Celtic Liturgies

  • John Dornheim
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
      A friend who is to be ordained into the priesthood in the Celtic Church
      (here in the US) asked me to inquire about ordination liturgies for her.
      Does anyone know of these and can direct me?

      Thanks,
      John Dornheim
    • M. Thannisch
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2002
        Dear John,

        I have checked a number of sites, and all I found was this:

        135-33. The Liturgy and Ritual of the Celtic Church. By F. E. Warren. 310
        pages. This is a history of the various aspects of Celtic Christianity,
        giving a history of its extent, its independence of Rome, the varying
        ceremonies and rituals associated with it, the nature of the priesthood, and
        the Irish, Scottish, Cornish, and Welsh material relating to the religion
        surviving from the earliest days. $46.50

        I think you could find it on Amazon.

        I'll keep looking around, blessings,

        Shalom in Yeshua ha Moshiach

        Michael Joe Thannisch
        mjthan@...

      • fcsenn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
          In a message dated 2/2/2002 2:02:22 PM Central Standard Time,
          john19@... writes:

          > A friend who is to be ordained into the priesthood in the Celtic Church
          > (here in the US) asked me to inquire about ordination liturgies for her.

          What is the Celtic Church? And in the U.S.? I thought that went out of
          business at the Synod of Whitby?

          FCSenn

        • John Dornheim
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
            I have not discussed theology with them. Here is their website:
            http://hometown.aol.com/stciarans

            John Dornheim

            fcsenn@... wrote:

            > What is the Celtic Church? And in the U.S.? I thought that went out of
            > business at the Synod of Whitby?
            >
            > FCSenn

          • njpanderson
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
              Another source I've found:

              http://www.continet.com/culdee/

              This church, St. Brendans, is in Oregon.

              Just began browsing the site, though.

              Thought I'd chip in.

              Nancy Anderson

              > fcsenn@a... wrote:
              >

              > > What is the Celtic Church? And in the U.S.? I thought that went
              out of
              > > business at the Synod of Whitby?
              > >
              > > FCSenn

            • M. Thannisch
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
                I'm not sure about this particular Celtic Church. There are several
                churches that call themselves Celtic. Some of them are Christian. Most use
                English translations of older rites such as the Stowe Missil or the Sarum
                missile. One of them received ordination at the hands of the Coptic Church
                (the original Celtic Church may have been Coptic. There are several items
                suggesting that they were influenced directly by Egyptian missionaries.

                > In a message dated 2/2/2002 2:02:22 PM Central Standard Time,
                > john19@... writes:
                >

                > > A friend who is to be ordained into the priesthood in the Celtic Church
                > > (here in the US) asked me to inquire about ordination liturgies for her.
                > >

                > What is the Celtic Church? And in the U.S.? I thought that went out of
                > business at the Synod of Whitby?
                >
                > FCSenn

                > To write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:

              • asteresplanetai
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
                  Blessed be God.

                  > From: "M. Thannisch" <mjthan@...>
                  > Subject: Re: Celtic Liturgies
                  >
                  > I'm not sure about this particular Celtic Church. There are several
                  > churches that call themselves Celtic. Some of them are Christian. Most use
                  > English translations of older rites such as the Stowe Missil or the Sarum
                  > missile. One of them received ordination at the hands of the Coptic Church
                  > (the original Celtic Church may have been Coptic. There are several items
                  > suggesting that they were influenced directly by Egyptian missionaries.

                  Does anyone really think a valid and licit bishop in good standing of
                  the actual Coptic Church of Egypt, would really ordain some unknown
                  American to serve an unheard-of rite in Oregon, which is far, far from
                  Alexandria?

                  Regards,

                  John Burnett
                • D
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
                    The group is called the British Orthodox Church and, yes, they
                    are in formal relationship with Pope Shenouda III... (I don't
                    know about the Oregon group you comment upon, John.) The website
                    of the British Orthodox Church is:

                    http://www.uk-christian.net/boc/

                    Grace and peace
                    Doug

                    On 2/5/2002 at 1:14 AM asteresplanetai wrote:

                    >Blessed be God.
                    >
                    >> From: "M. Thannisch" <mjthan@...>
                    >> Subject: Re: Celtic Liturgies
                    >>
                    >> I'm not sure about this particular Celtic Church. There are
                    several
                    >> churches that call themselves Celtic. Some of them are
                    Christian. Most
                    >use
                    >> English translations of older rites such as the Stowe Missil
                    or the Sarum
                    >> missile. One of them received ordination at the hands of the
                    Coptic
                    >Church
                    >> (the original Celtic Church may have been Coptic. There are
                    several
                    >items
                    >> suggesting that they were influenced directly by Egyptian
                    missionaries.

                    >Does anyone really think a valid and licit bishop in good
                    standing of
                    >the actual Coptic Church of Egypt, would really ordain some
                    unknown
                    >American to serve an unheard-of rite in Oregon, which is far,
                    far from
                    >Alexandria?
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >
                    >John Burnett

                    >To write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
                    >liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    >

                    >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • John Dornheim
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
                      Let us recall that my original post was for liturgies. It seems that we
                      may be treading near the topic of questioning the validity of one or
                      another group which is contrary to the purpose of this list.

                      Thanks,
                      John Dornheim, tossing his co-moderator hat back up on the shelf.
                    • M. Thannisch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
                        Dear John,

                        The one I was referring to which is under the auspices of the Coptic Church
                        is not the one in Oregon, but in Texas. I have not checked them out in
                        depth, so I do not know for sure. I do know that when they has a problem a
                        while back, it was discussed on the Coptic mailing list of which I am also a
                        member (or was).