.

            Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
            Church of the Messiah
            Message 5 of 28 , May 3 10:46 AM
              --- Douglas Cowling <dcowling@...> wrote:
              > I'm curious about the Tudor language Lord's Prayer.
              > In the Anglican Church
              > at least, people use both versions without much
              > problem now. Certainly
              > catholics can pick it up easily.

              I rather doubt it. Roman Catholics who pray the
              Rosary and novenas have said the traditional Lord's
              Prayer (or the second half of it, if praying with a
              group) hundreds or thousands of times more than most
              Anglicans. It's automatic, even subconscious, and
              would be hard to change, methinks. Not impossible, though.

              =====
              Scott Knitter - zz4j9m@... - Chicago, Illinois USA

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • Thomas R. Jackson
              Message 6 of 28 , May 3 11:09 AM

                >I rather doubt it. Roman Catholics who pray the
                >Rosary and novenas have said the traditional Lord's
                >Prayer (or the second half of it, if praying with a
                >group) hundreds or thousands of times more than most
                >Anglicans. It's automatic, even subconscious, and
                >would be hard to change, methinks. Not impossible, though.

                perhaps, but it is hard to imagine why one would want to. We were talking
                about common liturgical language earlier. It is hard to find any prayer
                text which so many English speaking Christians can share. Other than the
                usual stumble over the doxology, I can start up that prayer with just about
                any group and be assured a truly communal prayer experience. Messing with
                it has to be one of the poorest conceived of liturgical changes, ISTM.

                thomas.
              • fbauerschmidt
                Message 7 of 28 , May 3 3:01 PM
                  --- In liturgy-l@y..., "Thomas R. Jackson" <thomas@l...> wrote:
                  >It is hard to find any prayer
                  > text which so many English speaking Christians can share. Other
                  than the
                  > usual stumble over the doxology, I can start up that prayer with
                  just about
                  > any group and be assured a truly communal prayer experience.
                  Messing with
                  > it has to be one of the poorest conceived of liturgical changes,
                  ISTM.

                  I wish that there was a common translation of the Our Father in the
                  Dutch speaking world. Believe it or not, here in Belgium they use one
                  version and in Holland they use another. And these are two tiny
                  countries right next to each other! It get's very confusing.

                  F Bauerschmidt
                • asteresplanetai
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 3 6:32 PM
                    Blessed be God.

                    > From: "Thomas R. Jackson" <thomas@...>
                    > Subject: Re: CREDO translation
                    >

                    > >I rather doubt it. Roman Catholics who pray the
                    > >Rosary and novenas have said the traditional Lord's
                    > >Prayer (or the second half of it, if praying with a
                    > >group) hundreds or thousands of times more than most
                    > >Anglicans. It's automatic, even subconscious, and
                    > >would be hard to change, methinks. Not impossible, though.
                    >
                    > perhaps, but it is hard to imagine why one would want to. We were talking
                    > about common liturgical language earlier. It is hard to find any prayer
                    > text which so many English speaking Christians can share. Other than the
                    > usual stumble over the doxology, I can start up that prayer with just about
                    > any group and be assured a truly communal prayer experience. Messing with
                    > it has to be one of the poorest conceived of liturgical changes, ISTM.

                    Yes but parts of it don't mean much any more. "Hollowed"? "Lead us not
                    into temptation"?

                    Not to mention the difference between forgiving somebody for
                    trespassing on the land that still remains yours after you've been so
                    generous, and forgiving them something they owe you.

                    Regards,

                    John Burnett
                  • fcsenn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 3 8:00 PM
                      In a message dated 5/3/2002 8:27:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
                      asteresplanetai@... writes:

                      > Yes but parts of it don't mean much any more. "Hollowed"? "Lead us not
                      > into temptation"?
                      >
                      > Not to mention the difference between forgiving somebody for
                      > trespassing on the land that still remains yours after you've been so
                      > generous, and forgiving them something they owe you.

                      I think the above-mentioned parts of the Lord's Prayer MEAN something. The
                      question is whether by these translations we express the MEANING of the
                      biblical text. It is quite likely that the biblical text is infused with
                      eschatological, even apocalyptic, notions. Thus there would be a difference
                      between withstanding moral temptation and the test to which one's faith is
                      put in persecution. The forgiveness imagined in the biblical text might be
                      in reference to the jubilee, in which case "debts" are forgiven (ours owed to
                      God, what others owe to us) rather than "trespasses" or even "sins" in
                      general. So do we try to make the biblical sense plainer than it is or go
                      with what is familiar and comfortable? I suspect that if we considered their
                      original meanings, the petitions of the Lord's Prayer could make us very
                      uncomfortable.

                      FCSenn

                    • meh
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 5 6:37 AM
                        Dear Everyone,
                        I would like to chime in on the translation issue.
                        IMHO the point of all these words is that we are in relationship to God as
                        we are in relationship to each other. It does not matter how we express our
                        sin and faith as long as we know who and what we are. We are God's beloved
                        creation, given to lapses in faith, morals, whatever with God and creation.
                        We return to God and become whole with God and the creation when we live in
                        harmony with creation.
                        m.e. hill

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 5 10:08 AM
                          Ah, here is the rub. In defending the traditional English wording of the
                          Lord's Prayer, I never suggested that the translation is a good one, or
                          that it brings all the meaning of the original out, or that better
                          translations aren't possible. But I look at all the controversy about the
                          prayer and its translation, and I am not sure that getting all the meaning
                          and nuance is really an achievable goal for one, brief, memorized, English
                          language prayer. You might do better than the traditional text, but you
                          won't really get it right, an you will have to embalm one particular
                          reading to achieve the goal.

                          Cardinal Ratzinger wrote about this subject in one of his works when
                          talking about Latin versus vernacular. He pointed out that, while the use
                          of the vernacular was promoted so that people would understand the liturgy,
                          that simply saying the words in the vernacular did not in itself guarantee
                          a true spiritual understanding. He pointed out that some might actually
                          have a deeper understanding of what is being said praying in Latin than
                          many people do praying in the vernacular. His words were widely
                          misrepresented (as so many of his are), by both friend and foe as
                          expressing opposition to use of the vernacular, but that wasn't his point.

                          It seems to me that the traditional English wording of the Lord's Prayer is
                          an _idiom_ . Like all idioms, it means something more, even different
                          from, the plain words on the page. While the plain words that are recited
                          do convey some of the meaning of the prayer, I dare say that the greater
                          meaning is infused into it from our experience, our spiritual life, our
                          catechism, our theological training. I suspect that most Christians, even
                          the least formed, can give a reasonable accounting of its general
                          meaning. I suspect that a very large number can expand upon that basic
                          meaning from what they recall from homilies, Sunday School, reading,
                          personal reflection. I am very doubtful that any change in the standard
                          wording will produce an appreciable advance in this expanded understanding
                          of the prayer. In fact, to the degree that a change of wording might upset
                          the recitation of the prayer, the frequent and common usage of the prayer
                          in common, or dilute some of the power of the prayer that only comes from
                          such deep cultural entrenchment, a change of wording might actually
                          _obscure_ our deeper appreciation of the prayer that Jesus taught us.

                          I think that fresh translations of the prayer have an important place. I
                          just don't think that we need to go disrupting such a profound consensus of
                          communal prayer life. There is a certain misguided arrogance in
                          trying. Instead, I think we need to help deepen the appreciation for the
                          meaning of our established idiom.

                          thomas.

                        • Heavyruner@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 5 1:05 PM
                            Thomas wrote that Cardinal Ratzinger has argued:
                            "while the use of the vernacular was promoted so that people would understand
                            the liturgy, that simply saying the words in the vernacular did not in itself
                            guarantee
                            a true spiritual understanding."

                            Such an argument leads us, ultimately, back, not to Latin, but to Greek and
                            Aramaic (maybe Syriac), since they are the original "holy" languages. If a
                            case can be made for such an argument, it must be made that the scribes
                            stepped on the slippery slope long, long ago. Since I love Greek, and
                            appreciate Aramaic and love Ephrem of Syria who wrote in Syriac, I say, Let
                            the Reform Begin!

                            Grace and Peace,
                            David Oliver-Holder
                            Roundy Memorial Baptist Church
                            Milwaukee, Wisconsin
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 5 1:28 PM
                              on 5/5/02 4:05 PM, Heavyruner@... at Heavyruner@... wrote:

                              > Thomas wrote that Cardinal Ratzinger has argued:
                              > "while the use of the vernacular was promoted so that people would understand
                              > the liturgy, that simply saying the words in the vernacular did not in itself
                              > guarantee
                              > a true spiritual understanding."
                              >
                              > Such an argument leads us, ultimately, back, not to Latin, but to Greek and
                              > Aramaic (maybe Syriac), since they are the original "holy" languages. If a
                              > case can be made for such an argument, it must be made that the scribes
                              > stepped on the slippery slope long, long ago. Since I love Greek, and
                              > appreciate Aramaic and love Ephrem of Syria who wrote in Syriac, I say, Let
                              > the Reform Begin!
                              >
                              > Grace and Peace,
                              > David Oliver-Holder

                              As someone who has only a hobbyist's acquaintance with Greek and Hebrew,
                              I've often pondered if the original language is part of the "charism" of a
                              work of literature. As a student of Shakespeare, I would never hesitate to
                              say that there is an essence of the Bard which never gives himself up to the
                              translator; that to take away his English language is to take away
                              Shakespeare himself. To recite the Nicene Creed in English is to know that
                              something has slipped away in the translation.

                              Director of Music & Liturgical Arts
                              Church of the Messiah
                              Toronto
                            • M. Thannisch
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 5 3:06 PM
                                I agree with you that any Christian who has had good Catechises will know
                                what the Lord's prayer is supposed to mean, whether or not he actually aware
                                of this when he prays it or uses it in Liturgy.

                                > It seems to me that the traditional English wording of the Lord's Prayer
                                is
                                > an _idiom_ . Like all idioms, it means something more, even different
                                > from, the plain words on the page. While the plain words that are recited
                                > do convey some of the meaning of the prayer, I dare say that the greater
                                > meaning is infused into it from our experience, our spiritual life, our
                                > catechism, our theological training. I suspect that most Christians, even
                                > the least formed, can give a reasonable accounting of its general
                                > meaning.

                                Do they really disrupt the consensus of communal prayer life? I have been
                                using the "new" Lord's prayer in English and Spanish for about 20 years. In
                                fact my family only knows the new prayer in Spanish and learned the
                                traditional Lord's prayer when they came into the US. I admit, when I first
                                learned the ICET it took a little while to get used to, but for
                                consistancy's sake I liked it. Sooner or later, English will transform to
                                the point it cannot be used, but why can't we get together, (the liturgical
                                churches anyway) and agree on a text, and let people be bilingual for a
                                while. Then they can use which ever is appropriate to their situation.

                                > I think that fresh translations of the prayer have an important place. I
                                > just don't think that we need to go disrupting such a profound consensus
                                of
                                > communal prayer life. There is a certain misguided arrogance in
                                > trying. Instead, I think we need to help deepen the appreciation for the
                                > meaning of our established idiom.

                                BTW, I am not sure how traditional to all traditions the traditional Lord's
                                prayer is. Back in the days when we started public school in Texas with the
                                Lord's Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance, we prayed, "forgive us our debts
                                as we forgive those who have debts against us" and I note that the English
                                BCP that I have handy says, "And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive
                                them that trespass against us..." not to mention our Father whcih art om
                                Heaven." just goes to show that even our "Traditional" Lord's prayer has
                                gone through some changes. We did survivie them.

                                Shalom in Yeshua ha Moshiach

                                Michael Joe Thannisch
                                mjthan@...
                              • fcsenn@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 5 3:11 PM
                                  In a message dated 5/5/2002 8:42:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                  baydame@... writes:

                                  > I would like to chime in on the translation issue.
                                  > IMHO the point of all these words is that we are in relationship to God as
                                  > we are in relationship to each other. It does not matter how we express
                                  > our
                                  > sin and faith as long as we know who and what we are. We are God's beloved
                                  > creation, given to lapses in faith, morals, whatever with God and creation.
                                  > We return to God and become whole with God and the creation when we live in
                                  > harmony with creation.

                                  You can express this relationship in free prayer however you want, but we're
                                  talking about using texts that are only versions of original texts, and which
                                  therefore may have original meanings that might, in fact, convict us of
                                  deeper sin (e.g. "forgive us our debts, as we forgiveour debtors" instead of
                                  "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us") or
                                  provoke us to greater faith (e.g. "save us from the time of trial" as opposed
                                  to "lead us not into temptation").

                                  FCSenn

                                • fcsenn@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 5 3:12 PM

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 5 3:26 PM
                                      thomas@... writes:

                                      > Ah, here is the rub. In defending the traditional English wording of the
                                      > Lord's Prayer, I never suggested that the translation is a good one, or
                                      > that it brings all the meaning of the original out, or that better
                                      > translations aren't possible. But I look at all the controversy about the
                                      > prayer and its translation, and I am not sure that getting all the meaning
                                      > and nuance is really an achievable goal for one, brief, memorized, English
                                      > language prayer. You might do better than the traditional text, but you
                                      > won't really get it right, an you will have to embalm one particular
                                      > reading to achieve the goal.

                                      Correct. You never get it right. So it's not bad to have options. Those of
                                      us who have used the LBW (and I presume also those who have used the BCP)
                                      have used the ICET translation and the Prayer Book (note: it's not the KJV)
                                      versions of the Lord's Prayer alternately for twenty-five years. A whole
                                      generation has grown up using both versions. I don't know how many versions
                                      we could internalize simultaneously, but we've done O.K. with two, and our
                                      understanding of the text is, I dare say, richer because of this.

                                      > Cardinal Ratzinger wrote about this subject in one of his works when
                                      > talking about Latin versus vernacular. He pointed out that, while the use
                                      > of the vernacular was promoted so that people would understand the liturgy,
                                      >
                                      > that simply saying the words in the vernacular did not in itself guarantee
                                      > a true spiritual understanding. He pointed out that some might actually
                                      > have a deeper understanding of what is being said praying in Latin than
                                      > many people do praying in the vernacular. His words were widely
                                      > misrepresented (as so many of his are), by both friend and foe as
                                      > expressing opposition to use of the vernacular, but that wasn't his point.

                                      I understand what Cardinal Ratzinger is saying. Those who have even a modest
                                      understanding of another language have a deeper understanding when they can
                                      at least follow that language. This morning our choir sang Bach's Cantata
                                      BXV 93, "Wer nur den lieben Gott laesst walten," auf Deutsch. The text with
                                      a parallel translation was made available to the congregation. Apart from
                                      the recitatives which fly along pretty fast, the arias provided more
                                      elongated meditations on the text and gave those of us who know some German a
                                      chance to really appreciate what Bach was doing with the text. In any event,
                                      I find German the most difficult of all the languages I've studied to put
                                      into good English, especially German verse. This may be why there are so few
                                      good translations of the chorales. And the translations that are good
                                      English verse, like those of Catherine Winkworth's, take liberties with the
                                      German text. So she renders "Wer nur den lieben Gott laesst walten" as "If
                                      thou but suffer God to guide thee." Those who know a bit of German will see
                                      my point. Good English verse. But it's not Georg Nuemark.

                                      FCSenn

                                    • bpglenn
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 5 3:36 PM
                                        I think the exception you mention behooves us to always have
                                        translations that are understandable. I'm all for beautiful liturgical
                                        language, but if the average worshipper doesn't understand it it's of
                                        little use. We might as well go back to Latin or Greek and let the
                                        assembly pray private prayers (NOT!). That said, in my church the folks
                                        always reverted to the traditional Lord's Prayer regardless of what was
                                        printed.

                                        +Glenn

                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 5 4:02 PM
                                          While I have been contemplating teaching my children Hebrew and Greek
                                          (Actually they started teaching themselves Hebrew), I do not think this is
                                          the answer. The Jews and Muslims have done it this way. The scriptures are
                                          always read in Hebrew in the synagogue, and the only Koran that can exist
                                          must be the original in classical Arabic. Many of our Eastern brethren
                                          still sing parts of their liturgies in Koine Greek (I am thinking of the
                                          resurrection song of Easter). While I would love and desire that all
                                          Christians would learn both languages and study the scriptures in them, I
                                          see two problems. First, it's not going to happen, unless we have a radical
                                          change. (After school catechises five days a week). Second, since we are
                                          dealing with dead languages I am not sure how accurate our understanding
                                          will be. If Koine Greek had been passed along at schools the way Hebrew
                                          schools pass on Hebrew, maybe we would have a fighting chance.

                                          How many in your congregations would jump up for the opportunity to learn
                                          Koine Greek.

                                          As to the original language being part of the charisma, I agree with that
                                          100%. The Muslims have a point that the Q'uran in anything but Classical
                                          Arabic is just a translation. I have read much in translation, whether from
                                          Spanish to English, English to German, and Czech to English (and German) and
                                          vise versa. I've read the Hobbit in all four languages. The translation
                                          just does not quite catch it, even though it may come close. Whether we
                                          teach things in original or not, we do need to teach people how people
                                          thought in other languages. I find that translations that are the most
                                          faithful are done by people who understand how people think in both
                                          languages. I also note, that related languages tend to pass on ideas more
                                          easily, for example, Wilhelm Shakespeare is excellent in German, but only so
                                          so in Spanish. Ditto for Corrie ten Boom. Her writing are much more alive
                                          in English and German than they are in Spanish or Czech. I also think our
                                          catechises could be better. When I hear one substance in the creed, my mind
                                          goes back to origins of the Nicene creed. When I hear Jesus talking about
                                          eggs and scorpions and fish and snakes, while I may not remember the words,
                                          I do remember that egg and scorpion are similar in Aramaic as are fish and
                                          snakes. I also realise that when Jesus says we must hate our father and
                                          mother, He is not talking about the way we should hate sin.

                                          Anyway, I do agree, we loose things in translation.

                                        • DJP4LAW@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 5 9:31 PM
                                            In a message dated 5/5/02 5:28:52 PM Central Daylight Time, fcsenn@...
                                            writes:

                                            > I find German the most difficult of all the languages I've studied to put
                                            > into good English, especially German verse. This may be why there are so
                                            > few
                                            > good translations of the chorales. And the translations that are good
                                            > English verse, like those of Catherine Winkworth's, take liberties with the
                                            > German text

                                            This is why I appreciate the "translations" that accompany the Helmut Rilling
                                            recordings of the Bach cantatas: They are little more than word-for-word
                                            renditions (admittedly, still interpretations; but less glaring than
                                            full-scale attempts to "translate"), but they allow those with no knowledge
                                            of German to get the gist of the text while allowing those of us with some
                                            acquaintance of German to play with the text while not losing out on the bits
                                            we don't quite get. I don't contend that it's a perfect solution or that that
                                            contradicts anything that Pr. Frank says. I simply commend Rilling's (and I
                                            understand that it is the Maestro's insistence that the translations be
                                            treated that way) as an approach that seems to respect the integrity of the
                                            German text while recognizing the (economic) needs of the listening public.
                                            (All this is beside the issue of whether one appreciates Rilling's approach
                                            to the music. I listen primarily because I am a great fan of Arlene Auger --
                                            of blessed memory -- but find that I deeply sympathize with his tempi and
                                            dynamic interpretations. Those later considerations drive my musicologist
                                            friend wild. But I digress!)

                                            I hope I have not encouraged an off-topic line of argument.

                                            Dwight Penas
                                            Minneapolis, MN

                                            P.S. Hope to meet some of you at the Center for Catholic and Evangelical
                                            Theology's conference -- Mary, Mother of God -- at St. Olaf in June.

                                          • fcsenn@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 5 9:54 PM
                                              In a message dated 5/5/2002 11:32:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                              DJP4LAW@... writes:

                                              > . I simply commend Rilling's (and I
                                              > understand that it is the Maestro's insistence that the translations be
                                              > treated that way) as an approach that seems to respect the integrity of the
                                              >
                                              > German text while recognizing the (economic) needs of the listening public.

                                              Personally, I regard Helmuth Rilling as a worthy successor to Hans Richter.
                                              Both conductors studied and performed almost everything Bach wrote. Both
                                              appreciated the religious (not just "spiritual") dimensions of Bach's music,
                                              specifically its anchorage in Lutheran orthodoxy. I also like Rilling's
                                              tendency toward 18th century performance style, although he's not ruthless
                                              about it. Richter, in his own way, liberated Bach from the 19th century
                                              romantics who thought they "discovered" him, but made his music lugubrious.

                                              FCSenn

                                            • Doug Morrison-Cleary, OSL
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 6 6:22 AM
                                                Of course, to say that there is only one traditional English
                                                translation of the Lord's Prayer is quite incorrect. There are at
                                                least two. The version used by most English speaking Reformed
                                                churches is not the same as the Prayer Book version (debts in place
                                                of trespasses being the main difference). Unfortunately, as the
                                                church unions have occurred over the last half century or more, the
                                                tendency has been for smaller Reformed groups to unite with larger
                                                non-reformed groups. In each of these cases that I know of, what has
                                                happened (by default) has been that numbers of people have had to
                                                make the switch from the Reformed prayer to the Prayer Book prayer.
                                                It does and can happen!

                                                For instance, while you would be very hard pressed to find an United
                                                Methodist (UM) congregation that doesn't use 'trespasses' or the
                                                modern version, prior to 1968 a small but significant portion of
                                                those who are now UM were of a Reformed tradition. The UM Hymnal has
                                                both traditional plus the modern translations in it. In handing on
                                                the Lord's Prayer to my catechumens one year when I was serving a UM
                                                congregation, I had a former member of the EUB church (the Reformed
                                                partner) pass on the 'debts' form, a former Methodist Episcopal pass
                                                on the 'trespasses' form, and the congregation as a whole pass on the
                                                modern translation.

                                                The peculiar place a particular English translation of the Lord's
                                                Prayer has in modern Catholicism has already been commented upon. I
                                                recognise that this muddies the waters somewhat for Catholics.
                                                However, it took less than a generation for an English version to
                                                completely supplant the Latin, didn't it? (Or had a vernacular
                                                version already entered the English speaking Catholic consciousness
                                                before the liturgical reforms of the late 60s and early 70s?) I
                                                realise that Latin to English is easier than English to English...
                                                but, find a good translation, have the Vatican approve it, and 'sell'
                                                it as a truly and uniquely Catholic Lord's Prayer. The conservatives
                                                will love the 'uniquely' Catholic and Vatican-approved nature of it
                                                while the liberals will appreciate the good translation. And the rest
                                                of us English speaking Western christians will soon begin teaching it
                                                and using it because its hard to argue with both good scholarship and
                                                however umpteen million Catholics!!! <grin>

                                                Doug

                                                On 5/5/2002 at 1:08 PM Thomas R. Jackson wrote:

                                                >Ah, here is the rub. In defending the traditional English wording
                                                of the
                                                >Lord's Prayer, I never suggested that the translation is a good one,
                                                or
                                                >that it brings all the meaning of the original out, or that better
                                                >translations aren't possible. But I look at all the controversy
                                                about the
                                                >prayer and its translation, and I am not sure that getting all the
                                                meaning
                                                >and nuance is really an achievable goal for one, brief, memorized,
                                                English
                                                >language prayer.
                                                <snipped>
                                                >I think that fresh translations of the prayer have an important
                                                place. I
                                                >just don't think that we need to go disrupting such a profound
                                                consensus
                                                >of
                                                >communal prayer life. There is a certain misguided arrogance in
                                                >trying. Instead, I think we need to help deepen the appreciation
                                                for the
                                                >meaning of our established idiom.
                                                >
                                                >thomas.

                                                The Rev'd Doug Morrison-Cleary, OSL, of Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
                                                Presbyter, Uniting Church in Australia and Brother, Order of Saint
                                                Luke
                                                dougmc@...
                                                business: offering consulting services in liturgy, theology, and
                                                technology
                                                consulting@...
                                                http://www.hildormen.org
                                              • fcsenn@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 6 6:39 AM
                                                  In a message dated 5/6/2002 8:29:18 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                                  dougmc@... writes:

                                                  > Of course, to say that there is only one traditional English
                                                  > translation of the Lord's Prayer is quite incorrect. There are at
                                                  > least two.

                                                  There are at least three. The Reformed/Baptist version has "debts," the
                                                  Prayer Book version used by Anglicans, Catholics, Lutherans, and some other
                                                  mainliners has "trespasses," and the ICET version used sometimes by
                                                  Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, and Presbyterians (Catholics use the ICET
                                                  doxology separated from the last petition by the embolism "Deliver us from
                                                  every evil") has "sins." Each one of these versions can claim ecumenical
                                                  use.

                                                  FCSenn

                                                • fbauerschmidt
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 6 3:43 PM
                                                    --- In liturgy-l@y..., "Doug Morrison-Cleary, OSL" <dougmc@h...>
                                                    wrote:
                                                    > However, it took less than a generation for an English version to
                                                    > completely supplant the Latin, didn't it? (Or had a vernacular
                                                    > version already entered the English speaking Catholic consciousness
                                                    > before the liturgical reforms of the late 60s and early 70s?)

                                                    Actually, the BCP version was well known to Catholics before Vatican
                                                    II, largely through recitation of the rosary. Why and when that
                                                    particular translation was adopted by English speaking Catholics, I
                                                    do not know.

                                                    F Bauerschmidt
                                                  • alexdb20008
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 6 4:38 PM
                                                      --- In liturgy-l@y..., "fbauerschmidt" <fbauerschmidt@y...> wrote:
                                                      > Actually, the BCP version was well known to Catholics before
                                                      Vatican
                                                      > II, largely through recitation of the rosary. Why and when that
                                                      > particular translation was adopted by English speaking Catholics, I
                                                      > do not know.
                                                      >
                                                      > F Bauerschmidt

                                                      That's a very interesting question. I'm not sure I know the answer,
                                                      but I will say that every American version of the Latin-English
                                                      missal from the pre-Vatican II days I've ever seen -- no matter how
                                                      old -- has the Prayer Book version in the English column, minus the
                                                      doxology of course. That is not true of some of the other Mass
                                                      texts, like the Gloria or Credo, where there seems to have been a
                                                      greater diversity in translations (to my untrained eyes at least).

                                                      Oh, and the American missals I've seen always have replicated the
                                                      **American** BCP version of the Pater Noster as opposed to the 1662
                                                      English Book's translation (ie, "who art" rather than "which
                                                      art"; "on earth as it is" rather than "in earth, as it is";
                                                      and "those who trespass" rather than "them that trespass"). I'd be
                                                      curious to know how non-American versions of the pre-Vatican II
                                                      missal (or the Breviary, Ritual or other books) translated the Pater
                                                      Noster...British ones in particular.

                                                      I'd also be interested to hear if anythone knows anything about the
                                                      translation procedures for home-use missals in the old pre-ICEL days,
                                                      when the missals on the market carried the imprimatur of a cardinal
                                                      or bishop (I have number with Cardinal Spellman's imprimatur, for
                                                      example) but not a larger English language liturgical authority. Did
                                                      the English translations simply have to be approved by the bishop in
                                                      question, or was there a higher authority governing the process and
                                                      maintaining standards of English translation?

                                                      Alex
                                                    • JSFMACLJR@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , May 6 4:50 PM
                                                        In a message dated 5/6/2002 19:41:06 Eastern Daylight Time,
                                                        alexdb20008@... writes:

                                                        > I'd be
                                                        > curious to know how non-American versions of the pre-Vatican II
                                                        > missal (or the Breviary, Ritual or other books) translated the Pater
                                                        > Noster...British ones in particular.

                                                        Dear Alex,

                                                        In the Republic of Ireland, the Pater Noster was translated (1950) as:
                                                        1. "...who art in heaven"
                                                        2. "...on earth as it is in heaven"
                                                        3. "...as we forgive them that trespass against us."

                                                        It appears to be the same translation as used in the Canadian BCP.

                                                        Sandford MacLean