Re: [liturgy-l] Exsultet - Lite

  • Theodore R. Lorah, Jr.
    Message 1 of 115 , Apr 4, 2002
      If you desire to know the history of the Exultet and also see the entire
      text, Thomas Forrest Kelly wrote a book "The Exultet in Southern Italy" New
      York: Oxford Univ. Press, 1996. It was rather pricy, but it does have the
      entire text--including the bee stuff.

      Ted Lorah

      James O'Regan wrote:

      > Cody requested and I snipped:
      >
      > > But I want to hear--and I want my parish to hear--about the night of
      > > nights that, "scatters evil, washes sin away, restores integrity to
      > > the fallen, puts hatred to flight. . . " and all the other wonders of
      > > the Paschal Vigil.
      >
      > Ami I right in thinking that the exultet found in the Roman
      > sacramentary is dissimilar to the BCP or LBW? If so, I would
      > suggest the Roman version. It is simple yet demands a
      > powerful voice to carry it off. It isn't a responsorial thingy
      > but, if performed by a good cantor, it is hard to beat.
      >
      > James O'Regan
      > http://www.jamesoregan.com
      > tel 613-824-4706

      > To write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:

    • Father Robert Lyons, SST
      Message 115 of 115 , Mar 28 7:15 PM
        beswanky76 said:
        > That is true. I copied and pasted it from an Easter Vigil liturgy
        > posted by an ELCA pastor. Apparently he assigned the role to the
        > presider in his congregation.

        In actuality, in most rites, an ordained cleric is supposed to chant the
        Exsultet. I know that, of late, it has become something of a fad to let a
        non-ordained individual (usually a Cantor) do it, but it is supposed to be
        done by an ordained deacon or, in his absence, and ordained presbyter.

        I assume that particular pastor didn't have the benefit of an ordained
        associate, so he assigned it to himself.

        Rob+

        --
        Father Robert Lyons, SST
        "Purity in doctrine, compassion in application."