Re: [liturgy-l] baptisms during Lent

  • Art Hebbeler
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 7, 2002
      At 03:24 PM 2/7/2002 -0500, John Dornheim wrote:
      >fcsenn@... wrote:
      >
      ><SNIP>
      > > Yes, we have made exceptions for family logistical problems. To acquiesce
      > > because people don't have understanding or commitment is about as much
      > > argument as one could mount for the restoration of the catechumenate
      > and the
      > > return of the whole congregation to the catechumenate during Lent (as
      > Luther
      > > reportedly suggested).

      <SNIP>

      > > FCSenn
      > >

      >Again, no arguement but, in this our Lutheran church, I've yet to seen a
      >movement towards reform like this or anything else. Clergy who wish to
      >embark on
      >this would find little public support. Or so has been my experience.
      >YMMV
      >John Dornheim

      Well, this young pastor has been clear and forthright about appropriate
      times for baptism.

      Only one family has come asking to change the policy established by the
      council that baptisms would be set four times a year, save for the obvious
      emergencies. (While the Vigil is ideal for all, I'm not adverse to
      Pentecost, All Saints or Baptism of Our Lord as baptismal festivals as
      well). I suggested waiting 2 weeks for All Saints, but the family (with
      granddad the council member glaring away) pleaded that "Grandmother from
      <out of state> is getting up in years and may not be here then." I
      acquiesced, and then met grandma on the baptismal day--a woman in perfect
      health and, save that unknown time we all face--was not nearly as close to
      her final days as was represented. Family hasn't been seen in church since.

      Since then, with continued education in the congregation, there is
      reasonably good support for this practice. It is also consistent with the
      practice of our Korean sisters and brothers, who recently left the PCROK to
      become a part of our congregation.

      Admittedly, John is correct. It can be a rough process. But, it can be a
      rewarding trek to understanding and recovery of that which has been lost in
      the modern day.

      Art Hebbeler
    • M. Thannisch
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 8, 2002
        I built several fonts in the Miskito Coast. They were all aroungd four
        feet high and about thirty six inches across, allowing for dunkng of an
        adult without the baptiser having to get in the water. (We did find out
        you shouldn't fill them to the brim, as with an adult being dunked, everyone
        within about three feet got soaked).

        Shalom in Yeshua ha Moshiach

        Michael Joe Thannisch
        mjthan@...