New Roman Missal

  • Thomas R. Jackson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
      The third edition of the Missale Romana was presented today

      http://www.vatican.va/cgi-bin/w3-msql/news_services/bulletin/news/10961.html?index=10961&lang=en

      thomas
    • Paul Walton
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
        Is that in English anywhere yet?

        > From: "Thomas R. Jackson" <thomas@...>
        > Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:50:46 -0500
        > To: "liturgy-l-yahoogroups.com" <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>,
        > "npmusers-yahoogroups.com" <npmusers@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [liturgy-l] New Roman Missal
        >
        > The third edition of the Missale Romana was presented today
        >
        > http://www.vatican.va/cgi-bin/w3-msql/news_services/bulletin/news/10961.html?i
        > ndex=10961&lang=en
        >
        > thomas

        > To write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:

      • Thomas R. Jackson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2002
          >Is that in English anywhere yet?

          Here is an English language press report from the Vatican Information Service:

          THIRD EDITION OF THE ROMAN MISSAL IS PRESENTED
          VATICAN CITY, MAR 22, 2002 (VIS) - Cardinal Jorge Arturo Medina Estevez and
          Archbishop Pio Tamburrino, respectively prefect and secretary of the
          Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of Sacraments, presented
          today the third edition of the Roman Missal in the Holy See Press Office.
          Cardinal Medina indicated that the new edition follows editions in 1970 and
          1975 and that the decree with which the congregation publishes it was
          approved by the Holy Father on April 10, 2000. Cardinal Medina said: "The
          edition that we present is the result of a lot of work of revision and
          updating which began in 1991 and continued in 1996, years in which the
          Congregation has celebrated its plenary meetings."
          He said that it is "an official, updated edition, to be used for the
          celebration of the Eucharist in Latin and it forms the immediate base for
          translations into the national languages." "The decree of promulgation of
          this third edition establishes the necessity of a global revision of the
          missals used up until now through a new presentation of the translated texts
          to the Holy See for the necessary 'recognitio'," he explained.
          This new edition contains some touch-ups and new features in the text of the
          "Istitio Generalis", that part of the Missal that consists of "a directory
          about the Eucharistic celebration, with information about its theological,
          liturgical, pastoral and spiritual character."
          Cardinal Medina emphasized that among the new, most relevant developments is
          "the possibility of administering Holy Communion to the faithful under both
          species," and that it is "the responsibility of the diocesan bishop to
          establish norms for his diocese" regarding this issue. In addition, "the
          diocesan bishop can leave the decision to distribute Holy Communion under
          both species, outside of the specified cases in which it is not advised, to
          the discretion of each priest, as pastor of a particular community."
          Furthermore, a new chapter (the ninth) was added about liturgical
          inculturation, in which the "principles and criteria that must be applied
          when an episcopal conference deems it necessary to introduce in the Missal
          different adaptations from those anticipated for the same missal" are
          highlighted. The prefect of the dicastery emphasized that the adaptations
          "are an exception" and must yield to the "spiritual good of the individual
          churches, safeguarding the substantial unity of the Roman Rite."
          Finally, the cardinal affirmed that various memorials for new saints and
          patrons, distributed throughout the year, have been included in the
          universal calendar of the Church. Also, a new Preface for the martyrs has
          been added, the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary has new formulas and among
          the votive masses there is now the formula called "De Dei Misericordia."
          Archbishop Tamburrino affirmed that this third edition "has taken note of
          particular adaptations of the Roman Missal in the last thirty years in many
          local churches through the translations into spoken languages and confirmed
          by the Holy See. In this sense, the new Roman Missal gathers together some
          usages already official in the translated Missals and represents a
          development of the Roman Rite."
          .../ROMAN MISSAL/MEDINA:TAMBURRINO VIS 020322 (520
        • TAPoelker@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 27, 2002
            In a message dated 3/22/02 4:42:36 PM Central Standard Time,
            thomas@... quotes from a Vatican news release:

            > The prefect of the dicastery emphasized that the adaptations

            From past context, I gather that "dicastery" is a generic term for offices in
            the Vatican bureaucracy. Can anyone give me a strict definition? What is
            included or excluded under this term? Does it refer only to administrative
            units of a certain level? The Greek etymology in my American English
            dictionary relates the word to the law courts of ancient Athens. Does
            "dicastery" refer only to those parts of the Holy See which render legal
            judgments or does it include the entire Roman Curia, that is, the entire
            monarchical court of the pope?

            Tom Poelker
            St. Louis MO USA

          • Steve Benner
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2011
              I'm really only interested in looking at the Order of Mass and the
              translations of the basic propers (collects esp). I assume that the
              new Missal only has 1 collect for each Sunday (and not one for each
              year of the 3-year cycle). Assuming that's the case, then would my
              needs be met with the St Joseph annual missal? I don't really want to
              spend $60 for a missal I'd never actually use.

              --
              Fr. Steve Benner
              oremus.org
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2011
                That sounds like what you need, rather than a Daily Missal.

                Good comments here locally about the new Mass translation. I've heard several say why weren't they given this back in the 60's?

                SWR

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2011
                  I went to the 12:00 Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC
                  on Sunday, because inter alia they do a VG job liturgically and musically.
                  Everything came off pretty much as expected, with the celebrant staying on
                  message except when he said "We" rather than "I" in beginning a section of
                  the Creed. There was a service sheet which bolded the places where new
                  language was involved. The Mass began without explanation of new language
                  going to be used - we all simply did it, and that was fine. And of course
                  there were goofs on the part of the people throughout. But the language
                  itself came across as good liturgical language, i.e., a cut above normal street
                  discourse.